BREAKING: Ma Long & Fan Zhendong boycott CHINA OPEN!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Is Shang Kun a world champion or even an asian champion? What is his highest WR? Did he go to WTTC with CNT as a practice partner? I like his play style and don't want him to retire although he had that plan. But he is not a person in CNT whose words count and it does not matter if he chose a side or kept silent. It is just interesting to see what side the players in the same coach group or provincial team chose.

BTW, the core players and important practice partners all went to WTTC.
cache.php

Rain please what's wrong with u ??? Shang kun is not a local player . Love it or not he is one of cnt 's great player that has won top 4 at least one time in his career . Yan an is world champion or what ?? Does zhou yu's statuse about LGL will solve anything ?? Is he that important ????? Or other players like liu yi ????!!!!!!or fang yinchi ??? Lol . I mean these are your and ofcourse my odds . No certain news have come out yet .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Rain please what's wrong with u ??? Shang kun is not a local player . Love it or not he is one of cnt 's great player that has won top 4 at least one time in his career . Yan an is world champion or what ?? Does zhou yu's statuse about LGL will solve anything ?? Is he that important ????? Or other players like liu yi ????!!!!!!or fang yinchi ??? Lol . I mean these are your and ofcourse my odds . No certain news have come out yet .

rainenever thinks he is actually objective and knows stuff better than all the other "crazy fans"

Im guessing he is too young to even know his own nation's history, but hey who am I to judge and express an opinion, im not even a world champ!

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
All 3 players' protest posts were deleted/censored by Sina Weibo, with pressure and order from authority. Even celebrities' relevant supportive posts and media's posts were filtered. This morning, it all seems calm down now. Typical way how a protest starts and ends, in China. There are still people popping up on Weibo criticizing the arrogance and disrespect shown in the way how sports bureau reacted to athletes' legitimate opposition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I like your disclaimer lol. I am a Chinese who also frequent the Chinese forums and Weibo and sorry about my English. Battles between fans of players (and between fans of players and coaches, for some odd reasons) usually happen in social communication websites. A lot of incorrect gossips result from such battles, so don't take gossips too seriously without evidence, especially coming from extreme fans, or "fans".

Also, ZJK has his own studio, starting from last year, while the rest of the team doesn't. Basically, it means it's experts in media v.s. experts in athletics in social communication websites. Guess the results? Not always gossips, sometimes they are misleading the crowd on purpose. And many fans don't need evidence, they just want to believe what's good for them and "make it real".

Even if you step back, they take down KLH for a reason, but why LGL? Because of gossips may be real? That is really bad because anyone can be take down because of "saving face" in the eyes of some guys : ).

Absolutely, tons of rumors flying, always a lot of mudslinging between the fans of the top players. I used to dismiss them immediately because it just seemed like a bunch of angry haters trashing everyone they could, but in the past months there have been several accounts in which the naysayers accurately predicted the future or retroactively had far more accurate opinions/views than the mainstream fans. Obviously I still don't take them as gospel, but I feel they warrant some consideration so long as it's made clear that it's all unconfirmed.

As far as having shills trying to mislead the crowd, with the unnatural rate that random Chinese team members keep making it to Weibo's top searches list, I can't entirely dismiss the rumors that the team (or someone) is buying slots on the list and trying to generate publicity and popularity. ZJK's publicity team most likely does have shills (although tbh his crazy fangirls would probably do it for free lol), but I'm hard-pressed to believe that the team, or other players on the team, don't as well, not with players with less than 100k followers randomly making the top 50 without doing anything (for the non-Chinese peeps: this is a super small-fry number—this shit just doesn't happen on Weibo unless you buy it)

As for LGL, I figure it's either a power struggle (new guy coming up dethroning the local king in his jurisdiction), especially with reform efforts all across the board in Chinese sports (TT is far from the first since the Olympics), or, as rumors indicate, in investigating KLH they found dirt on LGL too.

Not entirely sure what you're saying for the last two lines, but I'll try to answer based on what I think you're saying? IF the latter case were true, then the government would be taking down LGL for reasons confirmed to the gov but thus far kept hidden from the public, so gossip to us outsiders but not gossip to the government. When I said "saving face" I meant that it would look really bad publicly taking down both older Grand Slam "kings" of the "National Sport," assuming they both had dirt, but as I said, this is a huge if. I guess we'll find out pretty soon though, I mean if LGL really isn't clean, I can't imagine the government would keep hiding it now that all this has happened. If the government doesn't say anything then I'm absolutely kicking this rumor to the curb as yet another dumb TT conspiracy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Do you use Sina Weibo? In the early morning among top 10 hot searches, there were: the statement of the General Administration of Sports, Japanese player talking about ML's withdrawal, fans chanting for LGL, CNT speaking for LGL, Wang Nan's husband speaking for LGL. And a lot of players and coaches involved made to top 50 hot searches.
And check top 50 hot searches right now. Only one person of CNT remains but irrelevant to the incident. The hot search is ZJK and an online game. He is so popular, I know.

As far as having shills trying to mislead the crowd, with the unnatural rate that random Chinese team members keep making it to Weibo's top searches list, I can't entirely dismiss the rumors that the team (or someone) is buying slots on the list and trying to generate publicity and popularity. ZJK's publicity team most likely does have shills (although tbh his crazy fangirls would probably do it for free lol), but I'm hard-pressed to believe that the team, or other players on the team, don't as well, not with players with less than 100k followers randomly making the top 50 without doing anything (for the non-Chinese peeps: this is a super small-fry number—this shit just doesn't happen on Weibo unless you buy it)

Last edited:
Reactions: Baal
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Surely the punishment won't be as drastic as that tropical?

Such a punishment would be surprisingly mild, as "severe punishment" tends to go quite far in totalitarian structures. Loss of limbs is mild punishment in that context. End of career a mere trifle, barely worth a mention. Or so I fear.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Absolutely, tons of rumors flying, always a lot of mudslinging between the fans of the top players. I used to dismiss them immediately because it just seemed like a bunch of angry haters trashing everyone they could, but in the past months there have been several accounts in which the naysayers accurately predicted the future or retroactively had far more accurate opinions/views than the mainstream fans. Obviously I still don't take them as gospel, but I feel they warrant some consideration so long as it's made clear that it's all unconfirmed.

As for LGL, I figure it's either a power struggle (new guy coming up dethroning the local king in his jurisdiction), especially with reform efforts all across the board in Chinese sports (TT is far from the first since the Olympics), or, as rumors indicate, in investigating KLH they found dirt on LGL too.

Not entirely sure what you're saying for the last two lines, but I'll try to answer based on what I think you're saying? IF the latter case were true, then the government would be taking down LGL for reasons confirmed to the gov but thus far kept hidden from the public, so gossip to us outsiders but not gossip to the government. When I said "saving face" I meant that it would look really bad publicly taking down both older Grand Slam "kings" of the "National Sport," assuming they both had dirt, but as I said, this is a huge if. I guess we'll find out pretty soon though, I mean if LGL really isn't clean, I can't imagine the government would keep hiding it now that all this has happened. If the government doesn't say anything then I'm absolutely kicking this rumor to the curb as yet another dumb TT conspiracy.

Sorry I didn't make it clear. The problem here is the way General Administration of Sport made changes was gross. It was reported by a journalist that it was a sudden decision from GAS and the players or coaches didn't have the time to question the decision before it was announced to the public (and worse, after it was announced). That was very unfair and irregular. So I can understand why the players needed an answer. And obviously if they have had the idea that LGL was not clean, they would not do such things.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Do you use Sina Weibo? In the early morning among top 10 hot searches, there were: the statement of the General Administration of Sports, Japanese player talking about ML's withdrawal, fans chanting for LGL, CNT speaking for LGL, Wang Nan's husband speaking for LGL. And a lot of players and coaches involved made to top 50 hot searches.
And check top 50 hot searches right now. Only one person remains: ZJK and an online game. He is so popular, I know.

LOL that's typical.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
And check top 50 hot searches right now. Only one person remains: ZJK and an online game. He is so popular, I know.
Sina definitely blocked a ton of searches last night (something like 13 or 17 out of 50?) because they all disappeared at the exact same time as they started deleting the protest weibos, but ZJK + WZRY was up on the lists prior to 19:00 when the protests weibos started. Surprised they didn't take it down as well since he's a table tennis player, but he also didn't participate, so I guess his publicity team has a good enough relationship with Sina to keep it on the list?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Let's not assume it is his team who keeps his name on the hot searches. Let's give credits to his 8.2 million fans and popularity among Weibo users.

Sina definitely blocked a ton of searches last night (something like 13 or 17 out of 50?) because they all disappeared at the exact same time as they started deleting the protest weibos, but ZJK + WZRY was up on the lists prior to 19:00 when the protests weibos started. Surprised they didn't take it down as well since he's a table tennis player, but he also didn't participate, so I guess his publicity team has a good enough relationship with Sina to keep it on the list?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Sorry I didn't make it clear. The problem here is the way General Administration of Sport made changes was gross. It was reported by a journalist that it was a sudden decision from GAS and the players or coaches didn't have the time to question the decision before it was announced to the public (and worse, after it was announced). That was very unfair and irregular. So I can understand why the players needed an answer. And obviously if they have had the idea that LGL was not clean, they would not do such things.
Ah, I see I see. I agree, can't say I'm ever very impressed with how the government chooses to deal with things lol, but I guess I'm used to it. Seems to happen so often it's pointless to care, but it must be different when it happens to yourself and your team/friends. I respect the team's desire to see the truth and justice, but I have to say that my personal opinion that their protest this time was very courageous but tremendously stupid. I'm afraid that all they've accomplished is to stick LGL in a deeper hole as well as sacrifice themselves. Table tennis just doesn't have the traction to be some sort of big revolution about transparency and free speech against the government's shady shenanigans...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Let's not assume it is his team who keeps his name on the hot searches. Let's give credits to his 8.2 million fans and popularity among Weibo users.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that; under normal circumstances, I'm not surprised when he crops up on the searches list because he really is popular. I just meant that it's a little unexpected for Sina to not block his name like they did with everyone else, since in the public's eyes he's part of team (some people even think his injury-related withdrawal was part of the protest). Whether that's because of a team or if Sina only deleted hot searches that popped up after 19:00, or if Sina just likes him or whatever, who knows.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Ah, I see I see. I agree, can't say I'm ever very impressed with how the government chooses to deal with things lol, but I guess I'm used to it. Seems to happen so often it's pointless to care, but it must be different when it happens to yourself and your team/friends. I respect the team's desire to see the truth and justice, but I have to say that my personal opinion that their protest this time was very courageous but tremendously stupid. I'm afraid that all they've accomplished is to stick LGL in a deeper hole as well as sacrifice themselves. Table tennis just doesn't have the traction to be some sort of big revolution about transparency and free speech against the government's shady shenanigans...

I think these players were too young thus naive. They think the protest was simply to support their loving coach and completely forget the consequences. It is not as simple as they think as this China Open is in their own country their government will not tolerate such action. I feel sad for them as their career will be gone and so is their money, reputation, etc. I hope I am wrong but my experience with communist tells me otherwise. I wish they could've just made a symbolic protest like the 1968 Olympics Black Power salute.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
I am also think Chinese government will not tolerate it, those players may not be able to play for China any more.
They may have to move to another countries to play or teach. Many Chinese players before they upset the coach or government , at the end they had to go to Japan, Taiwan...etc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I think these players were too young thus naive. They think the protest was simply to support their loving coach and completely forget the consequences. It is not as simple as they think as this China Open is in their own country their government will not tolerate such action. I feel sad for them as their career will be gone and so is their money, reputation, etc. I hope I am wrong but my experience with communist tells me otherwise. I wish they could've just made a symbolic protest like the 1968 Olympics Black Power salute.
It may come down to how much the government want's gold, whether or not it's important enough to forgive the team for seriously embarrassing them on a international scale (although only a table tennis international). On one hand, the government's fervor for winning gold seems much less than earlier years; on the other, losing at Tokyo 2020, especially against Japanese players in a sport they traditionally crush in, would be a massive sore spot for them. Outside of the top 3/4 players, the Chinese are not really all that dominant in the sport; ruining ML XX & FZD's careers could mean a big and embarrassing loss in Tokyo.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The Black Power salute of 1968 came to my mind too Tropical. Interesting that the guy who won the Bronze medal to John Carlos and Tommie Smith was an Australian named Peter Norman, who was vocally supportive of their protest. He actually had a particularly hard time after that, and was denied a spot on the 1972 Australian Olympic team in spite of having the fastest qualification times in his country. Some say it may have had a role (Australian Olympic committee says that is simple matter that he was injured). When Peter Norman died in 2006, Smith and Carlos were pallbearers at his funeral. More recently, they erected a statue of Smith and Carlos at San Jose State University, where they both went to school. History has been kind to what they did. It was said at the University of Guelph that "In that moment, Tommie Smith, Peter Norman, and John Carlos became the living embodiments of Olympic idealism. Ever since, they have been inspirations to generations of athletes like myself, who can only aspire to their example of putting principle before personal interest. It was their misfortune to be far greater human beings than the leaders of the IOC of the day."

Some day history will be kind to Colin Kaepernick too.

It pays to be on the right side of history. All my instincts are to support the players and hope they will not be destroyed by this, regardless of whatever may emerge about LGL.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

What black Power salute?