Any tips for me?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Bobloiy's Improvement Thread

Hey guys! It's me again. I recently played in a league this Friday, and I recorded a game. Wow, am I pretty bad. Heh, I need to improve on everything. I've been playing for around 4 months now. Can you guys guess my rating and tell me specifics on what I need to improve on? Thanks.

I'm the kid in the green shirt.

Opponent around 1300~1400

For this game, the guy is around (but below) 2000, he went easy on me.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I could write many pages about what you did to lose the points you did, but I will keep it really simple and narrow my comments to your FH topspin attacking where you lost points and why. What you need to do is obvious.

By the way, is that a Korean Community Center or church facility? I might make it back down to NYC/NJ area and if I do, I'll post it on TTD and the forums and PM you. If I show up there, I might be speaking more Korean that the Ajoeshi crowd there. Heck, I am certified Ajoeshi. When do you guyz play there?

If you look at what you keep doing to make you lose points when you attack with FH, you will see what is responsible for the majority. It is something you can fix with awareness, time, and practice.

GAME 1

Right away, you missed on two serves. You were probably trying to go for too much spin for your timing or trying to keep it too tight for the spin you were trying to make. keep loose and you will see your serves improve

Wherever you see a time indicated, it is a missed shot unless I mention otherwise

:50 vs underspin ball too upright, no squat, no use of lower body

1:02 You see the ball too late and move way too late and barely weakly lob it back to get crushed

1:12 vs underspin ball too upright

1:22 vs kinda high underspin ball too upright, leaned back, maybe a bit close to ball, good step around move though, you were open stance

1:24 vs underspin ball, leaned back, no adjusting position, too upright, no use of lower body, did not bend knees to use legs to start shot, out of position, no lift to shot

1:37 vs popped up weak underspin ball, you hit the ball way too far in front of you. If you took a step to the ball, you would have been in good position with good weight transfer

1:40 vs underspin ball, you stepped around to make a slow topspin, but you failed to step around enough. Prolly the Ajoeshi crowd seated too close to the table had something to do with this and a possible way to cope with that is to use a BH opening loop or step around and go to the front close to the table and hit the ball earlier.

1:59 vs underspin ball poped up high to you at endline, you failed to see it in time and started moving way too late and got caught too close to the table and you had to try to lean back and hit the ball too deep in your zone -fail

2:16 swing & miss vs underspin, bad step to ball out of time

Game 2

:08 / :15 / :35 / :45 vs a blocked ball you hit too far in front of you and hit it out... see a pattern? Either step forward and HIT the ball or allow the ball to come deeper to you so it is in the middle of your effective hitting zone. Stand in your stance and make a fist with your left hand, then hold it out to your right side around a few cm lower than chest height. This is your effective hitting zone center.

:39 vs underspin ball, you do not use lower body to help power to lift ball on your slow topspin. bend knees, get bat and shoulder down, and explode up and fwd with leg, waist, then shoulder uncoil and lower arm snap and wrist. You are not using your whole body for power and control

1:11 vs incoming high/deep weak topspin you hit the ball way too far in front of you and it goes out. Either step fwd and HIT or wait just a little more before trying to finish that ball. Many amature players are all too eager to finish the point when the see that ball and do not wait for the ball to come into the zone and hit it too early. The solution is to see it earlier and move (you have to have knees bent in a good stance recovered after you hit to do this though) or simply just just a little more for the ball to be in zone, it isn't going anywhere until you smash it anyway.

2:27 vs block from your slow loop, ball is high and deep. You are in center of table. WHY? When you do a slow loop and intend to HIT the slow blocked ball that is likely to be high enough, WHY stand in the middle of the table? MOVE closer to your BH corner right after you hit your slow loop. You have time. Simply push off with your right foot and hop/pivot open towards the BH corner and you have landed and are ready before opponent even blocks the ball. Heck, you would have time for a FB post. What you did is watch your nice FH spinny slow loop, then acted too late. You didn't move out of the way (ball was blocked at you or your crossover) and you ended up being too close to the ball and hit it too deep in your zone leaning back like gummi bear under a bend test. Whne you hit a slow loop, get into positon open stance near your BH corner. Just make it a habit. So what if opponent blocks it to your FH corner, do a crossover step and crush his block right back at him and stamp his parcel "Return to Sender" :) If you are in a good stance balanced and ready, just believe that you can get to the ball and put a good lick on it. BELIEVE in yourself that you can do this from a good ready position.

2:35 vs underspin ball, you swung and missed. I also wish the sport waz like baseball where you get three swings before it is over. You moved and hit out of time. Finely grazing the ball requires everything to be just right and until you get the things right, you will sometimes miss like that. It helps to have a good balanced crouch knees bent to make your first step, that helps heaps.

No one fixes bad stance or footwork overnight if they have been doing it that way before, don't get discouraged if you even miss MORE points in matches trying to fix it. You are trying to do something you have not yet perfected under pressure in a random unknown situation, it will come many months later.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Kim Jung Hoon talks and focuses a lot on these things in the few vids I posted gists of what he was saying. His vids contain many valuable nuggets. the first few for you to fix are knees bent while opponent hits the ball, waiting for the ball to be in the effective hitting zone, and moving to the "proper" position open and ready to attack.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
I think the key thing this lot basically picked up on was your positioning and recovery from your shots. I also think you need to learn when to play a higher spinnier ball and low, fast topsin. In one clip I saw you play a high, spinny ball with good length to his backhand and he struggled with it. But when you played it to his forehand he killed it. You did a brilliant fast shot down the line in the first game but very often you didn't play these faster topsins.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Your opponent in video 1 serves long often.You only chop back,but the ball goes really high.Instead of chopping,attack those balls.

I think you really need to work on your backhand, it lacks of power and spin : you need to finish your stroke and go forward

My coach just started teaching me the BH loop, I'm not comfortable with attacking with it, but hopefully that will improve with practice.

I think the key thing this lot basically picked up on was your positioning and recovery from your shots. I also think you need to learn when to play a higher spinnier ball and low, fast topsin. In one clip I saw you play a high, spinny ball with good length to his backhand and he struggled with it. But when you played it to his forehand he killed it. You did a brilliant fast shot down the line in the first game but very often you didn't play these faster topsins.

We Koreans call that a "speed drive" and a spinner, slower loop a "loop drive." I'm more comfortable /confident with the spinnier loop because that's what the coach teaches first. I'm trying to get the faster loop down, but I can only do it with very spiny balls, or else my shots all go out of the table.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That No-Good BH-Man at MyTT is at it again.

You do not need to worry too much about making your BH into an awesome offensive weapon right now at this point. Pls continue to listen to your Korean coach. Just about EVERY Korean coach will tell you it is 10,000x more valuable to have a quick and consistent steady BH that you can place well and stay in the point or control it so you can break out the bet offense ever seen in the sport of TT- your nuclear weapon of a FH close to the table to finish the point of cause enough pressure on your opponent to cough up a finishing ball.

What ought to concern you is WHY you are missing your FH so much on both underspin balls and blocked balls.

What you ought to be doing is finding ways to identify those reasons and correct them.

Your service will get better as your coordination and touch improve. You will learn more tactics as you improve in level. your coach will not let you fail in this.

Coach will tell your priority is to get solid in stance, balance, anticipation, movement, and FH Drive (Hwa in Korean) FH Topspin (Drive in Korean) and BH punch or soft BH drive (Shot in Korean). You will naturally get the feel for a finishing or brutal pressure FH fast loopdrive / loop kill (Speed Drive in Korean) as more time and practice reps you get. Being solid in fundamentals will make that easier to setup and finish.

The three biggest things (better to keep the hit list real short right now) to work on right now are related to your FH topsin are...

1) Your balance and step to the ball.

You are making FH slow loops vs underspin by standing straight up at the position of attention like a General is about to enter the building and inspect you. You need to get down. Bend the knees and some of the waist, get that tail down. Dip your right shoulder down, explode up with legs uncoil waist, then rotate shoulders, arm snap and wrist snap at impact to make a really fast bat speed at impact swinging upwards vs underspin and some forward. Let the ball drop down some into your hitting zone. To make a fast drive (something between a Hwa and a Speed Drive), move more forward in position so that the ball will enter your hitting zone at height of bounce or close to that at least over the net. if you are too far behind the ball, let it come to you some more before you pull the trigger on a fwd swing with an open bat angle.

2) Your place of ball impact in your hitting zone

You are not impacting the ball in your effective strike zone on many of your misses. often, you are trying to hit it too early. In those cases, you have to wait a little more, even if ball falls below net, when you hit in your effective strike zone on time on balance with smooth easy acceleration, BELIEVE that that ball WILL land... and it will. It will amaze you. Sometimes you get too close to the ball and are force to bend back and hit it too deep in your zone. Just be in a better position. Sometimes, one or all of these things are inter-related. DO NOT be in a rush to hit the ball early when the ball is too far in front of you !!! This is a common error lower level players (even me sometimes) make. You hit the ball too far in front of you, you just lost all the power and control you started. You just sapped your power and control big time by hitting too far in front. WAIT for the ball to come to your strike zone or see it early (knees bent at opponent's impact) and get there first.

3) Your overall footwork

You need coach to make special drills where he multiball feeds you FH Hwa to your FH and you are parked a the table and have to do a quick one step to the ball, plant and hit real quick, not fast, but QUICK. Getting to the spot in time is vital. Kim Jung Hoon on a recent vid explained that having coach hit a few to your BH where you do a BH punch (Shot) for a few balls and then suddenly get a ball to your FH... There, you see it with your eye and already know what to do - a quick step of your right foot, plant and hit at same time with lower arm pivoting on hinge of elbow... and BANG! you made the point finished.

You need that drill and the two-step drill, the hop or skip with a slide to the ball on FH drill, the step around table hit a FH drill, The crossover step to cover wide FH after making a step-around FH drill, (Kim Jung Hoon just did a vid on footwork on we posted on TTD, watch it !! and talk to coach)

You get the idea. Look to see what is causing your misses and do the stuff to identify the cause and fix it with training and match experience and some salty words from your coach. If he isn't grumpy and tough demanding salty during training, he lost his Korean identity. He can still say good job though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
That No-Good BH-Man at MyTT is at it again.

You do not need to worry too much about making your BH into an awesome offensive weapon right now at this point. Pls continue to listen to your Korean coach. Just about EVERY Korean coach will tell you it is 10,000x more valuable to have a quick and consistent steady BH that you can place well and stay in the point or control it so you can break out the bet offense ever seen in the sport of TT- your nuclear weapon of a FH close to the table to finish the point of cause enough pressure on your opponent to cough up a finishing ball.

What ought to concern you is WHY you are missing your FH so much on both underspin balls and blocked balls.

What you ought to be doing is finding ways to identify those reasons and correct them.

Your service will get better as your coordination and touch improve. You will learn more tactics as you improve in level. your coach will not let you fail in this.

Coach will tell your priority is to get solid in stance, balance, anticipation, movement, and FH Drive (Hwa in Korean) FH Topspin (Drive in Korean) and BH punch or soft BH drive (Shot in Korean). You will naturally get the feel for a finishing or brutal pressure FH fast loopdrive / loop kill (Speed Drive in Korean) as more time and practice reps you get. Being solid in fundamentals will make that easier to setup and finish.

The three biggest things (better to keep the hit list real short right now) to work on right now are related to your FH topsin are...

1) Your balance and step to the ball.

You are making FH slow loops vs underspin by standing straight up at the position of attention like a General is about to enter the building and inspect you. You need to get down. Bend the knees and some of the waist, get that tail down. Dip your right shoulder down, explode up with legs uncoil waist, then rotate shoulders, arm snap and wrist snap at impact to make a really fast bat speed at impact swinging upwards vs underspin and some forward. Let the ball drop down some into your hitting zone. To make a fast drive (something between a Hwa and a Speed Drive), move more forward in position so that the ball will enter your hitting zone at height of bounce or close to that at least over the net. if you are too far behind the ball, let it come to you some more before you pull the trigger on a fwd swing with an open bat angle.

2) Your place of ball impact in your hitting zone

You are not impacting the ball in your effective strike zone on many of your misses. often, you are trying to hit it too early. In those cases, you have to wait a little more, even if ball falls below net, when you hit in your effective strike zone on time on balance with smooth easy acceleration, BELIEVE that that ball WILL land... and it will. It will amaze you. Sometimes you get too close to the ball and are force to bend back and hit it too deep in your zone. Just be in a better position. Sometimes, one or all of these things are inter-related. DO NOT be in a rush to hit the ball early when the ball is too far in front of you !!! This is a common error lower level players (even me sometimes) make. You hit the ball too far in front of you, you just lost all the power and control you started. You just sapped your power and control big time by hitting too far in front. WAIT for the ball to come to your strike zone or see it early (knees bent at opponent's impact) and get there first.

3) Your overall footwork

You need coach to make special drills where he multiball feeds you FH Hwa to your FH and you are parked a the table and have to do a quick one step to the ball, plant and hit real quick, not fast, but QUICK. Getting to the spot in time is vital. Kim Jung Hoon on a recent vid explained that having coach hit a few to your BH where you do a BH punch (Shot) for a few balls and then suddenly get a ball to your FH... There, you see it with your eye and already know what to do - a quick step of your right foot, plant and hit at same time with lower arm pivoting on hinge of elbow... and BANG! you made the point finished.

You need that drill and the two-step drill, the hop or skip with a slide to the ball on FH drill, the step around table hit a FH drill, The crossover step to cover wide FH after making a step-around FH drill, (Kim Jung Hoon just did a vid on footwork on we posted on TTD, watch it !! and talk to coach)

You get the idea. Look to see what is causing your misses and do the stuff to identify the cause and fix it with training and match experience and some salty words from your coach. If he isn't grumpy and tough demanding salty during training, he lost his Korean identity. He can still say good job though.

Haha, I guess he lost his Korean identity then. I'm going to try and improve on these points, and record myself at a tourney this Saturday. Let's see if I get any better.