Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
With the Next Level issued 3rd nickname of High Toss Servey Bastardo, it would take Mr. MaGoo as an umpire for Der_Echte to be called for a short serve toss that is too short.

Sergeys serves are clean... what is difficult as a receiver is his subtle variation.

I have become a LOT better at receiving Scoobies serves. A year ago, I was pushing them all. Around then, I made a commitment to read serves better, learn touch better, and get better and stepping in for the flick.

I have improved in all those areas a ton.

Now, as it is painfully obvious, I am working on dealing with the next ball once Sergey handles all those options. It isnt as simple as it would seem.

Getting past the first ball was relatively easy to adjust... if you call a year easy. Reading how an opponent successfully copes with your response and making another pressure shot (then down the road another to position self to finish) is a whole new level of effort.

This kind of middle game development will carry me the next couple levels. I have strong offensive shots when ready balanced in position.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Fruitloop, you would be surprised at how many men who are 2400+ who don't even find women's TT interesting or watchable. Not saying Lula is one of them, but that you shouldn't be surprised if a high level Male player has little interest in women's TT. In fact you should be pleasantly surprised if they are current on women's TT.

I am not actually surprised at him not watching, it was the not heard of part.

For my own sins I follow tennis passionately, but only men's tennis. I watch the women's too, but only in passing or in grand slam latter stages for example. The quality is just way lower and not as entertaining for me. I don't find this to be true for women's TT at all. If anything it's more entertaining.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am not actually surprised at him not watching, it was the not heard of part.

For my own sins I follow tennis passionately, but only men's tennis. I watch the women's too, but only in passing or in grand slam latter stages for example. The quality is just way lower and not as entertaining for me. I don't find this to be true for women's TT at all. If anything it's more entertaining.

I think it in part might reflect your experience and ability with both sports but I could be wrong. Thanks for the clarification though. BTW, I enjoy watching women's TT as well

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
The great J-O's club is arranging evening training sessions for adult amateurs during the Swedish winter break. This is a new concept that they're piloting. They had three coaches and one or two divison 1 (3rd tier league) players for sparring. Some got to do multi ball and some got to do drills with the divison 1 players.

Probably the best training session since I started to train in a more serious fashion. The division 1 player (I believe he was Russian or Ukranian) got to act as the blocker during a "half falkenberg" and he was like a bloody wall. Normally I'm quite happy if I manage to do 30 balls with no interruptions but this time I stopped counting after 200 even though I looped at quite high effort. Extremely exhausting but very very useful. One of the coaches stepped in every 5-10 minutes correcting (shortening) my loop which did wonders. 45 minutes of this drill didn't really help when it was time for top table :D

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think more and more clubs realise they can make money from adult training. It is also good that you can try to develope your tabletennis when you are older aswell.

I had the third adult training tonight. Very fun. The only downside is that it is more boring to coach kids becuase i compare them to the adults.

Do not watch so much tabletennis at all at youtube. Or not so much of the pros. I find instructional videos more interesting, fun to hear how other people explain stuff. Also like to watch players with other euipment that do not play like everyone else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
How you explain stuff matters a lot especially if you're dealing with someone who is not mega gifted.

A recent example is that my Yugoslav sensei has been at me in regards to my second loop. The first one is usually quite good but the second one in match play usually is a disaster. She's been explaining it as that I have to go forward more after the initial loop. Some weeks ago I attended one of the training camps which was run by Marcus Sjöberg and he simply said "your loop is quite good but you need to shift your centre of gravity after the initial stroke". Maybe the same message using different words but the last instruction has helped me a lot in my consistency. I usually have to combine the message of 2-3 coaches before I fully understand the message.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
My first coach, over 70 now probably, is still active, though a long way away.

I do my best and train hard, and have a few other players sharing focus and keeping each one another on our toes.

Every now and then I meet up with my old coach of four decades ago. He’ll be quiet for a few moments, then observe a major impediment in one or two words which immediately open or reinforce something for me, and make me work my ass off immediately. A shockwave that lasts for weeks, set up by a few looks and frowns and a word and a half. I utterly trust and respect that man and become putty in his hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
I think more and more clubs realise they can make money from adult training. It is also good that you can try to develope your tabletennis when you are older aswell.

I had the third adult training tonight. Very fun. The only downside is that it is more boring to coach kids becuase i compare them to the adults.

Do not watch so much tabletennis at all at youtube. Or not so much of the pros. I find instructional videos more interesting, fun to hear how other people explain stuff. Also like to watch players with other euipment that do not play like everyone else.

There are lots of advantages. Adults have disposable income and are generally willing to spend lots if they see the value. There is generally a gap between juniors and veterans playing where there are very few adults. Filling this gap will encourage more juniors to keep playing and not drop out of the sport. Finally it does more than almost anything else to build a sustainable community. Adults are useful. They volunteer and organise stuff. You want people to attend league matches? Better have a large adult community around! Need income to support coaching elite juniors or paying foreign coaches or getting strong league players to play top league games. Adults give you that income. Need people to umpire as set up for an international tournament at your club? Hope you have a good community of adults around.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
How you explain stuff matters a lot especially if you're dealing with someone who is not mega gifted.

A recent example is that my Yugoslav sensei has been at me in regards to my second loop. The first one is usually quite good but the second one in match play usually is a disaster. She's been explaining it as that I have to go forward more after the initial loop. Some weeks ago I attended one of the training camps which was run by Marcus Sjöberg and he simply said "your loop is quite good but you need to shift your centre of gravity after the initial stroke". Maybe the same message using different words but the last instruction has helped me a lot in my consistency. I usually have to combine the message of 2-3 coaches before I fully understand the message.

a bit the same here. I get info from many different coaches. I would like to stick mainly to 1 coach but the problem is their availability (its an online reservation system - you have to book well in advance and the good coaches are busy and so am I, their availability doesn't always match mine)

I take 1:1 lessons and 1 or 2H are quickly over. Whatever the coach says it takes time to digest, and anyway you have to try to apply by yourself again to try to understand what they mean. And even if you understand what he says, its not like its magic and instantly you'd be able to implement it. You need a lot of training to use all their advices and only through training they have a full (sometimes new) meaning .

Unfortunately adults learn more slowly than teens or children

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Had a weird league night. Dominated all the players in table 2, and up 2-1 10-7, I serve a dead ball to get a popup on my short FH side... it hit edge. Opponent gets two nets/edges to deuce and wins, then gets the match.

Sergey saw the serve comments and giggled. If any of you face him, he looks and plays like he does on the video, but very little gets by him, he is always getting to the ball and controls it, often difficult touch to read. many players are real tempted to go apes on first chance, but they always fail.

This user has no status.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0foyQi_iw&list=PL1xHYZmEaJtR7iQeOK7ybytj1ByTzbxEI&index=4

Playlist of the elimination matches that Robert Gardos played at Westchester TT club. There are edited versions of the finals and semifinals elsewhere on youtube, but not of the R16 and the QF AFAIK.

Enjoyed seeing it from this angle. Very good angle to observe.

I think my favourite was seeing what a perennial top 50 pro player can do to a player just below pro level in that quarter final. Semi final was also very close, who was his opponent? He must be one of the best players in the US?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Gunna conduct my first officially (paid) coaching session for an adult player. Possible I end up coaching more.

I will have a different approach and will get results... or I do not deserve to accept money for no progress.

This will become a source of future posts about all kinds of great discussion like:

- Strategic developmental decisions
- Prioritization
- Adaptability
- Paths
- Approaches to technique
- Skill assessment
- Decisions about what to train on (kinda tied to the first one)

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Gunna conduct my first officially (paid) coaching session for an adult player. Possible I end up coaching more.

I will have a different approach and will get results... or I do not deserve to accept money for no progress.

This will become a source of future posts about all kinds of great discussion like:

- Strategic developmental decisions
- Prioritization
- Adaptability
- Paths
- Approaches to technique
- Skill assessment
- Decisions about what to train on (kinda tied to the first one)

I recommend a good amount of the time devoted to game simulation drills with a particular goal like:

1) attack third ball.
2) read spin on third ball and respond to it intelligently.
3) keep ball on the table in the face of random placement.
4) go for wide angles on attacks.
etc.

If a lot of the work you do with the person is getting them to develop specific game skills in the course of drills that simulate game play, the person will improve much faster even if he does not look like he is developing the classic strokes.

And the good news for you is, you won't have to try and do those drills where the person does hundreds of loops while you block it back to the same place. But, those actually are helpful for something too. Not everything. But something: consistency.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Call me childish .. but the first one cracked me up Carl ... well if anybody can do it Der_Echte can !!

I recommend a good amount of the time devoted to game simulation drills with a particular goal like:

1) attach third ball.
2) read spin on third ball and respond to it intelligently.
3) keep ball on the table in the face of random placement.
4) go for wide angles on attacks.
etc.

If a lot of the work you do with the person is getting them to develop specific game skills in the course of drills that simulate game play, the person will improve much faster even if he does not look like he is developing the classic strokes.

And the good news for you is, you won't have to try and do those drills where the person does hundreds of loops while you block it back to the same place. But, those actually are helpful for something too. Not everything. But something: consistency.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Call me childish .. but the first one cracked me up Carl ... well if anybody can do it Der_Echte can !!

Oh yeah he can. But your post also made me realize that I wrote: attach third ball. ATTACK. Don't attach third ball. But do attack it. :)

Truthfully, attack the serve should be on there. But Der has some other tricks like, how to push the ball and vary the spin to fool the opponent. Those would also help a person's play skills go way up. Worth including those. But, I have a feeling, grip pressure will be all over Der's TT coaching. So...... :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
still laughing but you got it right the 2nd time , the one thing that guy is not going to forget is "GRIP PRESSURE" ... lol
Oh yeah he can. But your post also made me realize that I wrote: attach third ball. ATTACK. Don't attach third ball. But do attack it. :)

Truthfully, attack the serve should be on there. But Der has some other tricks like, how to push the ball and vary the spin to fool the opponent. Those would also help a person's play skills go way up. Worth including those. But, I have a feeling, grip pressure will be all over Der's TT coaching. So...... :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
still laughing but you got it right the 2nd time , the one thing that guy is not going to forget is "GRIP PRESSURE" ... lol

First time NL and Der met, they talked for about an hour about grip pressure.

Reactions: ttmonster