Carbon or wood?

says Aging is a killer
PS. Tinykin I keep going back to Tenergy but get rid straight after, I maybe one person in UK who doesn't like it ahaha

Come to Mama...come to mama...Tennn....Tenergyyy....mama wants to see you...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. There are some players who can try blade after blade, setup after setup and it messes them up. Others, and more often, if the player's technique is decent, it makes them able to adapt their technique to changes in equipment better.

I have been using my current blade for just short of a year. Before that I tried a bunch of different blades that were all decent for me. But something about the blade I am using now, and how it feels, makes me happy and I don't feel I need to try anything else as of now.

When I change my rubbers, sometimes I use what I used last time or the time before. Sometimes I try something new. Unless I really don't like the rubbers, I just keep using them until the rubbers are worn and need changing.

When I change to a new set of rubbers, or to a new blade, there is a period of maybe an hour or two where I am feeling out the new equipment and my technique adapts a bit to the new setup. But it usually doesn't take more than that.

For a new blade, if I change to one, if I change to and play with pretty much any decent blade for about an hour it works for me. If I play with it for one month it feels like it is part of me.

It is good to find something that works for you and you feel happy with. But it is okay to change equipment every so often to try something else.

If you have solid technique, your technique will adapt to pretty much any equipment you change to within reason.

But, still, an all wood, 5 ply, flexible blade with good feel and good dwell time is better for most people until they reach a certain level.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
For me it doesn't work that way Carl. I need at least a week to get used to new rubbers and a lot more then that for blades. It may be lack of technique or something psychological. And i'm not not the only one. The best player in my team plays with the same Butterfly for 10 years and doesn't change because he can't get used to another blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For me it doesn't work that way Carl. I need at least a week to get used to new rubbers and a lot more then that for blades. It may be lack of technique or something psychological. And i'm not not the only one. The best player in my team plays with the same Butterfly for 10 years and doesn't change because he can't get used to another blade.

Yep. There are definitely people like that. That is nothing to worry about. I have a friend who is about 2100 who is super fussy about his equipment and he feels he can't use anything but what he has. He has an old blade that isn't made any more so he is afraid he will get messed up if he ever breaks his blade. Everyone is different.

So guys who have, and have tried a lot of blades, sometimes they don't mess their game up and don't mess their technique up. Sometimes they just develop being more adaptable to changes in equipment.

Can't say what is right. But for a lot of players, changing gear is not such a big deal. And then for other players, it is.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
HA! Idiots, then! thanks Cornel.

Hey, I think you misunderstood me. In fact my reply was kind of a joke and works for less than 1% of EJs, the most extreme ones. I guess a serious definition would be "someone who cares about their equipment". In fact, I guess 95% of this forum members or even more are EJs, including me. I love to try others' rackets and to think about what is better for my game. Of course there are people who don't care about their racket unless it's an absolutely bad one. But if there weren't EJs, I guess table tennis forums wouldn't exist.

This user has no status.
Now, my friend who I practice with a fair bit trained in the 70s with kjell johansson and a few others from that era in Sweden, he played semi pro and trained in Sweden lots along with other great players in th UK. He kind of just knows how to hit a ball. He is very modest about his skills but talk to him about bats, and every time I turn up with a new blade or rubber he rolls his eyes. Give him a go and it is like he has used the bat all his life. Read into this what you will but another friend calls EJs silly and money wasters as you can't buy a game of TT. Learn to play the game and as a massive EJ myself (just ask Dan) I too have now come to the conclusion my skills with a bat are more important than what bat I have. But, I do still like to try new stuff but unless it really stands out and suits my style then I will stick to training and match play with the same bat. Wood or carbon I think the only answer is personal choice, but thats my opinion.

Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
Now, my friend who I practice with a fair bit trained in the 70s with kjell johansson and a few others from that era in Sweden, he played semi pro and trained in Sweden lots along with other great players in th UK. He kind of just knows how to hit a ball. He is very modest about his skills but talk to him about bats, and every time I turn up with a new blade or rubber he rolls his eyes. Give him a go and it is like he has used the bat all his life. Read into this what you will but another friend calls EJs silly and money wasters as you can't buy a game of TT. Learn to play the game and as a massive EJ myself (just ask Dan) I too have now come to the conclusion my skills with a bat are more important than what bat I have. But, I do still like to try new stuff but unless it really stands out and suits my style then I will stick to training and match play with the same bat. Wood or carbon I think the only answer is personal choice, but thats my opinion.

Your word are my words....

Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

I feel like this is the same as saying we don't need to eat anything everyday than potato, boiled eggs and lettuce because that's all you need to survive. Plenty of people EJ not because they are looking equipments to improve their game, but just as curiosity and looking for something they like

This user has no status.
I feel like this is the same as saying we don't need to eat anything everyday than potato, boiled eggs and lettuce because that's all you need to survive. Plenty of people EJ not because they are looking equipments to improve their game, but just as curiosity and looking for something they like

I understand what you are saying laistrogian. But one thing is trying other things. Another one is worry about material as if it would make you a better player.

But my opinion is very narrowed in this things. I've been a professional athlete (cyclist) almost all my life and i tend to worry mainly about results.
I could try new cycling shoes or pedals or forks. But if i didn't feel an improvement in terms of results i would always stick to what is more confortable to my riding style.
When i start playing TT for real, i took the same mentality. Is the only way i know sports...

This user has no status.

Exactly, we don't have to but we do, so it boils down to why you want to change or if you just enjoy playing not worried about results and love trying new stuff. I want to win a few ranking points now as I hve hit the veteran age :( so for me the equipment has to step aside for now. Meat and potatoes for me :)

Most of us play for pleasure. For some, trying new things, even owning them is a pleasure. That makes no harm to anyone and should be ok for all. In fact, even priorities are not the same for everyone. For most players, winning is the most important thing. For purely recreational players, sometimes a violent hit that gets the table or a very spinny loop out of pure serendipity is more pleasurable than consistency and results. More laughs and funny comments stem from these hits than from games won. This is a strange world and tastes, even if ludicrous, are many. Just sayin'

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
You are damn rigth !!!! Myself win i dont care so much i just want heavy soin and get my opponente run a little bit!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk