Advice on blade and rubber combo

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As for new gear... it is GREAT fun to dream of selecting and finalizing your equipment.

One FH rubber next to no one mentions on the forum for bargain class is Globe 999T on a custom sponge. Since you need it a little on the soft side, I would recommend Globe 999T ($7 USD) on an Air Lemon 38 degree sponge ($8 USD) for a cost of $15 USD for the custom combo that Cole will glue together for you.

What is great about the 999 topsheet is it is very resistent to humidity moisture buildup in humid conditions. It is also middle of the road for top speed, but it has excellent control and spin. This is a middle of the road rubber suitable for developing players. I have used such a combo on my BH (FH in emergency) for years, it is a genuine effective appropriate rubber for you... and it costs 1/3 the price of a lower priced modern rubber.

Everyone knows I am quick to recommend the 896, because it is inexpensive and it spins well.

If you go all-new at colestt.com then I would say email cole and ask him for a price quote on 896 with the 999 on 2.1 Air Lemon 38 and XP2008 2.2 that combo assembled with side tape and free bat case should run you around $40 USD with shipping give or take a few bucks.

$40 won't get you a modern rubber in most shops, let alone a complete assembled fully functional new bat time proven appropriate for your play class. Heck, when I am in between main bats, I play with a very similar bat and I am not beginner any more.

Such a bat will not be a rocket and no player your situation should buy a rocket launcher, but every man is hiz own man.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sure, Xiom Vega Pro is also square in the middle zone of what OP needs, but one sheet of it will top the cost what he could buy from Cole that could square him away with a complete assembled functional appropriate bat.

I say that a fellow competitive vendor in USA of TT equipment... or you could say I say it as a fellow HELPER of TT in USA like Cole has been for years and decade+...

The best my outfit could do for that allround setup is Nexy Spear ($60 USD) and a couple sheets of Elpis for $25 a sheet to make it $110 to buy from me such a setup. That is still a pretty low price for a complete setup, but what Cole can do for a player in that zone is an easy decision.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
DE,

I fully understand your situation and desire to improve, but know that until you get around players of a certain level and do effective training, you will improve only slowly with many dysfunctional stroke and play habits.

I was a recreational player for several years in a very similar situation to yours. I was in the military and everywhere I was at, the closest TT club was 2-4 hours drive away, simply too far to go more than once a moon. So like you, I had no coach, no way to know how I was bad, where I was bad, how to correct or anyone to hit and help me get some of that ironed out.

I did what I could by my self. I read Larry Hodges Steps to Success Table Tennis, I joined every major TT forum, I went to tourneys where I could. I practiced serves... but all that is gunna do is keep a player at the 1000-1600 USATT recreational player level.

All that changed when I got assigned to Korea and had a TT club 5 minute walk from where I lived.

Still, you have a chance to enjoy table tennis and still improve some, that counts for a lot. Some places you go, there is zero TT.

Yeah, I hear ya. I’m fortunate to work at a place where we can play during breaks and lunch, but we’re only as good as each other. One day I’ll make the commitment and join a quality club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
As for new gear... it is GREAT fun to dream of selecting and finalizing your equipment.

One FH rubber next to no one mentions on the forum for bargain class is Globe 999T on a custom sponge. Since you need it a little on the soft side, I would recommend Globe 999T ($7 USD) on an Air Lemon 38 degree sponge ($8 USD) for a cost of $15 USD for the custom combo that Cole will glue together for you.

What is great about the 999 topsheet is it is very resistent to humidity moisture buildup in humid conditions. It is also middle of the road for top speed, but it has excellent control and spin. This is a middle of the road rubber suitable for developing players. I have used such a combo on my BH (FH in emergency) for years, it is a genuine effective appropriate rubber for you... and it costs 1/3 the price of a lower priced modern rubber.

Everyone knows I am quick to recommend the 896, because it is inexpensive and it spins well.

If you go all-new at colestt.com then I would say email cole and ask him for a price quote on 896 with the 999 on 2.1 Air Lemon 38 and XP2008 2.2 that combo assembled with side tape and free bat case should run you around $40 USD with shipping give or take a few bucks.

$40 won't get you a modern rubber in most shops, let alone a complete assembled fully functional new bat time proven appropriate for your play class. Heck, when I am in between main bats, I play with a very similar bat and I am not beginner any more.

Such a bat will not be a rocket and no player your situation should buy a rocket launcher, but every man is hiz own man.

That sounds interesting. I may do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl