Table Tennis Dilemma: Strengthening Backhand or Changing Playstyle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
There will always be an inherent weakness with LP/Anti among the masses. That's why numbers of users is not high at the lower and higher levels.
Out of experience playing I've definitely found LP/Anti players at BL/ County in the UK/Europe to be very few and far between. Especially when heading up to the higher divisions.

Even at club level how many pips/Anti players are there at everyone's clubs?.

Is it the skill of the player or just the equipment?.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
You can't attack backspins strongly though, there's not enough arc to attack a low backspin. A good player would be able to loop that attack back, and then it'll take some skills to keep the return short to avoid a power loop.
Yes you can and in fact it is easier to attack heavy backspin with LP than inverted. You can watch some LP tutorials on Chinese internet, basically backspin balls are opportunity balls for LPs. Tbh a lot of LP players don't realize the full potential of LP strokes due to limitations in their base technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Yes you can and in fact it is easier to attack heavy backspin with LP than inverted. You can watch some LP tutorials on Chinese internet, basically backspin balls are opportunity balls for LPs. Tbh a lot of LP players don't realize the full potential of LP strokes due to limitations in their base technique.
I think the key here is low backspin in the previous comment to be honest and creating arc off that low backspin ball to get it over the net. The next ball has to be a lift as it will be below net height which leaves an opening for that stronger topspin.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think the key here is low backspin in the previous comment to be honest and creating arc off that low backspin ball to get it over the net. The next ball has to be a lift as it will be below net height which leaves an opening for that stronger topspin.
It is easy to talk up anything. The proof of the pudding is in the play. Low heavy backspin (or any spin) is hard to attack period and the problem with doing it consistently also comes down to reading the spin and pace perfectly enough to be consistent not just on one shot but for multiple shots in a row on different points. When I play high level pips players, they aren't smashing all my low balls accurately., they have their fair share of makes and misses. And becoming consistent requires a significant amount of practice, quickness to take balls early, which requires a close to the table playing style with reads that not everyone is comfortable with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
It is easy to talk up anything. The proof of the pudding is in the play. Low heavy backspin (or any spin) is hard to attack period and the problem with doing it consistently also comes down to reading the spin and pace perfectly enough to be consistent not just on one shot but for multiple shots in a row on different points. When I play high level pips players, they aren't smashing all my low balls accurately., they have their fair share of makes and misses. And becoming consistent requires a significant amount of practice, quickness to take balls early, which requires a close to the table playing style with reads that not everyone is comfortable with.
Agreed NL. The other issues could be producing the speed off the LP to stop a counter

Not trying to hijack this thread with another how easy pips are to play with and how hard they are to play again btw.

Hoping OP finds and develops the backhand. Be good to see.

Reactions: Yuomay
This user has no status.
You can't attack backspins strongly though, there's not enough arc to attack a low backspin. A good player would be able to loop that attack back, and then it'll take some skills to keep the return short to avoid a power loop.

How do you get any chance to powerloop against players like this?

LPs are not just defensive - defense only LPs are usually of lower level, similar to inverted players who only push and block.

Reactions: longrange
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011

How do you get any chance to powerloop against players like this?

LPs are not just defensive - defense only LPs are usually of lower level, similar to inverted players who only push and block.
Is this the norm or the exception of a LP player?. I would think the exception.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
hey everyone, so I decided to be wise and listen and on the same time tackle my issue of dropping matches because my opponents actually succeeded in exploiting my weaknesses too easily.

So I decided to slow down my backhand rubber But stay inverted. This now gives me an extra option to get out of the backhand corner, I can use placement and specifically depth of blocks and pushes on death balls don’t pop up as much (which is great news for playing against short pips).

Reactions: pingpongpaddy