Backhand Reverse Serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Life threats from Goon squad and concerns from my well wishers on the level of my insanity gave me the courage to escape the Pyschiatric ward and jump back to life with Sane Mind :D

So, I tried to record some of my backhand serves. Again, Some well wisher with laser scanning eyes could see these serves as Insane, but for regular eyes it is just adopting some ideas from Dima' serves. It is not about excellent or being imbecile in imitation, but to get the job done. I already have worked on the height and spin quality which could pretty much guessed from video. In end it is about effectiveness and this serves does the job all the time in critical situations.

I worked with my friend to help him to defend the serve and since I am not permitted to use the "Iteration" because of Goon Squad, I ll say in the last part of the video we finally got the serve returned, Thanks for watching, I appreciate it :)

P.S. I messed up the camera angle after the first one. sorry for that.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That's a backhand pendulum serve (the regular backhand pendulum serve produces reverse sidespin). The backhand reverse serve produces pendulum sidespin. It's a close relative of the backhand tomahawk serve and is one of my favorite serves - I use it a lot in my matches at key points.

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Backspin is kind of hard to deliver with the same motion.

Let's just say there are tricks which you can use. That said, most people who are not familiar with the basic serve misread it as backspin quite a few times. But you can serve backspin with it. It's all about the swing size and contact point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
I kinda understand to get the backspin with the topspin motion. But, in my serve the quality is compromised, so generally I have to adopt separate motion for the backspin.

in the KL video, when I took a glance, it felt like top spin, isn't it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I kinda understand to get the backspin with the topspin motion. But, in my serve the quality is compromised, so generally I have to adopt separate motion for the backspin.

in the KL video, when I took a glance, it felt like top spin, isn't it?

I think it was and Schlager seemed to be ready for it and treated it as such. But I have seen many of KLH's opponents do something entirely different and dumb with that serve. Those same opponents would probably not struggle with a pendulum serve. But when they saw that serve, they just couldn't read it properly.

The key is that you can have racket angles that get more beneath the ball and some that get more besides the ball - so I wouldn't say topspin as much as sidespin that kicks on the table though if you have a larger racket rotation than KLH and come forward and downwards, some people see the open finish but miss the fact that the contact was really on the side so they push with a more open racket than they should.

OK, I have given away trade secrets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think it was and Schlager seemed to be ready for it and treated it as such. But I have seen many of KLH's opponents do something entirely different and dumb with that serve. Those same opponents would probably not struggle with a pendulum serve. But when they saw that serve, they just couldn't read it properly.

The key is that you can have racket angles that get more beneath the ball and some that get more besides the ball - so I wouldn't say topspin as much as sidespin that kicks on the table though if you have a larger racket rotation than KLH and come forward and downwards, some people see the open finish but miss the fact that the contact was really on the side so they push with a more open racket than they should.

LoL, But true. In these days, it is difficult to keep protect patents from infringement. There is always a way to get around them :D