Content Pulled from The Hijacking of GrandMaster's Thread

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you played only hardbat for a while, you might change your mind. Plus, I didn’t recommend hardbat for anyone else. I recommended that if you tried it, you might like it. I bet you could beat a lot of the active members on here using hardbat. I have that feeling.

Examples: many times you have insisted that SP on BH was what you call a social rubber without ever considering why different people choose different equipment and that your assumption for why is the only answer to why they do it. I have a friend named Kunal Shah. Last time I saw him was years ago. But at the time he was 2350++ and he used SP on BH and he used them in a very antisocial way that punished his opponents. I have another friend named Rocky who, last I saw him was 2500+ and he used SP on BH. I assure you this was quite antisocial for his opponents to handle how hard he smacked the ball with his BH and how easily he set his opponents up.

But you even insist that players in the top 100 women’s division are using their equipment because of social pressure not to use what you would use.

Over and over you have posted about SP being social rubbers.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Examples: many times you have insisted that SP on BH was what you call a social rubber without ever considering why different people choose different equipment and that your assumption for why is the only answer to why they do it. I have a friend named Kunal Shah. Last time I saw him was years ago. But at the time he was 2350++ and he used SP on BH and he used them in a very antisocial way that punished his opponents. I have another friend named Rocky who, last I saw him was 2500+ and he used SP on BH. I assure you this was quite antisocial for his opponents to handle how hard he smacked the ball with his BH and how easily he set his opponents up.

But you even insist that players in the top 100 women’s division are using their equipment because of social pressure not to use what you would use.

Over and over you have posted about SP being social rubbers.
What do you mean by anti social way?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What do you mean by anti social way?
They punish their opponents with powerful smack shots. Those can be pretty evil, especially when well placed. Brs is pretty good at that as well!

So, kind of what JZ says SP are good for on FH, I know a few people who do powerful, slapadelic smack-shots on BH using the SP as an offensive strength rather than to cover a weakness.

I am sure you know and train people who do this and to do this as well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
They punish their opponents with powerful smack shots. Those can be pretty evil, especially when well placed. Brs is pretty good at that as well!

So, kind of what JZ says SP are good for on FH, I know a few people who do powerful, slapadelic smack-shots on BH using the SP as an offensive strength rather than to cover a weakness.

I am sure you know and train people who do this and to do this as well.
Got it, thank you

Something to share:
BH is SP.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Schlager does have funny looking strokes. But to tell a world champion like Schlager how to do a stroke, what audacity! I think people don't realize everyone plays a bit differently. It is like in tennis, people love how Federer plays but most people cannot play like Federer. Diversity is fine. At the end of the day, just as long as you serve legally and you beat the other player fair and square, I don't care what techniques you use. I mean Lin Yun-ju flipped every serve with his backhand and look at how effective he is. He must be a genius at reading the spin (but to most viewers, they probably don't know how goooood Lin yun-ju is at reading spin because Lin yun-ju makes his return of service looks so easy and effortless). And then people start saying his forehand sucks? You cannot win with some of these viewers. They will criticize everything. When you can backhand flip return other people's serves like Lin Yun-ju, you can work on your forehand later.....
I remember some years back that somebody got Schlager to comment on about.com Table Tennis Forum... and Schlager's posting history was pretty damn short... because as soon as Schlager started to talk sensible stuff on the forum, out came the 1000-1500 armchair coach champions trying to tell Schlager all manner of nonsense.

It got pretty insane in a hurry. The 1000-1500 level "experts" were actually lecturing Schlager on what to do and how to do it and disagreed strongly without basis or proof on all the foundational fundamental things Schlager was trying to articulate and assist the forum members with.

Accordingly, after such abuse, Schlager simply stopped posting.

WHY would a pro, let alone a WC subject himself to such baseless jibber jabber...

Schlager was posting simply because he loved Table Tennis and wanted to help a little and for zero cost... but the 1000-1500 expert class forum warriors chased him smooth out of the forum and he never came back.

WHY would he continue in those conditions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I remember some years back that somebody got Schlager to comment on about.com Table Tennis Forum... and Schlager's posting history was pretty damn short... because as soon as Schlager started to talk sensible stuff on the forum, out came the 1000-1500 armchair coach champions trying to tell Schlager all manner of nonsense.

It got pretty insane in a hurry. The 1000-1500 level "experts" were actually lecturing Schlager on what to do and how to do it and disagreed strongly without basis or proof on all the foundational fundamental things Schlager was trying to articulate and assist the forum members with.

WHY would a pro, let alone a WC subject himself to such baseless jibber jabber...

Schlager was posting simply because he loved Table Tennis and wanted to help a little and for zero cost... but the 1000-1500 expert class forum warriors chased him smooth out of the forum and he never came back.

I know a lot of people that can add huge value to online table tennis communities.
But, the reward does not match the effects.

With youtubers nowadays, they rather go that channel (few national players/former pros for example are becoming youtubers, but content is not in English and I was thinking of helping them with English content). They want to talk, and that is it. They are not interested to be in discussions.

But back to those that have the ability to "text" with online communities, one national player text and helped when someone asked about a certain technique, and BANG, he got corrected by... amateurs. I mean, here we have a 25 year old, that has played for 18 years, with maybe 15 years of them being 30+ hours a week, for 50 weeks a year,,,,, getting a lesson or two from a nobody....

This guy replied, "Well, that is just my experience, and that is what I will do".

The reward if any is so little. The anger is way more.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

That is so sad because Dan just did a YouTube video with Schlager and he had some pretty good points for Dan. We all know Schlager does not play like Ma Long. But who cares? He is a real world championship champion!

And at the club I am playing at, many players are older and they started playing when they were older too. Some have shoulder problems. Some have back pain or knee issues. If anyone coaching them, they need to figure out these people's limitation and give them advice that would be helpful.

For example, I played a gentleman yesterday who is about my level. Very fun. But he has knee problem. He kept on trying to practice jumping to his backhand side to do a forehand step-around loop. Eventually he had to take a break because it is too much for his knee to handle. If I were his coach, I would strengthen his backhand and tell him to forget about step-around forehand. But since we were just playing, we did not say anything.

I think the other gentleman just wanted to push his body's limit and see what he can or cannot do anyway.

As for other players with say elbow problem, then maybe they need to, early on in their development, learn how to use their wrist. I am always of the opinion that you learn to spin with forearm (so elbow), then bring your waist into the spin, then shoulder and finally the wrist. The reason is that the wrist, in terms of angle, it can be all over the place. If you don't lock your wrist earlier in your forehand top spin development then it becomes an impediment. But someone with elbow problem should probably learn to use wrist to generate spin earlier on.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The hardbat nonsense started wth Marty Reisman brainwashing the clueless. But that is an entirely different story I do not want to get into now. In fact I even love watching videos of Reisman & Miles & Sido & Pagliaro etc & Reisman's crazy antics.
I have 2 copies of the Money Player which I gave to my brother & sister as a collector's item as the price is bound to increase.
I used to play in a club called Mammoth on 38th St & 8th Ave in Manhattan in the early 1990s and every so often Marty used to show up and the place would go wild with all the top players there wanting to play him for money, making side bets, and some of them trying to negotiate point handicaps.

They would all play him on the showcase table and every time he came he seemed to walk out with an awful lot of cash in his pocket.

It was a wild circus atmosphere….almost like what happens when Der_Echte shows up to a Korean club and runs the chicken and beer hustle…..well, maybe like they on steroids.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We have transformed GM thread into a metaethical thread. Hooray, Beer!
I have been thinking about making a comment about the hijacking.

But I can remove all this at a certain point if GM wants.

Just not the stuff about calling names and personal attacks. That is specific to content on the thread.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This club was located above a strip club I believe LOL .
I played a tournament there desperately trying to break 2000 from a rating of 1960.
I lost 6 matches to 2100 to 2400 players all like deuce in the third.
Tim Boggan beat me deuce in the third.
My only bad loss was to Deepak Jain (around 2300), brother of later US team member Ashu, killed me.
My only consolation was that I destroyed a 2200 blocker (he will remain namesless as I got to know him later on) like 4 & 5 (in 21 point games).
So I ended up gaining only 10 points altogether & still did not breal 2000. Had to wait few more months.
The ceiling was low (I used to sky lob a whole lot from my forehand) & I am sure I would have won one or two more matches if not for that
I saw Marty Reisman there but he was not in my round robin group. He was still around 2100 then

The Open finals was between 1988 Olympics Gold Medalist Chen Jing who beat Olympian Micheel Hyatt I think. She flew 25 hours from another tournament in Taiwan & went right to the table. I believe she was considering moving to USA but eventually did not. I believe she was shipped out of mainland for whatever reason & I am sure China was not too happy with her winning gold for Taiwan in the Gold in first Olympics
I had a feeling you would have played in that club.

I think, below it was a Korean billiards club and below that was a night club with an edge. The people who rant the TT club also ran the billiard and the other stuff in the building.

For NYC though, it was a really nice club.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It was a wild circus atmosphere….almost like what happens when Der_Echte shows up to a Korean club and runs the chicken and beer hustle…..well, maybe like they on steroids.

Well, not nearly as wild as when the Goon Squad tries to corner you and we remotely piss all over them or drop them through the remote controlled trap door to you Krackhopuse #13 basement septic tank for a week's stay with the London sewer rats or when you lure them to your drop zone with your mini-skirt wearing assistant bending over your pile of fake H3 national rubbers...

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
This club was located above a strip club I believe LOL .
I played a tournament there desperately trying to break 2000 from a rating of 1960.
I lost 6 matches to 2100 to 2400 players all like deuce in the third.
Tim Boggan beat me deuce in the third.
My only bad loss was to Deepak Jain (around 2300), brother of later US team member Ashu, killed me.
My only consolation was that I destroyed a 2200 blocker (he will remain namesless as I got to know him later on) like 4 & 5 (in 21 point games).
So I ended up gaining only 10 points altogether & still did not breal 2000. Had to wait few more months.
The ceiling was low (I used to sky lob a whole lot from my forehand) & I am sure I would have won one or two more matches if not for that
I saw Marty Reisman there but he was not in my round robin group. He was still around 2100 then

The Open finals was between 1988 Olympics Gold Medalist Chen Jing who beat Olympian Micheel Hyatt I think. She flew 25 hours from another tournament in Taiwan & went right to the table. I believe she was considering moving to USA but eventually did not. I believe she was shipped out of mainland for whatever reason & I am sure China was not too happy with her winning gold for Taiwan in the Gold in first Olympics
Lol, Chen Jing was like, what? Coming to the US, I have to become a stripper? She then cancelled her plan after that. :)

• Haha
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I have been thinking about making a comment about the hijacking.

But I can remove all this at a certain point if GM wants.

Just not the stuff about calling names and personal attacks. That is specific to content on the thread.

Branch/split to another thread would be good - if possible. If not, it would be good feature for admins. Removing doesn't feel encouraging for further posting ... so, until then... ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Branch/split to another thread would be good - if possible. If not, it would be good feature for admins. Removing doesn't feel encouraging for further posting ... so, until then... ;-)

Dan once merge my thread with another.
so I know merging was possible many years ago. Not sure if the new version has it or if Carl has that rights.
Spliting would be cool (thinking of splitting trolls out)

But back to OP, GM has been quiet.
he was very pissed when he last spoke, and I'm guessing if he came back and saw what has become of his "training tread".... hm... he would be.... hm... what is the right word to use?

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
so I know merging was possible many years ago. Not sure if the new version has it or if Carl has that rights.

he was very pissed when he last spoke, and I'm guessing if he came back and saw what has become of his "training tread".... hm... he would be.... hm... what is the right word to use?

You're right, removing our BS is 2nd best option.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Here is a suggestion: How about also merge Michael Zhuang aka Tensorbackhand many many little EJ'ing thread into one single mega thread and name it: Michael's EJ guide to EJ'ing.

That is a thought.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am not sure, can I take the unrelated content and move it to a new thread?

You tell me? :)
I did have to lobby for a while to get the "Merge Thread" option added to the new site. But it came with several other nice benefits.