carbon blade with spin ability

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello, I'm looking for a carbon blade that helps with ease of spin creation and that has a strong maximum spin capability.It should be slower than viscaria, but faster than persson powerplay.And control needs to be good, which means it cannot be too flexible such as some very thin carbon blades are.I have bought a harimoto alc and I'm very disappointed in its spin ability. Ease of creation is there but maximum spin very bad.Blocks come back too low and without spin and defenders complain about the lack of spin in my loops.And no, I am not noob player or rubber issue such as bad glue job or technique issue whatsoever.Of course with some adjustment I can mitigate the issue but only by around 30%.Any suggestions?

NDH

says Spin to win!
And no, I am not noob player or rubber issue such as bad glue job or technique issue whatsoever.Of course with some adjustment I can mitigate the issue but only by around 30%.Any suggestions?
What level do you play at? Any video we can see?

I’ve played with the Harimoto ALC, and didn’t think it had a lower spin capability than others.

To be honest, this whole “X blade doesn’t have spin”, is crazy talk.

The faster you hit the ball, the less spin you’ll have - Simple physics.

If you can’t get decent spin from the Harimoto ALC, the blade isn’t the issue.

Spin potential between Harimoto ALC and Viscaria is incredibly similar - You’ll only get more spin if you keep with the all wood blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019

I’ve played with the Harimoto ALC, and didn’t think it had a lower spin capability than others.

Spin potential between Harimoto ALC and Viscaria is incredibly similar - You’ll only get more spin if you keep with the all wood blades.
Absolutely agree 100%! If can’t spin with Harimoto it’s not the blade that’s the issue. I have used Harimoto and got loads of spin, I know top end players that use that blade.

Maybe give your bat to other very good players in the club and see if they also have “spin issue”

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018

I unfortunately disagree with mostly everything you said there except maybe your last sentence. Of course I meant that the blade produces significantly less spin than my powerplay, not that it "doesn't have spin". I'm currently playing in Austria, with a 1500 rating which to my understanding is around 2000 USATT level. I spoke to a 2000 austrian rating player who tried to switch from korbel to harimoto and he made the same experience, the spin is missing, so this fact is not debateable.

Also, hitting the ball faster up to the optimal level required by the hardness of the rubber will increase the spin, not decrease so that statement is also not accurate. And therefore, no, the physics are not as simple as you try to make it out.

Anyways, I am merely looking for suggestions for modern ALC/ZLC blades that offer good control with ABS balls without impairing the spin ability compared to all-wood too much and reasons for why you would recommend a certain blade, but not for a discussion about semantics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Maybe give your bat to other very good players in the club and see if they also have “spin issue”

See my post above, the answer is yes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I think that the combination of blade, sponge, top sheet and how you hit the ball sums up in the ability of creating spin with that specific combination.
What I have discovered is that a hard stiff blade with a hard sponged Hurricane 3 NEO H41 rewards hard and fast brushed strokes.My belief is that with too much difference in hardness between the blade and rubber, they just don't interact in a good way.
Now my experience is quite limited as I've been using mostly Chinese hard rubbers and lately more hard, stiff blades in combo.Some great ALC blades are Sanwei HC-5S, Sanwei EX-C Froster, Yinhe V-14 PRO and DHS Power G5X. Works well for me.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
HL5 is often cited for spin potential
I know, but the one I tried felt hollow and was not faster than my powerplay. Also too flexy.
Probably HL5x is better but I am not a fan of DHS quality control. They sold me a 76g H301 🙄

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
My belief is that with too much difference in hardness between the blade and rubber, they just don't interact in a good way.
I agree. The harimoto is a hard-ish blade, but I tried it with my usual rubbers D09c and T05, which are on the harder side as well.
In theory, not a bad combination. In fact, control is good. But spin is capped at 70% my usual level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Harimoto is fairly flexy blade, so I think it should generate good spin. I'm pretty sure if you use a faster/stiffer blade, it will generate less spin.

Why not try the Fang Bo Carbon? If you are 2000, you should be able to get a lot of power and spin out of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Everyone have different techniques, and it results in drastically different amount of speed and spin on the same equipment. Lets just go back to the basics and try to remember how spin is generated here: friction (force) applied in the tangential direction on the ball. So, to get more spin, you need more force in that direction, or the same amount of force but applied for a longer period of time. So, in order to achieve that without changing the technique, there are two solutions: 1. softer paddle to get more dwell time, increasing the time of the force applied on the ball; 2. (maybe not so obvious) a springier paddle, which will increase the force, but shortening the time, which also means you might get mixed results if you go this route.

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Everyone have different techniques, and it results in drastically different amount of speed and spin on the same equipment. Lets just go back to the basics and try to remember how spin is generated here: friction (force) applied in the tangential direction on the ball. So, to get more spin, you need more force in that direction, or the same amount of force but applied for a longer period of time. So, in order to achieve that without changing the technique, there are two solutions: 1. softer paddle to get more dwell time, increasing the time of the force applied on the ball; 2. (maybe not so obvious) a springier paddle, which will increase the force, but shortening the time, which also means you might get mixed results if you go this route.

The Harimoto is flexier, and has more dwell time than the Powerplay, doesn't it? So shouldn't the Harimoto generate more spin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Honestly I think you should give HL5 or BO2 a try again. I think I am closer to 1500USATT rating, and I feel I get a lot of spin and power and overall excellent shots out of HL5. If I can get the spin, you should be able to do a lot more with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I agree. The harimoto is a hard-ish blade, but I tried it with my usual rubbers D09c and T05, which are on the harder side as well.
In theory, not a bad combination. In fact, control is good. But spin is capped at 70% my usual level.

What I noticed with harder rubbers like D09c or even Tenergy is that a heavier setup grants more spin and speed. Both Tenergy and D09c are fairly light rubbers. I had a D09c + D64 on a 84g Nexy Eucrasia blade and it was 179g, it was pretty good but once I changed the 45g D64 to a 53g rubber on the back the D09c just came alive. You really need to beat the hell out of these harder rubbers. So instead of getting a specific blade maybe try to get something you like in a really heavy weight. I've added a racket grip to my handle and on purpose put more glue on the sponges + some edge tape so now I'm at 189g and it feels more spinny and faster.
It's just hard to engage hard rubbers with a light setup...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Honestly I think you should give HL5 or BO2 a try again. I think I am closer to 1500USATT rating, and I feel I get a lot of spin and power and overall excellent shots out of HL5. If I can get the spin, you should be able to do a lot more with it.

I had a BO2 5 years ago or so, but it was too fast for me back then. Maybe you are correct, depends on whether the X versions alleviate the issue of hollowness and too much flex for ABS balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

The Harimoto is flexier, and has more dwell time than the Powerplay, doesn't it? So shouldn't the Harimoto generate more spin?

Yes, if it is actually softer, it should. See what I'm implying here? 😉

But keep in mind, like I said in the previous comment, a springer paddle could also generate more spin, depends on how much the spring effect amplifies the power you apply to the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
What I noticed with harder rubbers like D09c or even Tenergy is that a heavier setup grants more spin and speed. Both Tenergy and D09c are fairly light rubbers. I had a D09c + D64 on a 84g Nexy Eucrasia blade and it was 179g, it was pretty good but once I changed the 45g D64 to a 53g rubber on the back the D09c just came alive. You really need to beat the hell out of these harder rubbers. So instead of getting a specific blade maybe try to get something you like in a really heavy weight. I've added a racket grip to my handle and on purpose put more glue on the sponges + some edge tape so now I'm at 189g and it feels more spinny and faster.
It's just hard to engage hard rubbers with a light setup...
Probably there is something to this. Hard rubbers on light blades play strange to me as well. I tried to get a 88-92g harimoto but the heaviest that the local shop (allegedly) had was 84g, which is strange to say the least. However, I tried Vega Asia DF, a soft rubber, but the spin issue still persisted. (Not like it makes sense to expect a lot of spin when smacking a soft rubber though, of course 😀)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018

Yes, if it is actually softer, it should. See what I'm implying here? 😉

Hm, yes the harimoto definetly seems to have a harder core, and the carbon of course. Outer layers of harimoto are softer though.
The spin issue only arises on medium to strong impact loops. pushes and chops have excellent spin, serves and opening loops somewhat normal spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Probably there is something to this. Hard rubbers on light blades play strange to me as well. I tried to get a 88-92g harimoto but the heaviest that the local shop (allegedly) had was 84g, which is strange to say the least. However, I tried Vega Asia DF, a soft rubber, but the spin issue still persisted. (Not like it makes sense to expect a lot of spin when smacking a soft rubber though, of course 😀)

I have a few chinese TT merchants on my wechat and they sell a ton of Golden Viscarias. Anyways they post a ton of pictures of Golden Viscarias on a scale and those are really heavy. 93-95g, and most are 95g.
This is a quite recent find for me about the weight as I always looked for light setups in the past and I had this mentality. Tho in the past I preferred soft rubbers like Calibra Sound or FX-S...
But I have a 93g Maze ALC and I remember I really loved that blade with 2 Rozenas. In fact I was recently thinking about trying it out with D09c and a Rozena on BH. Maze ALC or Freitas ALC is a great blade. 6mm, not very flexy, limba top, ALC, still pretty fast. For sure it's not as fast passively as a Viscaria but I would wager if you start smashing the 6mm thickness keeps up better than 5.7-5.8mm on a Viscaria. I rec it, since I rarely see anyone recommend it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018

I have a few chinese TT merchants on my wechat and they sell a ton of Golden Viscarias. Anyways they post a ton of pictures of Golden Viscarias on a scale and those are really heavy. 93-95g, and most are 95g.
This is a quite recent find for me about the weight as I always looked for light setups in the past and I had this mentality. Tho in the past I preferred soft rubbers like Calibra Sound or FX-S...
But I have a 93g Maze ALC and I remember I really loved that blade with 2 Rozenas. In fact I was recently thinking about trying it out with D09c and a Rozena on BH. Maze ALC or Freitas ALC is a great blade. 6mm, not very flexy, limba top, ALC, still pretty fast. For sure it's not as fast passively as a Viscaria but I would wager if you start smashing the 6mm thickness keeps up better than 5.7-5.8mm on a Viscaria. I rec it, since I rarely see anyone recommend it.

Good point, I'll try to add some weight to my blade to compensate for the 6g difference. Glue, booster and edge tape should do the trick.
Freitas seemed good, I tried it in Norway where the setting was really slow, great speed, as you say probably more controllable on slow to medium impact, but very fast when needed. Some very good coach had recently bought it but was debating whether it is too fast for him, haha. Still, my setting atm is very fast, hard floor, small hall, warm, and seamless balls, so Freitas is probably too fast for me.