Carbon or wood?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
As someone with MJ SZLC, I can tell you that I don't benefit at all by using the $400 blade with Tenergy 05. I could've bought a $50 all wood blade with cheaper tensor rubbers and I'd just play as well.

The only reason I use MJ SZLC with T05 is because with all the blades and rubbers I've tried, nothing feels better than my current setup.

However, if you're using Yasaka Extra Offensive right now, I can tell you that you don't really need a faster blade. YEO is a fantastic blade. Just put something like MX-P or rasant grip on it and the blade will rip through the ball on loops

I bought 2 Innerforce ZLCs thinking I needed more speed. Right now, I am back to my 5 ply Yasaka Sweden Extra. The only thing I have decided is that it is Tenergy 05 for the foreseeable future. I am not broke and I have wasted enough money testing rubbers.

or you could save a little bit and get MX-P
;). Although you still can't get that spring sponge sensation from MX-P

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
As someone with MJ SZLC, I can tell you that I don't benefit at all by using the $400 blade with Tenergy 05. I could've bought a $50 all wood blade with cheaper tensor rubbers and I'd just play as well.

The only reason I use MJ SZLC with T05 is because with all the blades and rubbers I've tried, nothing feels better than my current setup.

However, if you're using Yasaka Extra Offensive right now, I can tell you that you don't really need a faster blade. YEO is a fantastic blade. Just put something like MX-P or rasant grip on it and the blade will rip through the ball on loops

or you could save a little bit and get MX-P
;). Although you still can't get that spring sponge sensation from MX-P

If you look at my equipment, you will see that my choice was informed. I even tried EL-P as well. But the spring sponge just helps me get more balls back when I am out of position.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
The mxp i didnt try because iam scare for the hardness of the sponge but who know if i need more speed why not try it on forehand . But first i will try the malin extra off with the 2 spare el-p that i have on compare tu the blade i use

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I bought 2 Innerforce ZLCs thinking I needed more speed. Right now, I am back to my 5 ply Yasaka Sweden Extra. The only thing I have decided is that it is Tenergy 05 for the foreseeable future. I am not broke and I have wasted enough money testing rubbers.

Gotta love it. E to the J. Sweden Extra is awesome. The IF ZLC is as nice a ZLC blade as there is out there. But I will take the extra angles I can get from a slightly slower blade and add the force for the pace myself.

You have more than enough power to make that Extra play like a rocket ship.

I would EJ more if I could get MX-P's topsheet put onto Tenergy's sponge. LOL.

or you could save a little bit and get MX-P ;). Although you still can't get that spring sponge sensation from MX-P

Just in case you missed the meaning of this statement:

The only thing I have decided is that it is Tenergy 05 for the foreseeable future. I am not broke and I have wasted enough money testing rubbers.

NextLevel has tried MX-P, MX-S Baracuda and a host of other rubbers and it seems he has decided to stick with T05 for the foreseeable future because he doesn't need to save money or waste time or money trying anything else. He has posted elsewhere how nothing really gets as much spin and pace for the effort put in as T05: at least for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
hmmmmmm interesting ... the main advantage in carbon blades is the weight over the speed ratio....
But the control can be great also ... i remember when i build one very simple carbon off++ 75g blade and all players here at our club was shocked about the control , and i have to build more of this type for them......
but i personally prefer slower blades with aramid carbon .
Now i`m building only all wood blades with different types of core and top ply and in test i do not feel this complexity like with carbon blades .. they are more/less linear blades .. not like carbon where placement of carbon layer can make a huge difference in soft touch and hard stroke .... there you can feel how the each ply are applied to game when different force is used.
Yesterday i tested one of my blade i have done for one attack/chooper player where he has Yasaka rising dragon ... and it was brutal... one side was carbon and second wood side and the carbon side with dragon was insane fast for me ... but the wood side was just much slower with great touch ....
Generally not blade for me ... but the player is smiling and is absolutely happy about it.
It is all about the personal taste and that`s it.

Reactions: Suga D
says Aging is a killer
Timo Boll wood blades

It's funny but a poster once said that players waste so much money and time testing rubbers, but in the end (maybe years) they all come back to Tenergy.
I can just see the Butterfly production staff every morning saying, "come to mama, come to mama, come to Tenergy, come to mama."
We can add the Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit/Viscaria to that as well. Any player that has used it for a while doesn't want to change and ends up buying several of them.
But I have noticed several very good players who swear by their Timo Boll wood blades.
The best players in the 3 leagues that I play in all use wood blades with the Timo Boll the most popular.
I wonder why this blade has not featured on the EJ radar of blades to try? Is it because they are...inexpensive thus not worthy?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
It's funny but a poster once said that players waste so much money and time testing rubbers, but in the end (maybe years) they all come back to Tenergy.
I can just see the Butterfly production staff every morning saying, "come to mama, come to mama, come to Tenergy, come to mama."
We can add the Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit/Viscaria to that as well. Any player that has used it for a while doesn't want to change and ends up buying several of them.
But I have noticed several very good players who swear by their Timo Boll wood blades.
The best players in the 3 leagues that I play in all use wood blades with the Timo Boll the most popular.
I wonder why this blade has not featured on the EJ radar of blades to try? Is it because they are...inexpensive thus not worthy?

What is EJ?

says Aging is a killer
EJ lives matter

EJ players are not idiots.
They just have great curiousity about Table tennis overall. Personally, I have well over 100 blades and have tried every type of rubber. I have also tried out every TT technique from normal allround to full attack, pushblocker to LP chopper, inverted chopper to distance looper to near-table driver, banana flick to whatever and so on
On top of that, I have done all the coach training courses available and still do some actual coaching. Plus... I am a qualified umpire and have been very active for several years. Plus, I am active on on my club's committee and my local league's committee. Plus, I have refereed a couple of tournaments. Plus I plan, organise and run some local tournaments through my club.
Yes, us EJs take this sport too religiously.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If someone can afford to buy a lot of different rackets and rubbers to try different things and see how each plays, there is nothing wrong with that. Its if you can't afford it and still do it that it demonstrates a problem.

4 years ago I played at a club in NYC's Chinatown that had hundreds of members. One of the guys who worked there was a long time friend of mine from over 20 years earlier. He taught me a lot of how to play because, back then he was MUCH better than me and he also taught me a lot about equipment. He used to get pretty much every single person who came into the club to let him try their rackets. And after trying them he would make me try them. So I got to try so many different setups back than that I started understanding a decent amount about different kinds of wood and different rubbers and what kinds of equipment is good for what kinds of players.

If you want to use a racket and enjoy playing you don't need that. But, if you want the right racket for your own game, it doesn't hurt to have tried as many rackets as that. And if you want to help other people make intelligent choices in buying equipment for themselves, then it has a real usefulness. There is a reason why someone people understand TT equipment better than others.

This user has no status.
Carl, one thing is trying bats until you find what you need or want. As i told in previous post, that is how i found what i was looking for. Another thing is buying all the blades in the market just because... that will hurt your game very much.

Tinykin, i don't think that taking the sport too religiously is buying all the blades in the market. In my opinion is commiting to yourself to be the best player you can possibly be.
I don't think a guy gets to the Olympic Games by buying blades and no one doubts that olympic athletes are among the most commited people in the world.
Now, if you are a collector, than it's a different story. But even there i think collectors are commited to the material and not the game.
This is not a critic. If you do all those thing for table tennis, that is awesome to table tennis and to other players and i support that with all my strenght. But to your own game is very bad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
For me the difference is mainly speed, but also the weight as well. For me, i used a wood blade for about 2 years, the YEO. I think switched to the carbon version of it, the Yasaka Extra Offensive 7. The carbon version feels very good and faster. It as faster speed, but the feeling is a little bit gone, however, i can still feel the ball. I have heard that carbon blades help with the new plastic ball since it travels slower now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Carl, one thing is trying bats until you find what you need or want. As i told in previous post, that is how i found what i was looking for. Another thing is buying all the blades in the market just because... that will hurt your game very much.

Tinykin, i don't think that taking the sport too religiously is buying all the blades in the market. In my opinion is commiting to yourself to be the best player you can possibly be.
I don't think a guy gets to the Olympic Games by buying blades and no one doubts that olympic athletes are among the most commited people in the world.
Now, if you are a collector, than it's a different story. But even there i think collectors are commited to the material and not the game.
This is not a critic. If you do all those thing for table tennis, that is awesome to table tennis and to other players and i support that with all my strenght. But to your own game is very bad.

Unless you have some weird play style, switching rubbers or blade won't affect the game very much. I would switch between all wood to ALC to Super ZLC in a single session and as long as the rubbers are tensor / tenergy, I would get the swing angle in 5 minutes.

The big changes happen when you're flipping between chinese and EU/JP rubbers

This user has no status.
Unless you have some weird play style, switching rubbers or blade won't affect the game very much. I would switch between all wood to ALC to Super ZLC in a single session and as long as the rubbers are tensor / tenergy, I would get the swing angle in 5 minutes.

The big changes happen when you're flipping between chinese and EU/JP rubbers

A good player with the basics all sewn up could do this maybe. Maybe!

This user has no status.
There are lots and lots of wood and carbon blades, the people that make them are clever at marketing them. I have a vintage 1st generation Timo Boll Spirit, old black butterfly tag nailed on the bottom with fishscale veneer. It plays like a dream, much more feedback, way different to a modern spirit. They are being sold for silly money now, I personally can not play with it and although a lovely piece of equipment I keep going back to my W5 TB 5ply for the feeling of control I get, not just that but the handle the weight everything. Maybe i will find a carbon blade feels the same and I would use that, Maybe? I think I can say I'll let the carbon blades go to the highest bidder now because for me, no go.

It is all down to personal choice at the end, what feels good for one won't for another.
PS. Tinykin I keep going back to Tenergy but get rid straight after, I maybe one person in UK who doesn't like it ahaha

says Aging is a killer
The religious comment was a joke.
I should explain more. I have only bought about 30 blades to play serious matches both for me and my kids. Most of that was for replacements for damaged blades. If you can tell me a way not to hit the table I'd love to hear it as my wrist and finger joints are now suffering.
The rest were mostly heavily discounted stuff to simply try out or because they were unusual. Plus when players know that you like bats you usually end up with a few free ones. I have all sorts of bats going back to the fifties. I suppose I am a collector of sorts as I do have the Swedish team of Johansson, Alser, Bengsston and a couple of others. As well as the English team of Barna, Leach, Simons, Harrison, Meritt, Douglas.
From the Hungarian side, I only have an early Gergely. I am tempted sometimes to go for the rest.
All I have Chinese is an early Wang Liqin from when they first came out.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
The religious comment was a joke.
I should explain more. I have only bought about 30 blades to play serious matches both for me and my kids. Most of that was for replacements for damaged blades. If you can tell me a way not to hit the table I'd love to hear it as my wrist and finger joints are now suffering.
The rest were mostly heavily discounted stuff to simply try out or because they were unusual. Plus when players know that you like bats you usually end up with a few free ones. I have all sorts of bats going back to the fifties. I suppose I am a collector of sorts as I do have the Swedish team of Johansson, Alser, Bengsston and a couple of others. As well as the English team of Barna, Leach, Simons, Harrison, Meritt, Douglas.
From the Hungarian side, I only have an early Gergely. I am tempted sometimes to go for the rest.
All I have Chinese is an early Wang Liqin from when they first came out.

Sometimes nice to own a bit of sporting history hey bud. Class players.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl