Blade for Xiom Vega Pro

This user has no status.
It's a no brainer that your joola will feel more solid and faster. 7-ply in general will have less vibration compared to 5-ply. Faster as well. Then there's the weight that you take into consideration. 90g blade will be faster than the 85g version of the same blade.

if you've been using 7-ply for 2 years, 5 ply will feel pretty slow for you in general especially if you occupy the same general blade speed (ALL to ALL+)
I can see some logic in that although I've seen many 5 ply blades that are rated much faster than my 7 ply blade. There must be many other things that cause variations as well as weight and ply such as stiffness of the blade, hardness of the blade, type and quality of wood used, etc.

As an aside, I recently found 3 blades which I used to use when I was young or relatively young! Neither has been used for at least 23 years! Does anybody know if these blades were decent in their day?
They are all Butterfly blades. The first is GERGELY ST and is in great nick. The other 2 are identical and have merely Butterfly written half way up the black handle in red and some sort of stamp in white on the other side of the black handle which is fading a bit so I can't read what is written other than is says Buttefly across the middle of the stamp.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I can see some logic in that although I've seen many 5 ply blades that are rated much faster than my 7 ply blade. There must be many other things that cause variations as well as weight and ply such as stiffness of the blade, hardness of the blade, type and quality of wood used, etc.

As an aside, I recently found 3 blades which I used to use when I was young or relatively young! Neither has been used for at least 23 years! Does anybody know if these blades were decent in their day?
They are all Butterfly blades. The first is GERGELY ST and is in great nick. The other 2 are identical and have merely Butterfly written half way up the black handle in red and some sort of stamp in white on the other side of the black handle which is fading a bit so I can't read what is written other than is says Buttefly across the middle of the stamp.

If you like blades that aren't too fast but feel crisp and have good feeling, just grab nittaku acoustic. Yes, I know it's stupid expensive as an all-wood blade but to this day I kinda hate the fact that it's not a notch faster because I just love how it plays

Reactions: russell