Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says what [IMG]
Doing a lot of challenging things will get you used to losing and screwing up pretty fast. If you keep trying challenging things, losing and failing will be the norm, so it's meaning changes. Loss changes from a negative thing to just an unavoidable happening, a means to an end.

I'm pretty sure that if you challenge yourself a lot, your brain functions radically differently as opposed to someone who doesn't fail and only tries easy things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Doing a lot of challenging things will get you used to losing and screwing up pretty fast. If you keep trying challenging things, losing and failing will be the norm, so it's meaning changes. Loss changes from a negative thing to just an unavoidable happening, a means to an end.

I'm pretty sure that if you challenge yourself a lot, your brain functions radically differently as opposed to someone who doesn't fail and only tries easy things.

^^^

WISDOM!!!!

get out of comfort zone, don't only do things one feels 'good' or 'easy to do' ... if one is to grow/improve ... do stuff one is 'not good' at ... prepare to be humbled, have no Ego, "Just Do It!" ...

applying to tt, if one's game is fh-oriented, add in more bh, if loop-oriented, throw in some defensive or smashes or pushes

mix it up, get out of comfort zone - play a different style!

i hit a wall, due to 30+ yrs layoff, probably may never get back to my consistency of ages ago... mixing it up by trying SH as well as modern PH.

Feel the fear and do it anyway (Susan Jeffer's book title - good quote too)

Feel shy talking to opposite sex, go out and do it. Feel bad with your complementary hand, ignore dominant hand and work with your complementary hand for a bit.

Scared of bungee jumping, yeah, avoid bungee jumping then, it's too dangerours ;-) LOL

The Road to Success is Paved with Failure.

The Key is to analyze the Failures/Losses and take something from it to tweak your Game and look to improve off of that loss.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Does anybody have an idea for league play at our table tennis club?

Some players have expressed interests in having a league. But I'm thinking, how do you run a league where people sometimes show up to play & sometimes don't.

We could do an individual league but honestly that's probably not going to be that exciting. Everybody kinda knows who the top players are 1-4. Sometimes they show. Sometimes they don't.

So I'm thinking some team drafting thing would be fun. Would it be you win more points for challenging someone & winning and very little positive points even in losses? I figure there's got to be some incentive for players showing up to play, even if they lose, compared to players who never make it to club.

Anybody have ideas or do something similar at your club?

I like individual league format our club runs:

* League director is responsible for creating match-ups and maintaining the queue. It translates into :" Bob, you now play Jim on Table 6" (we have 6 tables).
* Main principle is that matched players are close in level, so 1400 does not play 2200.
* You can show up and leave any time during the league night. Can play 7 matches or one. Great in a city with traffic problems.
* Matches count for USATT League rating.

People are participating (IMHO) not to find out who is the top player - instead it is a great opportunity to practice competitive matches against players close to you in skill. You also get to track your progress, rating-wise.

It's been going for almost 2 years, and I hope it continues.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LOL about OSPH advice regarding bungee jumping...:D

Planning a few days stay in Arlington, VA to visit Washington DC this coming week. Anybody have table tennis venues to recommend there?

NoVA TTC Chantilly, Smash TTC Herndon are near Dulles airport. Smash has league Tues/Fri. Chantilly has a Sat league, 2000ish players on half the nights, Mon/Wed good nights.

WDCTT is closer in distance, but the traffic...

Then even more traffic, MDTTC.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says what [IMG]
Currently at my school. I played a bit earlier. Helped a newbie with his forehand. I fed him light topspin and instructed him.

He didn't trust the ball to go over the net without opening his angle, and his legs and hip turn were very bad. I corrected all of those to some degree and he made two very distinctly different, good swings. He hit the ball a lot off the end and missed, but it's ok, slowly it corrected itself. He thanked me for the help.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
LOL about OSPH advice regarding bungee jumping...:D

Planning a few days stay in Arlington, VA to visit Washington DC this coming week. Anybody have table tennis venues to recommend there?
I am actually leaving the DC area today after having been here since Sunday. I went to meet up with friends drom TTEdge at WDTTC. Couldn't play as much as I would have liked with my arthritis but still played a decent amount. Played a young Chinese footwork and forehand guy who had one of the most stunning pivot motions I have seen... my forehand block wasnt working well enough to win that one since i could not move on my right knee. If some one could magically heal my arthritis I can see evidence of strong play.

Did a little coaching based on things my friends asked for snd things I saw during the matches I played against them. Both of them are going to break 2100 easily when they get two winged close to the table games. But neitherreally has the power to do it backing up which they do way too often.

Didn't play Charlene this time (should have) but played her husband. He has clearly slowed down but two winged opening is hard to shut down if your style was developed in an era when you could relax if someone didnt have the time or footwork to pivot and when your best shot is your pivot.

says what [IMG]
I'm back, played some more games. It is now completely natural for me to be much lower than before on the serve and serve receive: and I've finally found the posture and stance that feels good and works. I was tensing my back and taxing my joints too much before.

I made a conscious effort to lean more forward and keep on my soles, and my forehand feels more "connected" in the movement. I'm still doing some kind of uncomfortable back movement and straightening of the body posture when I swing, but I can control it better now. Things are getting simpler and smoother.

We will see on tape if anything has really changed, when my usual partner comes back.

Carl,

When chatting with Thomas last night, he mentioned "Wally" as a coach at SPIN. Do you know him? Back in the 1980's, he was a 2000-2200 oldschool PH pips attacker. A few members at Lost Battalion mentioned through the years Wally showed up, but past few years, he hasn't.

Ahhh, I know which "Wally" you guys are referring to! He is not WG! Indeed a SP "relentless" PH attacker. He was playing about 2050-2200 when he used to go to LBH. I think he is in one of my vids, not sure which one...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ahhh, I know which "Wally" you guys are referring to! He is not WG! Indeed a SP "relentless" PH attacker. He was playing about 2050-2200 when he used to go to LBH. I think he is in one of my vids, not sure which one...

Very cool PPH!

Both Sam (a SH who shows up on Tuesdays with a JPen friend - am sure you know both as well as played) and M2 told me Wally used to go to LBH. He should be in his late 50's or 60 by now - a few yrs older than me. Was fun to watch him play back at the old Chinatown club!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
went to the club and played quite a few games. apart from beating a beginner, its only defeats here, but my level is better than last week. The first guy i just arrived at the table without any warm up, agressive short pips PH, and i never won against him anyway, he beat me 3-0 straight but i had my chance leading 10-6 in the second. He wanted to do a second match, i was not very motivated because i felt i had little chance and indeed i lost 0-3 with worse scores.

i immediately played again against a player roughly my level, i think i should beat him but he won 12-10 in the 3rd set (best of 3).

Then i played the usual LP PH, who is like 200-300 points above me, and i have never beaten, but today was my best performance against him. i won the first 2, the first he was not playing 100% yet, the second he gave away 3 serves, so 2-0 lead, the 3rd i started to get stressed and he got easily, in the 4th he got a good start, i tried to come back but lost 9-11. in the 5th he was always ahead. In the money time i manage to make some good strong 3rd ball attack winners, and come back from 8-10 to 10 all, but he's got a lucky rally to get at 11-10 (but there was a lot of luck in my favor throughout the match as well, on the balance it's even), and match point i miss my 3rd ball attack.

in the first 2 sets, my BH controlled attacks was causing him a lot of problems, thats why he started playing more on my FH from the 3rd set, because i was winning the rallies. To stay in the game i had to be more agressive after the serve, and switch my receives more on his FH.

Then i played a young attacker for the 1st time. i didn't know about his level. i managed to scrape the 1st set 12-10, but then he played much better, 11-2, 11-6 for him. I fought and stayed positive, and tried to serve and receive better. He started to make more mistakes, and i got 11-9 the 4th, but i lost 9-11 in the 5th.

Today, staying positive, and focused is really what could have made a difference. if i think always "i have to put a lot of much spin in this serve" or "i have to be careful about his long serve" thats when i make mistakes. instead i have to think "im going to attack immediately with my BH after this serve" or "i'll do a FH after this receive" to not make mistakes and then "i'll always reposition myself". When i'm nervous, and i'm not fighting it, i'll have the first kind of thoughts, and I'll lose points either with a mistake or getting stuck and not moving after my stroke. It happened so many times today. I was not mentally strong on 100% on points and in all those tight games it cost me a lot as i lost 3 matches today in the decider with the tightest margin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So this might seem fairly obvious but it's something I've never put into practice before... Until now.

We all kinda have a couple of go-to points we like. Setups where we've played it a million times and it simply fits into what we like to do. I've always felt that I play best vs someone not when I'm on or on fire (although those moments are nice), it's when I have simply figured out a formula vs X player. I know they're weak at this spot or don't handle this well so I maximize that.

Anyways, from experttabletennis.com Ben has a PDF playbook thing you can get where you mark out points in how you like them to play. Yes it might seem nerdy but I like that type of stuff. Plus I think it's really useful. Well I've always mapped out service points. For some reason I don't think I've ever had a definitive plan in what I'm shooting to do in service receive. I always kinda make it up as I go. Being a pips player who likes the tricky & weird, I can't afford to just "put it in play" and get into a hitting war with duel inverted players. That plays right into what they want.

So I'm changing that now. In the playbook I have mapped out if serve is here & backspin, mostly look to do this (and of course there are a couple of alternative options in there also just for the occasional mixup).

I'm curious if any of you have set plans or ideas you like to achieve in service receive in addition to service? I think it's a useful tool. I know some players at our club who are solid players who often times just put the ball in play and like to get into the rally. So for those players, I'm not sure how much thought they put into planning.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ready for lolz CCers ?!?!?!?

As mentioned in a previous post, 42&bp and I met up this past Sunday with our old 1980's TT crew. Played in a friend's basement ... 42&bp didn't like the Double Fish table and the concrete floor ... I just played regardless of the conditions since my game is bad anyway ... it was only my 3rd time playing since i took a few months off to recuperate from shoulder achiness as well as 3rd time using a new racket.

Like my nick says, I play an oldschool one-sided PH game but am trying SH a little as well as the modern PH style to break through the wall that i hit. I lack consistency, shots I make one point, i will miss the same shot the next point.

------------------------------------------

OSPH in black
, 42andbackpains in red

1) Warmup highlights
- edited fluff out 2m23s - please forgive the background chatter from our friends

2) Match highlights 0m42s

42&bp has a wicked fast FH loop ... his BH loops are powerful.

3) Full match - edited fluff out 4m12s - WARNING - really cringeworthy to watch so many misses from the both of us. Can skip and just watch the above match highlights vid

----------------------------------

REFLECTIONS/OBSERVATIONS/COMMENTS

1) I misunderstood NextLevel's whip mechanics on serve ... 42&bp clued me in on the ride home. I was emphasizing the retract whip motion and not focusing on the whip forward motion ... ironic as I used to serve with the forward whip motion/snap and upon learning of whip mechanics, i messed myself up due to misunderstanding.

2) My SH BH and RPB motion is circular as pointed out to me quite a few times that day from 42&bp ... somehow in my pea brain, i have it that i have to close the racket after impact to guide the trajectory back lower

3) Trying to consciously shorten my swing and not get my shoulder too into it - failed miserably at times.

4) Did not want to try the modern PH style because 1) felt the blades i had combined with 2 inverted sheets were too heavy and hurt my wrist and 2) I wanted to 'get my old game' back to a consistent level before trying new things.

2 reasons why I'm trying the modern PH style ... found the American Hinoki CPen to be fairly light even with the 2 Tenergy on as well as hitting a wall and trying new things to break through.

5) LOL at my SH grip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will see if i have time to compile my warmups with the other partners of that day.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
NoVA TTC Chantilly, Smash TTC Herndon are near Dulles airport. Smash has league Tues/Fri. Chantilly has a Sat league, 2000ish players on half the nights, Mon/Wed good nights.

WDCTT is closer in distance, but the traffic...

Then even more traffic, MDTTC.

Thanks for the info, Der. I will for sure play somewhere, as I am used to playing almost every day 2 or 3 hours...and a whole week without would be tough! My wife will be accompanying me; she is beginner-ish level...under 1000, but I want her to get some outside experience, so will have to accommodate that in timing a club visit. Travel for us will be metro, bus or uber/taxi. Flying tomorrow.

says what [IMG]
@suds79

I mostly play weaker players and I'm not so good myself, so I'm not sure how much this applies, but in serve receive, I figure out what my opponent doesn't like and what wins me points, and what he is trying to do on his serve that wins him points, and avoid that.

For example one of the people I play will usually give a weak backhand shot to a receive placed to his backhand corner, and he will have a bad wide forehand after that.

He will serve me short side/top backhand tomahawk from his backhand corner into my middle/forehand to try to get a middle popup. I'll get in close and angle my racket so that my push hits his backhand corner, get a weak shot and then loop it with sidespin towards his forehand. An alternative is to forehand flip it with sidespin towards his backhand, if the serve is a bit weak. He wants me to push or flip it to his middle and the spin works to do that, so I'll try to get it to his backhand.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense to any over 1200 game, but I can imagine that at all levels, your opponents are gonna try to serve you the spins that help them do what they want, and you're gonna want to play against those intentions. Maybe if someone is really solid and balance, it doesn't work this way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Today, staying positive, and focused is really what could have made a difference. if i think always "i have to put a lot of much spin in this serve" or "i have to be careful about his long serve" thats when i make mistakes. instead i have to think "im going to attack immediately with my BH after this serve" or "i'll do a FH after this receive" to not make mistakes and then "i'll always reposition myself". When i'm nervous, and i'm not fighting it, i'll have the first kind of thoughts, and I'll lose points either with a mistake or getting stuck and not moving after my stroke. It happened so many times today. I was not mentally strong on 100% on points and in all those tight games it cost me a lot as i lost 3 matches today in the decider with the tightest margin

Josh Waitzkin wrote a book called "The Art of Learning" - in it he calls what happened "The Downward Spiral" ... basically focusing on all the negative and getting stuck and continuing to dwell on it and spiraling down more and more.

It is important to regain one's clarity of mind after a mistake. It is clear you know this, now it's a matter of making it a habit of not staying in the downward spiral.

So despite the losses, you learned something about yourself and can use it to improve your game the next time :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Great Videos OSPH , the shorter version could not satisfy me so I ended up watching up the longer once . Both of you are good players , I can't tell about the level of 42 and backpains , but in the videos he was playing close to 1900 level is what I felt , and since you took a game from him there is no way you are 1200 my friend :) ...

Since you did put some observations on yourself , I will try to put forth my 2 cents :

your stance to receive serve is too side on and forehand oriented for playing RPB or SH , I actually liked your shake hand but felt your grip had your index finger too far up on the blade and was making it difficult for you to hit BHs.

and .. 42 and Back pains is right , on the backhand SH or RPB your hands are falling down and then coming up and then you are trying to compensate it by closing the angle too quickly which is resulting in you hitting the net , at least thats what I saw , I am sure others will have better advise ... but I still want you to play SH my friend :)