"Boring" AGM/BoD when it comes to rule changes?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The propositions for rule changes on the AGM/BoD are out. No change of net hight, no change in rubber thickness, not even a proposition for a tournament for the presidents in the national associations :). (There has been before!)

For the most it is changes in wording.

There is a proposition to remove the 85% wood-rule for the racket, or at least look into it.
There is a proposition to remove the "free hand must be removed immedeately", rationale: It is enough with the hidden ball rule.

Otherwise:
Athletes commision is satisfied with the new DHS ball and in improvement in the world tour.
Equipment com is not satisfied with the nets, have discovered that friction between table/ball is very inconsistant on tables of the same brand, between different brands and when using different balls.
Changes in the T4 suggests that we are not on the way to allowing boosters/tuners. On the other hand we will not allow rubber companies to also put boosters on the market.
China is looking to make it easier to put together mix-nations mix doubles in the world championships.
Mix doubles on the way in to the olympic programme.
Today more or less all para players are on the IL-list (WADA international level-list), having to follow the 'whereabouts rule'. Proposition to just include the top 8 in each class.
If you are involved in the tt-industry, you are not eligible for the EC or similar. This also applies for players with an equipment deal, like the leader of the Athletes com. Proposal to change the rule.

http://dd7978b90kfgn.cloudfront.net/2017/03/2017_AGM_BoD_book.pdf

Reactions: Baal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Where is this AGM? What sourse do you have Mytoman? ITTF meeting?

Brands won't be allowed to sell boost? Stock up now ppl!!! :D

See the link in my original post. AGM/BoD is held during the World championships.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
That is also the meeting where delegates (2 each from 222 countries!) elect the new ITTF president. Dont get your hopes up. The fix is in.

In Weikert's Report to the AGM he wrote almost at the very top of the document, this: "Our mission must be that small and economically weaker regions receive our support via the Development Programme; the aim being that in such countries table tennis has a secure structure, a basis for growth. It is not only equipment that may be needed, equally education and training is vital".

Translating from Sports Federationese into English it reads as follows: "Those of you who are in the approximately 170 of the 222 member countries should feel comfortable voting for me, as I will continue the Sharara practice of showering resources on places like Kiribati and Palau in return for you vote."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I know this is an old post but since you seem to be on top of these issues, I was wondering where people can find the AGM 2024 proposals .

I heard a rumor that they are going to reduce the rubber thickness from 4.0 mm to 3.5 mm due to booster issues & also to slow down the sport to reduce third ball attacks for longer rallies for spectators.
I also heard about some talk about repealing frictionless pips ban because I know Sweden submitted for this once when Fabian Akerstrom was a top Swedidh player. I do not know if some other associatin proposed this now

But since iI cannot find the proposals for AGM 2024 on ITTF site anywhere, I do not know if these rumor are true.
during AGM minutes, you can see all the proposal and the result of the votes
there is a section on ITTF website for all this

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Two items
1. I believe sel99 asked if ITTF should keep the proposala a secret until the day of the AGM
2. sel99 asked if ITTF at least informs the MA (Member Association)s & Executive Council members a month or two before the AGM so MA's have enough time to study the proposals ? Or do you think couple of hours (actually it seems like minutes to me) on the day of the AGM is good enough for MA's & Executive council members to make the correct vote ? That is why I highlighted the part of your reply "during AGM minutes"

IMO ITTF must be transparent & all proposals (& nominations) must be avaialble to the public at least a month or two before the AGM.
What do you have against individual person or persons contacting their MA's & Executive Council members with their inputs so that MA's & Executive counicl members can discuss this among each other to make better decisions about each proposal ?
just like any AGM (i'm sure you must have attended some before)
items need to be tabled for discussion, and there is a deadline for that
Then the AGM notice and agenda (with the tabled items) will be provided to all the MA before the meeting.

so anyone who have attended any AGM will know how it is run and will know the answer of sel99's question

Lol, maybe they can start banning or at least regulating serving next to/upside the table. When I see Lim Jong Hoon (and there are a few more like that) pretty much standing with their body next to the table and as a result, in 90% of them serve their services above/over the table and take advantage of this by making the playing surface smaller.
Now, prohibiting the above in a regulation also means that it must be followed up by a refereeing committee and that is perhaps where the problem lies, as the current generation of referees are apparently afraid to comment on such irregular services.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Lol, maybe they can start banning or at least regulating serving next to/upside the table. When I see Lim Jong Hoon (and there are a few more like that) pretty much standing with their body next to the table and as a result, in 90% of them serve their services above/over the table and take advantage of this by making the playing surface smaller.
Now, prohibiting the above in a regulation also means that it must be followed up by a refereeing committee and that is perhaps where the problem lies, as the current generation of referees are apparently afraid to comment on such irregular services.
you can set all the rules you want
but if the umpires aren't getting eye test done or having help to get the job done correctly
to me, it is all pointless

looks pretty on paper, but zero execution ability

Reactions: Metaxa
you can set all the rules you want
but if the umpires aren't getting eye test done or having help to get the job done correctly
to me, it is all pointless

looks pretty on paper, but zero execution ability
Yes indeed, which is why my last sentence.
A lot is allowed these days. Even throwing 20m with your wood is only penalised with a yellow cardboard.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
I heard a rumor that they are going to reduce the rubber thickness from 4.0 mm to 3.5 mm due to booster issues & also to slow down the sport to reduce third ball attacks for longer rallies for spectators.
I hope, that nothin similar will happen. Reducing thickness will result in poorer playability.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am well aware of the proposal submission deadline. October 26, 2023 for AGM 2024.

I am not "asking" about how things are currently done.

Rather I am raising some questions about the method of processing the proposals & transparency

When will the list of proposals be made available (you call tabled items) ?
Are they available to public or only the MAs & the Executive council ?

Firstly, ITTF Executive meeting or AGM serves MA and the people nominated to serve on the MA to engage with ITTF.
It is not a "for public" sighting as I think you are asking.

There are things for public and there are things for closed doors, especially when things are still in draft mode
This is common with any public or private enterprise.
If you or anyone will complain about this, you can then complain pretty much about every organisation on earth.

FYI the General council of 224 or so MAs votes on rule change proposals (Requires two thirds to pass).
The executive council votes of regulation change proposals. (Requires only 51% to pass)

For example
The rubber thickness reduction would be a rule chnage
The repeal of frictionless pips ban would be a regulation change
I don't see you asking a question here.

But as I have explained to people who don't understand how things work - if you are not happy about ITTF, you should take things up with your MA. MA should be the one serving the members of each MA.

and if you can't sort out your MA, then you need to do something about it so that the MA will listen (ie vote yourself in, or vote someone in who share the same views as you).

This is how democracy works and there are too few people voicing out (or voting) to make changes and normally you just see people complaining about things for decades on the wrong platforms (think someone who keep talking about friction-less long pips on this forum - as he thinks that MA decision makers are on TTD lol)

Last edited:
Not sure what you are responding to.
Your post appears after my post that talks about something completely different.
I wish people would quote the post they are referring to & responding to.
Doesn't matter. Was also not specifically in response to you but in general.
It was about proposals and/or adjustments to regulations (nets, balls, rubbers, playing surface, etc....
I already described my proposal above, for the moment countless illegal services are given in my opinion every week (it is forbidden to serve above the playing surface) but just like Tony's Table Tennis wrote, what does it matter to propose changes, after eventual approval then adjust with new regulations, if the referees remain/are blind to these changes anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Maybe they should change rule to say the entire body of server including the hands must be behind the end line thruout the service.
They should change the rule to say that the ball must be in front of the entire body of server (and of course behind the line) throughout the service. It would make it possible to actually enforce the rule in matches with less than two referees (pretty much all matches...). A rule that actually works.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Sorry my fault. I was very wrong & you are absolutely right.
ITTF should keep the proposals (& nominations) secret till the day of the AGM

Have a nice day
I guess reading skills and comprehension is different there by you.
How is it keeping it a secret when it is made available to all the MA prior to AGM lol
glad you have acknowledge your mistake

have a nice day