Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Our new chinese coach learn us how to move. I have always learned to move first then hit, But this is to slow he means. Only for low level players.

So yesterday i learned how to move and hit at the same time with forehand and backhand. We also Did the crosstep with backhand again! Asked if anyone Did it with the backhand. He Said Xu xin Did it. Also learned a new way to move around and play fh from the bh.

I have always understood that the asians focus more than us o men footwork But i find it interesting that i have not heard about this and i have played for over 20 years.

Have anyone else heard about this?

Would like to explain for you But hard to Do in text. I have not either mastered it.

There is a video with a Canadian pro where he discusses it in both directions. He kind of confuses it but it existed as s video.

By the way, TTEdge talks about the hit and move thing a lot and says it is one of those disconnects between how people actually play and how they are taught to play. The thing is that the only footwork that will help you is footwork which you can use when you don't know where the ball is going which is usually cross or semi-cross footwork. The move then hit will usually lead to not being able to get to wide balls in matches.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Our new chinese coach learn us how to move. I have always learned to move first then hit, But this is to slow he means. Only for low level players.

So yesterday i learned how to move and hit at the same time with forehand and backhand. We also Did the crosstep with backhand again! Asked if anyone Did it with the backhand. He Said Xu xin Did it. Also learned a new way to move around and play fh from the bh.

I have always understood that the asians focus more than us o men footwork But i find it interesting that i have not heard about this and i have played for over 20 years.

Have anyone else heard about this?

Would like to explain for you But hard to Do in text. I have not either mastered it.

Sir, perhaps make a video of yourself doing it? Picture/video is worth a thousand words as they say.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm being taught some steps to move together while hitting yes. not in every situation but in some situations

To be honest TTEDGE always teaches to backswing while moving and focuses on footwork which you use when you don't know where the ball is going so mostly cross and semi cross footwork.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
With cross do you mean crossstep? This was not only crossstep. Crossstep i think you do not you so often, only when you need to move really far. I also do not understand what you mean with a semicross.

I can try to film it in the future if i get the hang of it. Like i said it was completely new to me. Have never heard or seen it before. But is almost like when you do the shuffle step or what it is called but with some alterations. Do not think europeans move the way he teached us, but maybe i see it and we do it but we do not know it.

I searched for youtube and did find chinese footwork that they showed footwork of the chinese at a danish training camp, but the stuff our coach showed us they did not show in the video.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
To be honest TTEDGE always teaches to backswing while moving and focuses on footwork which you use when you don't know where the ball is going so mostly cross and semi cross footwork.

I don't think I get what you're saying here. If I incorporate the backswing in my movement, I'm already committed to a particular hitting wing, at least, that's what I think.

And that's why I (hauling about a degenerate near-corpse) have been focusing on a fluid movement, in which taking position, hitting the ball and returning to neutrality (as far as possible) are one. The key thing there is going neutral, well, in practices it's taking position without too much of a bias at best in most cases; with low stance, forward balance, and the bat raised.

All this happens on a hop by hop basis. When serving, ball throw coincides with a left foot stepout; immediately after ball contact, explosive left foot push to neutral position. When receiving, start hopping into neutral following the server tightly. Then in either case, hop to strike position, and from the strike reset and hop back towards neutral simultaneously, then hop towards strike again. For me, the backswing (if any) takes place on the second hop (unless I have to crossover towards striking position, in which case the backswing is part of the second stage of the two-staged crossover step).

(I actually do this when fit and focused, and will have to accept that I will not be able to keep this going for multiple successive matches without a little recovery time inbetween. Getting old sucks.)

Is preparing the stroke on the second hop (out of neutral) what you mean?

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Went 0-3 loss to Scoobie Doo, who wants to be known as TSOS (pronounced So Se but in one sound) (Like Sauce, but with an O sound)

That 0-3 loss was like a 3-1 win vs other opponents. Made SO MANY better combinations of attacks 5-6 consecutive strong ones to different parts of table... pounded my landing zones, but Sergey Tsos is just capable. My feet or knees/waist lost me those points where I failed on my 7th attack. Flips were there, finally slowed down my flip and got my right foot back, so I could pound the return that is gunna come back.

Finally was able to open with a fast loop on BH to the BH or body or wide FH open zones. Was a reliable shot for once. Being ready and knees bent at his impact helped. My technical ability on BH wing is very good, but when I am expecting something else or am crappy in getting a decent crouch, I will hit like a 1500 level player... short game consistent... but what good does that do me vs him? not much... but vs other players I will face in Comps... priceless prep.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't think I get what you're saying here. If I incorporate the backswing in my movement, I'm already committed to a particular hitting wing, at least, that's what I think.

And that's why I (hauling about a degenerate near-corpse) have been focusing on a fluid movement, in which taking position, hitting the ball and returning to neutrality (as far as possible) are one. The key thing there is going neutral, well, in practices it's taking position without too much of a bias at best in most cases; with low stance, forward balance, and the bat raised.

All this happens on a hop by hop basis. When serving, ball throw coincides with a left foot stepout; immediately after ball contact, explosive left foot push to neutral position. When receiving, start hopping into neutral following the server tightly. Then in either case, hop to strike position, and from the strike reset and hop back towards neutral simultaneously, then hop towards strike again. For me, the backswing (if any) takes place on the second hop (unless I have to crossover towards striking position, in which case the backswing is part of the second stage of the two-staged crossover step).

(I actually do this when fit and focused, and will have to accept that I will not be able to keep this going for multiple successive matches without a little recovery time inbetween. Getting old sucks.)

Is preparing the stroke on the second hop (out of neutral) what you mean?

If you are late to a ball you are already committing to a particular hitting wing. The issue is not what happens in drills where you know where the ball is going. The issue is what happens when you are surprised by a ball or a ball is played to your middle. If you need to move then backswing, you will be late to the ball. In any case, for whatever reason, players who often say one thing may do something very different when videotaped. In some cases, people figure this out in matches but don't always come up with optimal solutions.

I am a learning adult with crappy knees so take my comments with some skepticism.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
With cross do you mean crossstep? This was not only crossstep. Crossstep i think you do not you so often, only when you need to move really far. I also do not understand what you mean with a semicross.

I can try to film it in the future if i get the hang of it. Like i said it was completely new to me. Have never heard or seen it before. But is almost like when you do the shuffle step or what it is called but with some alterations. Do not think europeans move the way he teached us, but maybe i see it and we do it but we do not know it.

I searched for youtube and did find chinese footwork that they showed footwork of the chinese at a danish training camp, but the stuff our coach showed us they did not show in the video.

Cross step, the feet actually cross. Semi cross the feet don't cross but the feeling is similar. It is like jumping and swinging into the ball all at once. You know on cross stro, you are swinging before your left foot lands. The same on semi-cross. But your left leg isn't moving so far that it comes over your right.

In any case I don't know a lot, I just have one high level coach friend with who I can chat a bit - we don't live in the same country - so I am always open to learning and seeing stuff. It is just that this reminds me of what he told me back then. My knees are just not strong enough to do it aggressively. But if you put a ball to my forehand, this is usually the footwork you will see if I have to move not the usual two step.

So now you owe us 2 videos, pushing and footwork!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NL, what you call semi cross I use the term power hop/power slide.

If a ball is 3 or 4 feet to my FH and I cannot get there with a normal 2 step done once, I will push off explosively with my left leg to hop or slide to the right and hit as I land time available... mid air if out of time and bounce back after landing.

These balls 3 to 5 feet to my FH I would never have enough time to do the 2 step twice. Would be late for my own funeral after Chopin got done playing.

Some high level coaches tend to say for crossover for a right handers to NOT take a quick tiny step with right foot... but to go right into crossover with left.

I find I cannot do that unless I see very early that the ball is going really wide.

Usually, I see it as I start to move, so that tiny step with the right helps me move to target and for my level, I get my 110 mg self to the spot to make a strong play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Last Tuesday we had a league match against against the strongest team in our group (IMO - they are only second place,.. but have the cleaner play style). In those matches somehow our team is often pumped up and we outgrow ourselves. So we expected a close encounter into deep night starting at 19.30 in their club.

First three doubles we got out 2:1, but then went through a bunch of single losses. Was a bit disappointed, even angry losing to their second player in the fifth 11:9. But could put it aside and then playing their number one I played.. like the match of my life. It's only 3-4 weeks after the cast from my arm got removed and I could train again, I had not recovered properly from a cold and after my first match discovered that my throbbing nose was not only from the cold but actually bleeding. I looked so tired that my team mate said I was wrecked. It was just glorious fighting one of the most skilled opponents in that condition. Even far from the table he was fishing the ball with ease and had some short tricky movements with his BH where he would awkwardly load the ball with spin. A two winged looper with more consistency and control than should be allowed in the second lowest tier. But I tried to keep my cool and grab my opportunities. And then of course it goes to the deciding fifth. Deuce. At 13:13 we play the most beautiful point of the game, he keeps lobbing back nearly impossible balls, but after winning it, I know I will not let that match slip. 15:13 won.

More points come rolling in, so we finally lead 8:6 and only need one point. But even in the deciding doubles we cannot close it. 8:8.

For those moments I love TT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
It's been a couple of bad weeks with my coaching getting into a dispute with the club leaving me without a coach. We have a new coach who's ITTF 4+ but he's not showing so much interest in us adults. I started thinking about what's fun and decided to at least try out LP since I've always liked running around chasing balls.

We met the team that's leading our division tonight and I had a real mental battle with myself whether to use my standard setup or a similar setup with Double Fish 1615 OX instead. I quite late decided for the LP setup and it spared me of complete humiliation. The players that I met are about 3 times my rating and I managed to loose with 1-3 0-3 and 2-3 which is a way better result than what I would've done with double sided inverted. Not too shabby for only using it for about 2 weeks. I had a blast fish and chopping balls. I lost track of how many unforced errors that I caused with my 7€ OX LP.

As a side note: I had my 12 year old daughter with me who had agreed to film me but she "forgot". I guess that my 13-14 year old team mates were quite the distraction :D

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How Do you want to play with the long pimple? Close or far away from the table?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
How Do you want to play with the long pimple? Close or far away from the table?

Chop chop loop 2-3m away from the table. That's my vision. It really depends on the opponent though. The last match was the most entertaining match I've ever played as he looped into my FH as he was scared of the LP. Pretty much every point was FH loop to FH loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Chop chop loop 2-3m away from the table. That's my vision. It really depends on the opponent though. The last match was the most entertaining match I've ever played as he looped into my FH as he was scared of the LP. Pretty much every point was FH loop to FH loop.

This is proably one of the hardest ways to play tabletennis i think. Difficult and takes alot of energy. How is your footwork? You need to move really well if you want to play like this.

I Do not know the long pimples you are using now But i think you should try a long pimple with sponge and with grip so you can create your own spin. A long pimple created to pushblock with Will not work aswell further away from the table. But Gustaf Ericson i think are using a long pimple more for pushblocking and he plays a bit away from the table.

I also think you should try a slow tacky china rubber so you learn how to chop with the forehand aswell. Then in the future you can change to something faster. Your blade is proably also somewhat important.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
This is proably one of the hardest ways to play tabletennis i think. Difficult and takes alot of energy. How is your footwork? You need to move really well if you want to play like this.

I Do not know the long pimples you are using now But i think you should try a long pimple with sponge and with grip so you can create your own spin. A long pimple created to pushblock with Will not work aswell further away from the table. But Gustaf Ericson i think are using a long pimple more for pushblocking and he plays a bit away from the table.

I also think you should try a slow tacky china rubber so you learn how to chop with the forehand aswell. Then in the future you can change to something faster. Your blade is proably also somewhat important.

My foot work is sh*t but I have quite a bit of agility as I've been doing athletics (friidrott) since I was about 8. I kind of like the challenge and have no real hopes of getting any good but I think that this is the style for me as I feel happy when doing it (and afterwards as well). There's something about the chase after the ball that attracts me.

I think that I'll do what you say and switch to a rubber with some grip as the current one is almost frictionless and pretty much impossible to hit/punch/drive with.

I've played quite a lot with Hurricane 3 and I don't got the technique for it. Rozena is (fairly) cheap, boring and predictable. I'll stick with it for the time being.