Is Timo Boll's Career At An End?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
The time is passing by and Timo is not that young anymore! As we could see during the WTTC in Paris, he's not as good as he used to be when it comes to playing against Chinese players. Does this mean It's all coming to an end for Timo Boll? Will he be able to beat the Chinese players one day like he used to? I'm afraid he won't, but what do you guys think?

timocareer.jpg

Timo Boll against Ma Long at the 2013 WTTC - Photo: Remy Gros

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
In march Samsonov beat Zhang Jike. There is one obvious thing, Timo is not youg any more, and for sure he is not going to play better then now. He is getting old, so his movement will be slower. Of course he will have many chances to find the way and from time to time beat top player, but in my opinion within 2 years he is going to leave top 10.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Timo is still in great form, however beating the top chinese players is still only an option when Timo is in good form and the chinese are in bad form. Talking about Xu Xin,Wang Hao, Ma Long and Zhang Jike. I think he can still take Yan An, Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, Chen Qi, Fan Zhendong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why Timo is Losing?

Everybody knows about his weeknesses. The frist and biggest one is his FH receive to a short serve. He does not use FH flick or BH flick from FH side. So most opponents serve to his short FH. That is why Lundqvist had his chance (but he shouldn’t). The other thing are his serves, they are not very differential, and very seldom he takes advantage after his serves. The last thing in my opinion Timo is not very fast and his shots are quite predictable. If he plays with chinese guys he always let them be the one in charge, in this way Timo mostly counts on their mistakes.
Although I would love to see him winning with Chinese players I do not believe he will have a big chance, maybe an occasion.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I agree with Sali, Timo struggles to beat the Chinese players because they have been analysing him for the past decade. I agree, Timo will have difficulty as the years go by with the very top players in the world, but one thing is for sure, his career is certainly not over.

The Germany team still need Timo to lead them and while he is still at a level when he can set the example. Also remember that Timo is still the European Champion, while you can still be the very best player in Europe, why on earth would you retire?

He isn't done yet ;)

This user has no status.
Although Timo was heroically fighting against Ma Long at times showing wonderful game he obviously gets slower which affects his anticipation and footwork. I have seen in this 1/4 match that his legs were pretty heavy as if they got stuck to the floor, of course Ma Long's topspins are very fast but Timo earlier would better anticipate those and either counterattack or block them at least. He has had better matches against the Chinese. Hopefully he will be still on fire as long as he can.

This user has no status.
Irkutt, stimmt. Yet I still would like for you to keep sharing your TT culture up there with some more pics and vids...
Hello, Der_Echte. Thank you for the interest to our TT. Over the past months we have not had any big tournaments with many good players, sometimes there's no time to shoot videos. But anyway If there's smth worth presenting I will try to make videos. Hope you enjoyed WC 2013 in Paris.....

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think Timo will still be around for a long time, he is like the David Beckham of the sport. Timo is still the best player in Europe so he will continue dominating for a while. I think the problem is the Chinese players are that good, it is so dam difficult for Boll to have a chance. I thought he played exceptionally well against Ma Long at the WTTC, but Ma Long is now in his prime. Maybe if Boll met a different Chinese player we would have seen a different outcome?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
absolutely non-sense! I mean Timo is only 32 and I guess he will continue to challenge the Chinese until hes at least 35.
Look at Samsonow who won the world cup against the top chinese players in 2009 where he was 33 or look at Kreanga who won the Europe Top 12
with almost 40 years of age. I mean as long as players like Kreanga (41), Schlager (40), Saive (44), and He Zhi Wen (51) are participating in global tournaments, theres no need for Boll to stop and I think he will stay in the Top 10 for the next 3 years....still worldclass!!!

The time is passing by and Timo is not that young anymore! As we could see during the WTTC in Paris, he's not as good as he used to be when it comes to playing against Chinese players. Does this mean It's all coming to an end for Timo Boll? Will he be able to beat the Chinese players one day like he used to? I'm afraid he won't, but what do you guys think?

timocareer.jpg

Timo Boll against Ma Long at the 2013 WTTC - Photo: Remy Gros

This user has no status.
I was at Paris and I think Boll played really well. In fact both him and Baum seemed to be hitting the ball with more power, maybe working on this or maybe new equipment? Boll had chances and after losing the first he should have won the second ,ma got a couple of lucky edges when down. Also Ma always has lui in the corner, as soon as he struggles lui puts him right. Would be interesting for other coaches to advise Boll on how to try beat the Chinese! as said in previous posts the Chinese have worked him out and have clones who play like this to train against. A joined up euro super training camp is needed to start to try to challenge the Asian domination.32 is still quite young for tt so I reckon 2 more decent worlds for Boll .It should still be every year though! Remember waldner at 38 thrashing ma lin when everyone had come to see him retired.....so maybe one last hurra in the locker..For tiiiimmmmmooooooo

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
he is 32 and it is not and old age for a European player . we see he preformed really well at this WTTC so he is not ended yet . i think he will be in top 10 for 3 or 4 another years . generally European players prime time is much longer than the chinese players prime time because they train less than chinese players so their body last longer .

Last edited:

ZJK

This user has no status.

ZJK

This user has no status.
Jan 2013
When i read the beginning post i had to check the date because it sounded like 1.april post..
Round of sixteen he beat Kishikawa like it would be nothing, Zhang Jike couldnt do it better. Quarter final against Ma Long he maybe played his best match for a long time.
The 4 Top Chinese players are just incredible/too good and at a World Championship they play even better than in ,,normal'' mode.