Blocking: Soft or hard sponge better?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Two types of blocks and varying levels of spin make this question not have a single answer.
A harder rubber blocks heavier topspin balls better compared to a soft rubber.
A softer rubber blocks softer topspin balls with more pace compared to hard rubber.
this question relates back to my observation earlier btw Aruna vs FZD. Aruna who uses Gewo 53 degree hardness on his BH ( same as his FH ) was blocking many balls out of play.

Would a softer rubber benefit him more or otherwise? Granted FZD is a hard hitter himself and is not a pussy himself.

This user has no status.
I dont really think its to do eith the hardness of the sponge that much, just to do with its catapult effect. The less it has, the better.

However, in my experience blocking with a tacky/semi-tacky rubber ( eg. Dignics 09c) provides more control amd neutralizes spin a bit more. This could be subjective though, different people feel different things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I dont really think its to do eith the hardness of the sponge that much, just to do with its catapult effect. The less it has, the better.
It is easier to control. The new frictionless anti rubbers usually have hard top sheet to reduce friction but relatively dead sponges. It doesn't really matter if the sponge is hard or soft it just needs to be dead.

However, in my experience blocking with a tacky/semi-tacky rubber ( eg. Dignics 09c) provides more control amd neutralizes spin a bit more. This could be subjective though, different people feel different things.
Overall, I think it is more of a preference and how you use the rubber. I don't like fast rubbers on my BH. Playing with LP 0X is sometimes a pain because it is hard to block back fast spinny loops when there is no sponge to absorb energy. I like to block short and at angles. I try to use a soft grip to absorb energy.

Reactions: PaddyPolar