Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
No, you aren't, but why don't you participate in big events or even some events in Europe so we want to see you playing against Dima or Feritas or even Apolonia? forget about Ma Long that he didn't want to be in footage, but those Europeans players are willing to be in footage, so do one with them ;-) :D

1375728723_picard-facepalm.jpg

I'm pretty sure that comment Tareq was responding to was completely lost on him.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good point, then i will do that as you asked, not a problem then, hope soon when i arrange with my friend and preparing my dust cameras.

Well, if you get and post video footage, I for one will give you props just for posting it. I can't wait to see how good you've gotten.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ahahahahahaaa!
[Emoji23]
Made my day!
Pls get well soon.

You know what the funniest part of those photos is: I took them and I was looking at them.

86acba5e7d1e892373e1217644a1176f.jpg

81d8af0c7501a4417e057abe213418f3.jpg

And, on the train, looking at the photo, I thought that it was a woman because of the tight pants and flip flops sandals. But I looked up and saw it was a man. Hahaha.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, I was going to comment on that when I first saw it.

Is that the kind of shit you see on the N.Y subway? ;)

At this time of year, usually not. But he seemed pretty comfortable. I don't think he cared much what everyone else thought. And if he was warm enough, what the heck. He is free to dress however he wants.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
See, the nice thing to know is that, based on video evidence, Tareq has rated himself squarely between 2400-2600 USATT rating.

Mark and Mishel are fairly high level amateur players.

Anyone want to guess the levels of Philippe and Rich from that second video?

You say Phillipe and Rich and can see official ratings of around USATT 2200, but what you don't see are those guys are pros at maintaining that rating and playing at 2400+ level deep into tourneys.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Boogar, i thought you were in Switzerland ! well against NL, i just watched a little, and its hard to say, but its enough to see the difference level...

Around 2minutes, you do a good long serve, a decent BH but the ball goes long on your FH and you cannot reach it: you have to be able to play more shots in a row.
Just after that, you miss a FH block from a decent attack of NL but not a 100% shot from his side.
And then i saw you push a long ball with your FH instead of attacking, another push comes back, this time you try to push with your BH but it goes in the net.

NL is dominating with his BH, especially the diagonal, he is consistent, his ball is spinny. He has good long serves. He wins rallies so it was a good tactic for him.

I've "analysed" a bit NL game before, I think his main weakness is his FH because of his knee problems. He plays standing too much (especially the upper body) and has trouble moving. On the BH side its less of a handicap than the FH. You have to lower your body to play against backspin, so if you can push agressively with backspin on his wide FH he will be more in trouble.

Serve short with sidespin on the side of the table both on the FH and BH side to force him to move more. or serve long with (more or less) backspin to his FH. yes NL has power with his FH, but he makes more mistakes there, and if you can block / counter his FH into his BH then it could be a winning tactic.

But the mistake not to do is let him play in the BH diagonal where he is comfortable.

I wonder how NL is doing against long pip choppers. It must be difficult against a good one.

Anyway Boog

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I wonder how NL is doing against long pip choppers. It must be difficult against a good one.

Anyway Boog

I play pips at the same level that I play inverted, including LP choppers. It takes a higher rated chopper to chop at a speed that makes me uncomfortable and I can play choppers with my backhand as well as my forehand, something many of them are not used to.

Yes my wide forehand is one of my weaknessess, though it is a standard weakness for many players and I do a good job of looping slow pushes there. Good luck finding it with a fast push though...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Boogar, i thought you were in Switzerland ! well against NL, i just watched a little, and its hard to say, but its enough to see the difference level...

Around 2minutes, you do a good long serve, a decent BH but the ball goes long on your FH and you cannot reach it: you have to be able to play more shots in a row.
Just after that, you miss a FH block from a decent attack of NL but not a 100% shot from his side.
And then i saw you push a long ball with your FH instead of attacking, another push comes back, this time you try to push with your BH but it goes in the net.

NL is dominating with his BH, especially the diagonal, he is consistent, his ball is spinny. He has good long serves. He wins rallies so it was a good tactic for him.

I've "analysed" a bit NL game before, I think his main weakness is his FH because of his knee problems. He plays standing too much (especially the upper body) and has trouble moving. On the BH side its less of a handicap than the FH. You have to lower your body to play against backspin, so if you can push agressively with backspin on his wide FH he will be more in trouble.

Serve short with sidespin on the side of the table both on the FH and BH side to force him to move more. or serve long with (more or less) backspin to his FH. yes NL has power with his FH, but he makes more mistakes there, and if you can block / counter his FH into his BH then it could be a winning tactic.

But the mistake not to do is let him play in the BH diagonal where he is comfortable.

Anyway Boog

Thanks for the analysis ;) this match was plaxed about 5 months ago when i was visiting the US.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
The nice thing about looping an underspin ball is that you usually have more time than with topspin because chops and pushes can't be brought down onto the table with spin. Advanced choppers can push the boundaries with this and chop back pretty dadgum fast. Then you don't have as much time to get low and drop your paddle to get the head speed needed to aggressively loop their chop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The nice thing about looping an underspin ball is that you usually have more time than with topspin because chops and pushes can't be brought down onto the table with spin. Advanced choppers can push the boundaries with this and chop back pretty dadgum fast. Then you don't have as much time to get low and drop your paddle to get the head speed needed to aggressively loop their chop.

Yes, the time to get into position and loop is critical. Also important is the ball height as balls that stay low through the flight onto the table are harder to read and also have less margin for error when you loop them as you have to determine the spin and then get the ball to dip sufficiently onto the other side.

This user has no status.
So a fast, low trajectory, pretty flat chop is much more difficult to loop than a slower, more curved dropping chop?

Much more difficult. I love slow pushes because I'm about 95% consistent on looping them, but that drops to about 30% when someone is pushing darts at me. Higher chops can be hit with a loopdrive, while lower chops/pushes need a brush loop to consistently land. If you can magically find a good playing partner, serve them underspin and ask them to vary the speed of their push :)

says what [IMG]
In my current experience with learning a better forehand, it's difficult to learn to go in to loop everything. Let alone with a real banging swing.

Drills help, self hitting pivots help, forcing yourself to pivot in matches helps. It's just difficult and I think it needs to "click".

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder