All Table Tennis brands and their different marketing strategy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews

What do you guys think of all the different table tennis brands and how they market themselves?

Personally I wish they did more marketing on television. But I guess it's very expensive. Although, maybe some of them do but just nationally. I'm not from China but I would not be surprised if brands like DHS is frequently on television over there.

I also think that Butterfly should organize a much better Facebook than today. Does they even have a main one or just small from some countries like Germany!?

Which brand do you think have the best websites and facebooks/instagrams?

Website is tough but I think STIGA has the absolute best and most updated facebook account.

What do you think brands should do to boost the interest for table tennis around the world?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 2 reviews
i think that table tennis must be more visable on televison, there is no other way. its good that there is internet transmissions but only the big tt fans will find them. you will not get the general public to see table tennis that way only by television. i know of course that its more easy to say than its done cause otherwise it already be reality. i think its a fantastic television sport. always when its olympics then table tennis get very high ratings among viewers.

for the facebook and websites i agree with you that stiga is the most fequent updated with many nice news but i also like butterflys website. donics website is also ok i think. im a tt nerd so i like to get info from the brands via facebook the most but some brands hardly exists i feel.

Reactions: Pavol2223
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Same as you guys think, more marketing on television! In my country, table tennis is quite big. But there are absolutely no commercials on table tennis.

I think Tibhar has quite a simple and nice website, easy to find everything there. Butterfly is very wierd. Almost impossible to find what I'm looking for and the search function is terrible.

Regarding to the facebook, STIGA hands down! I don't have instagram so I don't know which brand is best there. My guess would be Cornilleau for no reason what so ever. :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I disagree....comparing product quality to website and marketing. The worst award will go to Yinhe and Yasaka...

Commeon...you these guys makes awesome blades and rubbers...

Hats off to Rakza and Mark V series....but the marketing is very poor.

I don't think OP is comparing brand marketing vs product quality......

I agree with OP about Brand Marketing. Table Tennis brands is terrible in that.
The good marketers currently target Table Tennis players. Maybe that is they target audience, so nothing wrong with that business decision.
The other half has selective regional marketing activities and near nothing outside thouse regions.
There is no marketing to ordinary people (except certain regions like China).
But then again, why should a table tennis brand promote TT? That should be the job of local federations, national federations, international federations etc. Brands can only support them.

So this is why you get the ordinary people thinking Dunlop, Lion are table tennis brands

Some of the worse general marketings:
All Chinese Brands (especially out side China), but the price doesn't has marketing cost invovled, so okay.
Yasaka - price is the same as other tier 1 brands, but there is no marketing - imo they need to reduce pricing or increase marketing to stay on par
Xiom - the price is cheaper than other tier 1, product quality + packaging is surperb. Just need to sponsor some top players and get more communciation out there.

Some good social media marketing:
Butterfly
Stiga

Good website:
Xiom (but takes long to load)
Butterfly
TIbhar

Good Sponsorship marketing:
Butterfly
Stiga
DHS
Tibhar

PS - I didn't check all brands out there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews

The good marketers currently target Table Tennis players. Maybe that is they target audience, so nothing wrong with that business decision.
The other half has selective regional marketing activities and near nothing outside thouse regions.
But then again, why should a table tennis brand promote TT? That should be the job of local federations, national federations, international federations etc. Brands can only support them.

So this is why you get the ordinary people thinking Dunlop, Lion are table tennis brands

All Chinese Brands (especially out side China), but the price doesn't has marketing cost invovled, so okay.
Yasaka - price is the same as other tier 1 brands, but there is no marketing - imo they need to reduce pricing or increase marketing to stay on par
Xiom - the price is cheaper than other tier 1, product quality + packaging is surperb. Just need to sponsor some top players and get more communciation out there.

Butterfly
Stiga

Good website:
Butterfly
TIbhar

Butterfly
Stiga
DHS
Tibhar

You made some good points there! I have also noticed that Xioms website is really slow, thought it was my connection at first..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2014

Butterfly
Stiga

Good website:
Butterfly
TIbhar

Butterfly
Stiga
DHS
Tibhar

I'll agree with that

This user has no status.
Dont think table tennis marketing needs too much complex marketing concepts, since the market is pretty niche and most of the consumers that are actively trying to improve their equipment setups have pretty decent knowledge about the products.
As far as I know there aren't much big data involved with the marketing of equipments and i don't think, with the exception of a few companies, have utilized the advanced e-commerce/m-business of today's world. Butterfly and Stiga, as Tony stated, has done very well in their CRM compared to their competitors, which basically have no contacts of any sort with the general consumers (e.g. Nittaku, Yasaka so on and so forth). Social media in this age seem to be one of the dominant platform of sharing informations as well. But obviously it's confined to a fan page and not a banner, thus it still requires the consumer's active search for their pages.

That being said, I dont really see the need of putting these stuff on TV. As I said, from what i've seen thus far, the consumers generally have an acceptable level of knowledge of the products, thus it can be expected of them to know where to look for the stuff, instead of having the need to shove it in their faces on the TV. Look at all the other niche markets, E.g. HiFi systems, computer components, super cars etc, even though they are everyday stuff for a much wider range of demographics than Table tennis, you will never see a single TV advert for them. Simply put, these kind of niche products dont need marketing through a mass media.

CRM on a dedicated media platform is another story though. If you haven't got adblock on, you should see banners of STIGA and Andro advertisements on this very page now, or when you visit OOAK/AlexTT/TTDB. Obviously the users of these sites are direct demographics for these advertisements. This is like seeing an advert of a full page advert of a Jaguar F-Type in a top-gear magazine, or an ASUS ROG Mainboard banner or Tom's Hardware. Butterfly and some chinese companies like Sword, DHS etc are the only ones that are doing their adverts with paperbacks on Table Tennis Kingdom (Japanese) and Table Tennis World (Chinese).

Thus all these lead to one point. Do you really care about their marketing of this sort?

If I am to go to a shop right now, I would probably take a piece of the best rubber I know thats gonna work well for me without thinking (In this case right now, Tenergy). I personally wont go "Hmm, i just saw that Airoc banner on TTD Forum that seems really cool, maybe I should give it a shot for £40 without knowing how its gonna perform." or "Hey I just saw ZJK's setup with VIS, H3N and T64! I am gonna get those since the world champion cant be wrong!" and I am pretty sure most of the people here wont do it (Not sure for the latter one though :p).
IMHO the best marketing for sports equipment for a sport that is niche like Table tennis, would be spreading of words between peers and professional reviews, like what Dan does all the time. I dont give a shit about their webpages or social media sites as long as they list the price and the general values of the product.