Best and worst rule changes in the last 20 years?

Okay that's covered it. Now let's talk about the future rules.

Rubbers, Same model of rubber on both sides of the bat. They may differ in thickness by say, 0.2mm but that's it.
The benefit is to cut down on errors due to rubber switch/change.
This way we can allow frictionless or whatever but the player must have it on both sides of the bat.

Modify all rules and regulations to reflect the principles of 'Plain English'.

Serve rule: the ball is to be struck behind the table but in front of the player's body, or words to that effect.

don't agree with the first idea as this would mean that a whole lot of people would not be able to play the setup they like (everyone on the men's cnt would then have to change rubbers ... so would your amateur ej'er that prefers a different type of rubber fh and backhand based on style (modern defender, short pips attacker, jpen and traditional cpen ... all gone))

says Aging is a killer
Sorry but you are confirming what I thought. Too many free points from having different rubbers on the bat. I disagree that there wouldn't be any defensive players.
So what if CNT players would have to change rubbers. Do you really think that it would make a difference to their results?
All LP players use it because initially at least, they got free points off the LP and because their BH were not up to chopping with inverted. Even at international level, I see players making misjudgements from the inverted/LP switch. Before LP became popular, there were many players chopping with their MarkV or whatever. It's a skill that has been lost largely because of the introduction of LP and the free points that it generates.

But I do see that players would prefer to keep things as they are so let it be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Okay that's covered it. Now let's talk about the future rules.
[z/QUOTE]
I also think that your idea bout rubbers is not gonna bring any benefits to the game. But if you see it different, it would be nice, if you could show them to us.
But i've read an interesting article about the effects of the change from 38mm to 40mm. To sum it up, the author wrote that the effect was rather small. But what could bring a real change is to make the net a little higher.
The way the author described it, it really made sense there. What do you think about this?

Last edited:
Sorry but you are confirming what I thought. Too many free points from having different rubbers on the bat. I disagree that there wouldn't be any defensive players.
So what if CNT players would have to change rubbers. Do you really think that it would make a difference to their results?
All LP players use it because initially at least, they got free points off the LP and because their BH were not up to chopping with inverted. Even at international level, I see players making misjudgements from the inverted/LP switch. Before LP became popular, there were many players chopping with their MarkV or whatever. It's a skill that has been lost largely because of the introduction of LP and the free points that it generates.

But I do see that players would prefer to keep things as they are so let it be.

why do you think such a limitation would be a good thing for the game?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tiny, over 1/2 the Korean ladies play with OX LP on BH and an OFF control rubber in MAX on FH.

If the rule you propose goes into effect AND they all find out YOU were the one pushing it...

You are gunna have a REAL mob of 8000 Korean ladies (many of them are 2nd or 3rd degree black belts) after you something fierce.

They won't be so easily tricker or thrown off the trail like the Big Company Goon squads.

You piss off a group of Korean women and it is Game Over.

Just sayin'.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Personally, I am REAL GLAD we have even today (despite the effort to make more players OFF maniacs) a large diversity of types and personal playing styles.

When I get to face a different player with a different surface or way to use it, I grow and I like that.

I suspect Tiny is a vet who appreciates some old school allround play, it puzzles me why he would want to move towards standardization. I agree with his point that many players used MANY more allround strokes with the same OFF equipment attackers used and it is a dying art, excellent point he made.

Reactions: htfu
This user has no status.
What about talking about the materials changing? what do you think which material would be used in the future? i mean for composite blades as the carbon is the one to be used, is there another material than the carbon [all types used now such as Zylan, Arylate, fiber,...etc] that can be used with wood for different performance?

Also the rubbers, we know there are different type of rubbers, but is it difficult to find something similar to rubber but have another characteristics? so we don't have to search too many rubbers for specific things [spin, speed,...etc].

Now with the ball? actually i don't care about the size, it is again about the material, so if they didn't change to plastic and they increased the size, will this be another problem? what about if they change again back to 40mm but with plastic, will this be a big deal? also what other materials you can think to make balls from beside the celluloid and plastic?

Another rule i would like to see that i know it is impossible to happen, but i hope i can happen is: a male to face a female in singles, they have mixed doubles, why not mixed single to see how far women can beat men, at least in some small tours if not in big events, i think this alone will bring people as women would like to have something against men, and when some women reach finals, more men and women would like to watch who is better, and different style playing as women are mostly playing close to the table and many defensive women there than men from what i see.

I liked the idea when a chinese player with non chinese player for men doubles, don't know if this is just occasional things, but it will be very welcomed if happened more often in many events mostly big too except the Olympics.

Why can't make a glue that can be a speed glue but free of VOC, so only VOC can make speed for a glue? i am going to order one speed glue only because many here mentioned the ban of it as worse/worst, so it means that speed glue was a very interesting thing, and because in my club i don't play for rules or under rules then it doesn't matter if i use speed glue, in fact i hear many using booster, so why not using speed glue if there is no checking or testing rackets? and how can i apply this speed glue without making troubles if this will alarm the ITTF? I hope chemists can bring a glue that do same effect or job as speed glue without the issue of this VOC speed glue that is banned.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I see guys at a decently high level, like 2600-2700, chop with rubbers like Tenergy, but I also see them as good enough at offense to never need to chop.

As far as things like pips and people having a tricky rubber that makes things harder to read and makes it easier to chop or something like that: I love playing a player who is good with a setup like that because it makes me have to focus better and pay attention to which side of the racket the player has used. This adds a whole extra element to play that is worth having.

A player who isn't good at playing against a setup like that just needs more practice against it. And it is obvious that in the pro ranks, when someone has a setup like that, it does not bother any of the pros.

In fact, I believe, when they banned "frictionless" pips, I believe most of the top pros thought that was a mistake.

My guess is, most of the top pros, including guys who use the same rubber on both sides, would think this was a decidedly bad idea for the sport.

The free points from misreading the pips is something that happens at lower levels. At higher levels, the guy with pips has to have better and better technique to stay level with the offensive players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So I am not sure what would be positive about making everyone use the same model of rubber on their FH and BH.

why do you think such a limitation would be a good thing for the game?

So, the question has been asked.

What do you think the benefit would be of having everyone forced to use the same rubber on both sides?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No, never or not yet, but what do you mean?

Sorry Tareq, I was joking.

There was a time when people would inhale the VOCs from certain glues to get high. Problem is it causes damage to brain cells. Which was the public reason why speed glue was banned. Brain Damage.

But if that is why they banned speed glue, why did they ban boosters that do not have harmful chemicals?

This user has no status.
Sorry Tareq, I was joking.

There was a time when people would inhale the VOCs from certain glues to get high. Problem is it causes damage to brain cells. Which was the public reason why speed glue was banned. Brain Damage.

But if that is why they banned speed glue, why did they ban boosters that do not have harmful chemicals?

The question is, is that VOC a chemical transfer by smelling or by touching? i mean if it is about to smell it to make that harm then what if wearing some kind of mask or nose protective so we don't smell it? and put that racket in open air so that VOC can evaporate from what i hear or read of that glue? I started to deal with chemicals once i started to shoot film and develop back 3-4 years ago, some chemicals are very strong smell or odor, and sure some could be hazardous or harmful, but i sometimes try not to smell or put a cloth on my nose or i will buy something to protect me from the smell.

And also my question is still eligible, why can't make speed glue that is VOC-free?

says Aging is a killer
ITTF does not want anything that speeds up rallies. Their aim is to slow the pace and reduce the spin element of the game. Thus they ban rubber 'enhancements' and introduce a bigger ball.
To their way of thinking, this will cause longer rallies which leads to more spectators and bigger TV audiences. Bigger TV audiences mean bigger sponsorship. Bigger sponsorship means more money for the ITTF.
Just follow the money.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The question is, is that VOC a chemical transfer by smelling or by touching? i mean if it is about to smell it to make that harm then what if wearing some kind of mask or nose protective so we don't smell it? and put that racket in open air so that VOC can evaporate from what i hear or read of that glue? I started to deal with chemicals once i started to shoot film and develop back 3-4 years ago, some chemicals are very strong smell or odor, and sure some could be hazardous or harmful, but i sometimes try not to smell or put a cloth on my nose or i will buy something to protect me from the smell.

And also my question is still eligible, why can't make speed glue that is VOC-free?

Once the VOCs evaporate the speed glue effect is gone which is why, in the speed glue days, people would take their rubbers off and reglue every time they played.

But that has nothing to do with why I think some you you guys are sniffing glue! [emoji2]