parade.3.jpg

M_59664477_13122113_nmz.jpg

M_27660381_13122113_nmz.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Check this out, I took it from another forum:

Agree with you. I think they're using every chance to make news in case to increase the exposure to the public to attract young people who are not really interested in TT itself. I don't whether this strategy is good for TT.

Since you pick up my words, let me make it clear.

Do you know how did it come that military trainning is widely used among students and other people? It was not like a camping vacation organized by schools as an after-school activity in other countries. Before the year 1989 there's no military trainning to non military people at all. After the bloody suppression, Chinese goverment implanted military trainning in Universities. Freshmen were required to go to the camp for months and professers had to give lessons in the camp,espcially in 1989 in Peking Univ., students had their whole first college year in military camp and forced to learn no less than 5 subjects on policties and military as compulsory courses. Teachers were not willing to see their courses arranged at the first year, because it hardly disturbed the teaching and students wouldn't learn well. It is an expended and continuing revenge to students. I believe at the very begginning the goverment connived at physical punishment and abuse to students. This did not become better for years.

Now it usually lasts for weeks just in the campus of university but it is still necessary for students to be there and have polical courses. Following the example of goverment, some leaders of other institutions use this to their workers, believing this could help them to control their subordinate. For people in universities it's just a boring toutine for new members but no officers or principals dare to withdrawl the political symbol. LGL perhaps didn't know the original meaning of Chinese military trainning, either, like you. And I don't think he is stricter than any other coach in CNT nor it is time to flaunt power and killing. Maybe only a few people who don't know well about China will mistake it for intended show-off(that thought is partly related to China's international image), but in China, on one will think it as a show-off, meanwhile what to show? It's just a waste of money and time and a reminder of mind control and political obedience. For CNT, I feel maybe another meanning is to make news to promote themselves like stars to people who don't pay attention to table tennis, and I don't know whether it is a good strategy to promote table tennis. That's all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Since you pick up my words, let me make it clear.

Do you know how did it come that military trainning is widely used among students and other people? It was not like a camping vacation organized by schools as an after-school activity in other countries. Before the year 1989 there's no military trainning to non military people at all. After the bloody suppression, Chinese goverment implanted military trainning in Universities. Freshmen were required to go to the camp for months and professers had to give lessons in the camp,espcially in 1989 in Peking Univ., students had their whole first college year in military camp and forced to learn no less than 5 subjects on policties and military as compulsory courses. Teachers were not willing to see their courses arranged at the first year, because it hardly disturbed the teaching and students wouldn't learn well. It is an expended and continuing revenge to students. I believe at the very begginning the goverment connived at physical punishment and abuse to students. This did not become better for years.

Now it usually lasts for weeks just in the campus of university but it is still necessary for students to be there and have polical courses. Following the example of goverment, some leaders of other institutions use this to their workers, believing this could help them to control their subordinate. For people in universities it's just a boring toutine for new members but no officers or principals dare to withdrawl the political symbol. LGL perhaps didn't know the original meaning of Chinese military trainning, either, like you. And I don't think he is stricter than any other coach in CNT nor it is time to flaunt power and killing. Maybe only a few people who don't know well about China will mistake it for intended show-off(that thought is partly related to China's international image), but in China, on one will think it as a show-off, meanwhile what to show? It's just a waste of money and time and a reminder of mind control and political obedience. For CNT, I feel maybe another meanning is to make news to promote themselves like stars to people who don't pay attention to table tennis, and I don't know whether it is a good strategy to promote table tennis. That's all.

So what's new from LGL that can be called as "his leading style" as it is invented by the goverment? Without the official agreement and arrangment, which army in China is willing or have the right to receive the civilians to come to the camp? To be honest they wont learn anything helpful for their sports career, and it's nothing about survival education, just some walkings and simple shooting(if you were born in China, you should actually know what is contained right?), what else? Just a formality of mental obedience, de-liberalization, and maybe some box news. And this is a big movie for you.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Korea has some stuff like this too, but on a much smaller scale, but much better marketed to their people.

In Korea, unless you won a gold medal in Olympics, males are not exempt from a couple years of military service. I think this is a good thing. Freedom should come with some struggle and service/sacrifice. NOT being allowed to do what you want when you are young for a time is good training. Feel free to disagree.

Korean drama stars and music stars always have HUGE send-off ceremonies when they enter the military, usually in Uijeongbu where I lived. You couldn't get a bus to drive through that street in under 30 minutes it was so packed.

The anticipation and ceremony when they get out is also amazing, like recently with star Hyun-Bin. Amazing. LOTS of build-up and interest.

That kind of stuff builds trust with public and military if the military isn't trampling over people's rights, which Korean military hasn't since a few decades.

Recently, there has been a lot of reality series involving basic military training. 진짜 사나이 or "Real Men" maybe another way to say "True Warrior" is a popular series glamorizing the male together bonding aspect of military training. They get popular TV or movie figures to do the show and it is about what they all go through, how they come together doing it, and the challenges involved. This gets the public to identify positively with the nature of military service. They see their beloved stars doing, so since they see them doing it, the public generally feels better about having to do the same. There is a popular saying in Korean military Special Forces branch that roughly translates "Military Service is half the fun (or purpose) of life."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Strideforward.
I didn't quote anyone, good to know it was you.

Before I reply, I think we should leave politics out of sport, as the other forum - it is full of political haters and that thread has no table tennis value left - well done to all those posters.

So to answer your questions - yes i know of military training for all people/ university students etc
I know all the things you are talking about.

I just find it suprising why you or other people may think that this is:
a) a military thing / governement instructed thing (as another forum member joked - maybe Rio is to dangerious)
b) a marketing thing to promote TT (how in the world does this promote TT...... these training happen long before CNT was instructed to promote more TT in China)
c) encouraging CNT to become killers and promote war (from the other forum) - since when joining the army is becoming a killer. This is really some twisted and mess up mind.

I had inside discussion with top level coaches (head coach of one province, mens b team head coach of another province, one super league coach), and understood the "helpful for their sports career part" regarding these training.
It is really something really simple, but have people like yourself and another forum member that blows things out of proposition.
I wanted to tell that other person who thinks CNT is all killers now, that he should stop supporting CNT and all Chinese table tennis. One part he complains and moans, the other part he enjoy the table tennis - you can't have it both ways if you know what I mean.

Again, this got nothing to do with army or marketing, but rather one of the many training camps CNT does around the world and China in a calendar year. Next year this time, they will do this again. I won't be suprsied if CNT comes up with other types of camps, as we all know (or should know) that TT is beyond technique, but rather BMT and psychological nowadays, and more and more methods around that will happen.

You may be right and that they learn nothing. I'm sure LGL is human too and will make mistakes.
And i'm sure LGL just like me, don't know what is going on.
Lets just wait and see, but then again maybe those CCTV videos are all conspiracies too :p, so we may just never know the truth.

Yes I know CNT has camping trainings long ago. But it was not as noisy before as it now. So it is not specially for TT promotion but at least it is a CHANCE, though I prefer "Penhold vs Handshake" as a promotion. They having daily TT training before doesn't means one can see their daily trainning. Perhaps web media is not so well-developed years before. And I prefer the outward bound, like many companies will do to their stuff, organized in 2006 which contains many stimulus programs in the playground. But this military trainning I won't buy it, it should've not become a tradition just because of LGL's own mind and his own military background, and it also has a suspicion of flattering the goverment for LGL to show political correctness, as you know it is actually a goverment administrating position for a head coach in sports team.

And I don't think highly of the effect of this trainning, what mental power or control can you actually give in lessons for several days or weeks while the social environment all around you since you were born speaks the opposite? That's why I say a FORMALITY or SYMBOL. To be honest when I was a college student I felt mentally easy-going in that short period of time because I lead a simple life (just walking under the sun, though physically exhausted) and wouldn't compete with my classmates on academic performance, and no one will actually take it seriously that who performed well in the trainning. Maybe It is more mentally challenging for a roller coaster. Same thing for body trainning.

And for people who dislike it, let me make an analogy: if I dislike some policies of the goverment- the agent of this country, I must dislike the whole thing of this country, not really a good logic.

I won't debate on this topic with you any more.Sorry about the flame. Is that right or interesting for military or political hands to reach every aspact of your life, schooling, working, sports, entertainment, arts, commercials...(our troop has many generals who don't know how to direct a war so others please don't worry about the public militarism voice and the lies "China is going to invade neighbors!)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
I agree 100% with Tony's Table Tennis's view on this. I think someone just read too much into CNT's military training and is trying to put a political spin on it. Both Liu Guoliang and team members such as Wang Hao and Zhang Jike have stated in their interview that they view the military training as an opportunity to promote team bonding, mental toughness, and discipline. Nothing more and nothing less.

The daily routines they went through in one week's military training from December 14 - 20 included formation, fitness, aiming, live-fire exercises, field walk, parade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
You have a much better summary than the players themselves,zjkfanforever, just like what I did in the final parad many years before. Good student.

Thank god, I'm not trying to put polics in it, it is political thing at the very beginning. It is OK for you fans to feel happy with that, to see your idols in different modeling when there is no match, or to put " follow the command of the Party" picture here.

I came here just to tell someone stop playing games of defendant default jugdement to the views you are not agree with in a different place and confusing the concept of this trainning with something like "boy scouts" or "rules in CNT". Let's be honest, if these were not done by the idols, would you like it? And I'm not going to blame players following it, they have no mistakes.

If you really want an army to train you to be strong and tough, stay there for at least a year. And one more thing to tell you, tattooing is forbidden in Chinese Army.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
I think the reason why so many people see it as something bad is because military has a negative image in many people's heads.
sports players generally have a good image.
so when you put those two together military comes out with a better image while sports players comes out with a worse image.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Yeah, and if you come with some bad expierence then that is worse.
I think it is very important to look at this with a neutral view point.

Military is normally a "tougher" environement.
This "training" is to make the boys "tougher", there is a saying that kids will become adults from military service. And I still believe this is true.

Many countries has lifted compulsory military service, and I have seen how the maturity of the new generation has dropped. It is defiantly a "weaker mind" with lower risk taking mindset.
No matter what, there is always pros and cons, but in this case, it is a pretty neutral - making CNT tougher, and give them the psycological advantage and prepare them in all possible ways for the future. And yes, maybe not all methods will work - we will only know the results in the future.

Side track a big - regarding negative image of military. I guess some people never been in a natural disaster before - where the heros are these army boys. They job is not just to fight, but also to save. During this year's lushan/sichuan earthquake, 8000 soldiers was dispatch within 24 hours. But I think people tend to forget and only remember and have mindsets like - but it is these guys job to do this and that. I guess this is how screw up human mentality is nowadays. We only remember the bad, but tend not to remember the good - and even deny the good.

So I think, to be neutral, don't think too much about "military" but rather see it as "8 days of serious training" - above the traditional way of CNT training.
Its 8 days, not 80 days :)
And as I said, there is always something good and bad, maybe CNT got 8 days of the "good" part, right?

I think most people (me included) don't go so deep in their thinking.
you just see a military uniform and a tt player and it just gives you a bad vibe.
what are this camouflaged uniforms for originally? to disguise you better from the enemy thus not getting killed and killing easier, without being noticed.

maybe they could do the same or even harder training but wearing a t-shirt that says "peace and love for all human kind" surrounded by flowers.
also instead of doing it in a military base they could do it in the wilderness or in some taoist monastery.

it's nice to send the image to the world that table tennis and sports in general have nothing to do with killing or fighting or war.
because some people still get confused.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Yeah, I know what you mean.
But to those confused people, maybe they should read the history books, as military has been around as long as I recall.

But yeah, if they hate military so much, then they must HATE CNT, and to be more precious, they should hate all Bayi coaches and players - they should boycott these ARMY people.

Oh, also need to hate LSW and DN, as they took photos with a big smile with these killers and "war lovers".

I just think, these people will also be the first to complain when army is too slow to save them.

I think it's not that people hate the army.
it's a structure of modern society, there's no point in hating it or in loving it.

it's just that it has been and will continue to be associated with the darkest passages of human history.

so really there's no need to take a tt professional player and relate it to that.
tt players are like rock stars or movie stars, like a utopia, they live in a surreal world and so many people look up to them.
so they should use their image in good ways.
for example promoting peace, helping the poor, and so on.

I think in the NBA they sort of do this.
like the players go to hospitals and read a book to a sick kid for example.
but well then they show you an advertisement to join the Navy Seals so there's as much bad as there is good I guess :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Well, someone (in another forum) is saying that CNT is promoting war, killing. I sure believe they don't see it as a structure in modern society.

I think this is where the problem is all along.
This is not a promoting military excercise.

Regarding helping the poor, CNT in the week prior to this traning camp, went around the country to schools and orphan homes and did "helping the poor" and so on. I think there is no other countries TT stars that are donig these "charity work" to a tenth of what CNT is doing. Maybe we should complain about Euro players doing nothing and so on? (just for comparison purposes)

The sooner people can realise there is no promoting work, but a simple training - which has been going on for years already, the better. Check the players feedback from the previous years camps - this is nothing new and complete general knowledge nowadays.
If everyone want to find the little bit and bring it out out context, then you can say, why did they make a army official the head coach of CNT.
Or why is CNT so inhumane, or why this and why that. Surely there is something more debatable about CNT than this training camp.

I think I am happy this 8 day camp is finish, and just give it a few more days, and people is going to forget about it and table tennis forums will be back to normal. I will just laugh when the "haters" start posting about WH, FZD, LGL etc, as they are Bayi players (Army). If you are against them, they job/uniform etc, then don't support them. So lets wait and see

ok but can you give me a valid reason why they need to go to a military place and use military clothes to do this training?
why can't they do it somewhere else dressed in pink pijamas?
seems like they are sending a subliminal message which many people included you are ignoring.

then we wonder why so many people take a tt match as war.
it's the message they are sending from the top!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Okay, let me try and answer you.

1) This is not new and has been going on for years, when it first started, I was away from the sport, so I can't recall the press realese details, but it won't be far from this:
2) Wanting CNT members to train in "extreme conditions"
3) Increase Patroism, Discipline, Team work and hardship from another angle. (I think no other TT countries can match all 4 of these outside Asia)
4) Professional approach - not some clown clothing - this is a symbol of pride and patroism
5) To add to this, CNT is not the only people doing military traininig, but around 50 million students from the age of 13 to 19 did it in Aug this year

PS, I don't agree with everything that happens in China and these military camps (forced), but I agree that these 1 week programs does make kids stronger, and in fact I hope it happens in South Africa too, as the kids nowadays are too spoilt and extremely lazy. And in most cases, really clueless and requires to learn discipline, patroism etc. I see this as the same problem in many countries.
PS 2, I lived in many countries and studied in 4 countries, Ive been to over 16 countries, so I'm not single minded.

Quote from Wang Hao:
"Receiving military training is very important for athletes and this is more important for us, the Chinese Table Tennis Team. Through military education, we are able to further enhance our national defence. It also enhances our organisational skills and discipline. The patriotism that we learn from the training will be used for further training and to challenge our players to compete for the glory of China." Wang Hao said.

So you still believe they are sending some subliminal message?
Regarding TT match as war - well, I know many non Chinese players that take a TT match more serious then life and death. I don't think military got anything to do with that. I wonder what message they are sending to the Children watching the game.....
And with your view point, I can think of alot of contact sports that needs to be banned.

why can't they train in extreme conditions, train hardship, team work and discipline in orange or red clothes?
why does it have to be military clothes and military settings?
why don't they send them to some indian monastery where they will become much more tough and learn about peace, tolerance, respect as well?

as for patriotism, I think it is a horrible concept to teach anybody.
it makes me think that me and some dude in phillipines have something different, belong to a different place or have different interests.
when the truth is we are all brothers living in the same planet earth with the same needs and desires.

patriotism, countries, divisions is just stuff governments use to wash your brain.
and then once they have inserted that idea into your brain they tell you that you need to go to war with some people you don't even know because of reasons you don't even care about and probably would never support.

so after this you either come back in a plastic or with a bunch of plastic bags in your back (the people you killed).
thanks a lot government, your patriotism really helped me.

Last edited: