Butterfly Jun Mizutani ZLC (Rubber suggestions)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi TTD Members,

My name is Aijaz and I am from India.

I am looking for rubbers for MJ-ZLC.

My current setup is DHS Long 5 (commercial) with G-1 on FH and Rakza 7 on BH. I am a FH dominant player relying on loop and drive. On the BH its more push/ block and currently developing loop and drive on the same.

I am considering switching to MJ-ZLC for ease of use and for EJ reasons :p

Would using the same pair of rubbers be advisable? Please suggest.

Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
You need tacky catapulty rubber on fh and tensorbackhand
I also missed to add something about style of play. I play more close-mid distance.

Thanks for responding @TensorBackhand . G1 is not exactly tacky but grippy. I really like that feel. I have never tried tacky rubbers so far.
What rubbers do you suggest for tacky + catapult? Something like Hybrid MK?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I also missed to add something about style of play. I play more close-mid distance.

Thanks for responding @TensorBackhand . G1 is not exactly tacky but grippy. I really like that feel. I have never tried tacky rubbers so far.
Hybrid MK could be good, but kinda soft. K3 or C53 are good ESN choices, loki arthur china, bloom power, jupiter 3 are all good.

Reactions: Aijaz_000
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi TTD Members,

My name is Aijaz and I am from India.

I am looking for rubbers for MJ-ZLC.

My current setup is DHS Long 5 (commercial) with G-1 on FH and Rakza 7 on BH. I am a FH dominant player relying on loop and drive. On the BH its more push/ block and currently developing loop and drive on the same.

I am considering switching to MJ-ZLC for ease of use and for EJ reasons :p

Would using the same pair of rubbers be advisable? Please suggest.

Thank you.
I heard that MJ-ZLC is very very fast. My suggestion is not going to be very popular. I personally would not recommend EJ'ing and changing two things at the same time. With the thought that MJ-ZLC will be harder and faster than DHS Long 5 (commercial), maybe go with C-1 on the FH and Rakza 7 soft o the BH?

I think staying in the same family of rubbers for now will make your EJ'ing more enjoyable. Then once you are comfortable and familiar with your new MJ-ZLC, then switch to other rubbers.

Also if you are developing backhand loop and drive right now, you will like Rakza 7 soft's sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I heard that MJ-ZLC is very very fast. My suggestion is not going to be very popular. I personally would not recommend EJ'ing and changing two things at the same time. With the thought that MJ-ZLC will be harder and faster than DHS Long 5 (commercial), maybe go with C-1 on the FH and Rakza 7 soft o the BH?

I think staying in the same family of rubbers for now will make your EJ'ing more enjoyable. Then once you are comfortable and familiar with your new MJ-ZLC, then switch to other rubbers.

Also if you are developing backhand loop and drive right now, you will like Rakza 7 soft's sponge.
Thanks @JJ Ng I will keep this in mind. :)

How would you rate the spin/rotation capability of C1 compared to G1?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I haven't try zlc yet, but the szlc is the fastest blade in the szlc line up. So beware that you can't control it. Try some more rubbers then choose the one you can handle. D09c,D80, mxd,eld, fxd, try more and more.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I haven't try zlc yet, but the szlc is the fastest blade in the szlc line up. So beware that you can't control it. Try some more rubbers then choose the one you can handle. D09c,D80, mxd,eld, fxd, try more and more.
Hi @ben1229 - I am looking at the ZLC for now. Not the SZLC as I understand that it is too fast. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Zlc also very fast, but depends on your lvl, if you can handle hl5, I think you can handle the zlc, but mid far distance, I don't recommend soft rubber, so just try more different rubbers to choose one.
Thanks ben, I will keep this in mind.
At the moment, I am able to handle HL5, my goto strat is loop against back spin from close followed by drive from close- mid distance on FH.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Switching to a new blade, I will always recommend trying your old rubbers on it, if nothing else but to aid in the transition of a blade with different characteristics by keeping some factors the same from your old setup

Reactions: JJ Ng and Aijaz_000
says On a never ending EJ journey
Jun 2023
I actually just switched to this blade recently. I'm currently using T05H 1.9mm on both sides and it's been one of the best setups for me. The hard rubber synergizes with the soft limba top layer so the short game is easy to control and then far away from the table, you can hit past the limba and engage the ZLC.
The MJ-ZLC naturally has a high throw angle because of the limba layer and the T05H tempers it down so shots become a lot more direct and fast. Feeling is very crisp and I'm often surprised at how many shots land when I don't expect them to. Might try T05H 2.1 or D80 on this setup next. MJ himself uses D80 on both sides.

• Love

Mind that Hybrid MK is not tacky at all, just very grippy.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Switching to a new blade, I will always recommend trying your old rubbers on it, if nothing else but to aid in the transition of a blade with different characteristics by keeping some factors the same from your old setup
Thanks. By old you mean the sheets I am currently using or a new pair of the same rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I actually just switched to this blade recently. I'm currently using T05H 1.9mm on both sides and it's been one of the best setups for me. The hard rubber synergizes with the soft limba top layer so the short game is easy to control and then far away from the table, you can hit past the limba and engage the ZLC.
The MJ-ZLC naturally has a high throw angle because of the limba layer and the T05H tempers it down so shots become a lot more direct and fast. Feeling is very crisp and I'm often surprised at how many shots land when I don't expect them to. Might try T05H 2.1 or D80 on this setup next. MJ himself uses D80 on both sides.
Thats great to know. I also observe that you have changed from W968. How do W968 and MJ ZLC compare? Additionally I cannot afford the BTY rubbers for now. Could you suggest some alternatives to T05H or Dignics 80?

Have you weighed your MJ ZLC by any chance?

Jun 2023
Thats great to know. I also observe that you have changed from W968. How do W968 and MJ ZLC compare? Additionally I cannot afford the BTY rubbers for now. Could you suggest some alternatives to T05H or Dignics 80?

Have you weighed your MJ ZLC by any chance?
Well I like to experiment a lot. The MJ ZLC is much more crisp and easy to use compared to W968. The ZLC layer being on the outer layer makes the carbon engage earlier but the limba top verneer gives enough dwell. The MJ-ZLC plays similarly to an outer koto ALC blade but slightly more crisp. Mine is 86g.
Other rubbers that I think would work well include Xiom Omega VII Pro and Nittaku G1

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Well I like to experiment a lot. The MJ ZLC is much more crisp and easy to use compared to W968. The ZLC layer being on the outer layer makes the carbon engage earlier but the limba top verneer gives enough dwell. The MJ-ZLC plays similarly to an outer koto ALC blade but slightly more crisp. Mine is 86g.
Other rubbers that I think would work well include Xiom Omega VII Pro and Nittaku G1
Thank you the details.

Do you think it would be better to switch to a Koto ALC blade before MJ-ZLC?

Sorry if I am bugging you with too many questions.

Jun 2023
Thank you the details.

Do you think it would be better to switch to a Koto ALC blade before MJ-ZLC?

Sorry if I am bugging you with too many questions.
No worries. I wouldn’t say it’s better, it’s just different. I prefer crisp blades because it gives me a sharp feedback. ALC feels slightly more dull to me. Just all preference.

From what I’ve read online, it’s pretty regarded that the MJ-ZLC is an easy to handle blade that intermediates can use.