Xiom Vega Pro and Vega Europe - Still a good combination?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hi together,

regarding the current summer break I plan to try out some new rubbers for the new season.

I am a an experienced player (GER Rating around 1600+, I guess US rating 1900+), plying offensive play on both sides.
Forehand is my stronger side, mostly plying attacking balls like topspin, flicks, smashes and counter Topspins.
Backhand weaker side, more active Allround play. Soft Topspins on backspin, blocking, pushing - here i play more versatile, depending on the opponent if more active or passive.

Blade is a normal Allround+ 5-ply (Donic Persson Powerallround or Stiga Allround Evolution).

Is the combination of Xiom Vega Pro (forehand) and Vega Europe (backhand) still a good combination of rubbers in 2023 for my level and plying style?
The prices of these rubbers are fantastic and there are also very good reviews out there.
Sadly I never was able to play these rubbers on my own.
So maybe I‘d like to try them out in the next calm weeks.

As I mentioned, I am a more controlled orientated, offensive player. I like to attack a lot, especially on forehand side, but I don’t like material that is hard to control, especially in passive situations like returning, blocking and pushing.

Thanks

says [IMG]
If you play controlled offensive, both rubbers are a safe bet.

Used on an ALL+ blade, you won't have a speed-monster and it may lack in speed away from the table. You also won't have the massive (potential!) spin of Tenergy, Dignics or MX-.. , but you will be able to keep the ball on the table while attacking. (which in my personal opinion is much more important)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hey, thank you both for your opinions.
This sounds really good, especially the "control" aspect mentioned.

As I said, backhand is my weaker side, even with USATT around 1900 ;-) I think something with a 47.5 sponge is too hard for my weaker backhand.

Any further opinions and recommendations ?

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I use Vega X on both sides. I play offensive style. I really appreciate the quality of the rubber and I find it very good for my game. I might be around 1800-1900 USATT however, I haven't played tournaments since COVID started so I cannot be sure.

This user has no status.
I have strong backhand but wrong style, the best three rubbers that fit my BH so far are the following:

1. Butterfly Tenergy 05FX
2. Xiom Vega Europe
3. Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft

I want to try more rubbers in same level of the above if any knows better, i prefer softer rubbers to backhand for control, and with power or strength i can finish, if i have good returning serves then i will go from soft to medium or little hard, i tried DHS H3 NEO 37 or 38 on ML5x blade, if i am lucky i can shine with it but it is sensitive to spins, i win more with a blade using something like Nittaku Fastarc G-1 on FH and Vega Europe on BH than a blade with H3 NEO Prov blue sponge or MXP max on FH and T05 or Big Dipper on BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Joola Rhyzm-p is known for control, But it has better spin then Vega europe. i.m.o. Speed is very similar. It is a off- rubber. Great for blocking and first openup.

If you want to hit harder but want a soft rubber, Stiga Calibra LT sound is better.
The arc is amazing on wood blades and the spin on high end shots is greater.

I think you can play most rubbers on backhand, It seems like 42 degree is around what you like. These 2 just don't bottom out as quickly as some other rubbers.

Hopefully this helps! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I am not at your level (USATT 1500). I have loved Vega Europe for years, but now I recently switched because the sacrifice to my spin on serve (and in general) is too great when there are more modern rubbers with the same subdued (but still present) OFF- pace, nearly equal (but not quite the same TBH) control, and superior spin and penetration. I put PK50 and 09C on my IF ALC and IF ZLC, and I love them both equally for FH and BH (very, very similar rubbers to my intermediate eye).

I know Tenergy would give me more catapult, which would be nice with my relatively (to my FH) weak BH. However, those two rubbers feel like the ideal balance of spin, control, and adequate pace. PK50 and 09C are more spin sensitive than VE to me but otherwise offer ideal control.

In sum, VE has inadequate penetration at distance and spin, but had outstanding control and feel. T05 is too fast and hard to control at my level, while offering amazing spin. PK50 and 09C are just right. The slight sacrifice in control and perhaps feel (it could just be that I'm just used to VE after multiple years) is worth that gains in spin and penetration.

Given that you are much higher level than me, I'd be shocked if you couldn't manage to maintain control on PK50/09c. Would love to get your impressios

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
To add to the thread since I have played with the Xiom Vega series more.

I have read and I agree that Xiom Vega Pro is a good Tenergy 05 alternative. Not as powerful but very good rubber. It does produce that clicky sound tat Tenergy produces.

I do enjoy Xiom Vega Europe and I have a couple sheets where I use it to tame very fast blades.

Recently I started using Xiom Vega Asia and find it a bit more powerful than Xiom Vega Europe. The sponge is supposed the same hardness as Xiom Vega Pro but the top sheet is softer. Someone described Vega Asia as a good Tenergy 64 alternative.

As of now, I am using Rakza 7 soft v.s. C-1 and Xiom Vega Asia on my backhand side and they all seem pretty good. And I can switch between them from practice session to session. I am a bit undecided right now. All three are put on the backhand of the same model of carbon blades.

I think Rakza 7 soft has the most catapult effects out of the three.

Long story short, you can use Vega Pro on your forehand. I think backhand you can use Vega Asia. That is a very affordable set-up. If you want to spend a tad more and has more catapult effect on your backhand side you can get Rakza 7 soft max sponge.

Reactions: vadym_nastoiashchyi
This user has no status.
To add to the thread since I have played with the Xiom Vega series more.

I have read and I agree that Xiom Vega Pro is a good Tenergy 05 alternative. Not as powerful but very good rubber. It does produce that clicky sound tat Tenergy produces.

I do enjoy Xiom Vega Europe and I have a couple sheets where I use it to tame very fast blades.

Recently I started using Xiom Vega Asia and find it a bit more powerful than Xiom Vega Europe. The sponge is supposed the same hardness as Xiom Vega Pro but the top sheet is softer. Someone described Vega Asia as a good Tenergy 64 alternative.

As of now, I am using Rakza 7 soft v.s. C-1 and Xiom Vega Asia on my backhand side and they all seem pretty good. And I can switch between them from practice session to session. I am a bit undecided right now. All three are put on the backhand of the same model of carbon blades.

I think Rakza 7 soft has the most catapult effects out of the three.

Long story short, you can use Vega Pro on your forehand. I think backhand you can use Vega Asia. That is a very affordable set-up. If you want to spend a tad more and has more catapult effect on your backhand side you can get Rakza 7 soft max sponge.
What do you think of the Vega Pro 2.0 for BH side and Vega Pro max for FH on allround blade? Will it be a good one?

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
What do you think of the Vega Pro 2.0 for BH side and Vega Pro max for FH on allround blade? Will it be a good one?
Yes some people do use Vega Pro on both side.

However I see that you use Vega Pro FH and Vega Europe BH. Why not start off with Vega Pro max FH and Vega Asia max BH? I can see how that will work for you.

I EJ a lot but I know what I am doing. I have six copies of the same blade. Always hurricane on the FH and using various ESN rubbers on the backhand. Have I been tempted and tried Rasanter 47 or Xiom Vega Pro or something harder on the BH? Yes, but I ended up just stripping the rubbers off and going back to Rakza 7 soft, C-1 and Vega Asia 2.0mm sponge. What I am trying to say is, in order to make your experience enjoyable, change your equipment slightly one at a time. Trust me. It is better for your wallet and better for your enjoyment.

If you train every day for three hours, five days a week, then at best three months later, you are ready for a new sheet anyway. Then change it if you would like then. No rush.

So if you are using Vega Europe on the BH, I think it is quite reasonable to upgrade to Vega Asia first. And go from there.

By the way, I have two sheets of Vega Japan that I have not installed. I am kind of busy trying different set-up's so those two sheets are not open and are being neglected. I will get to those sheets later eventually.