Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Have not posted in a while. Since my friend OldSchoolPenholder is posting, i might as well get back into the party. Been injured with a severe case of shoulder scapula tendinitis and have been out for about 6 weeks(took a anti inflamm shot 5 weeks ago). Went to my club on Saturday and did about 1 hour of light yoga to warm up the body. Took a lesson with one of my coaches(former Beijing womens provincial player) and went about 60 to 70%...boy i was out of breadth...(note remember to bring oxygen tank next time) Felt ok afterwards, iced the hurt parts and did some light stretching & muscle loosening exercises afterwards(using a foam roller to roll out my back and shoulders).

Also have been very conscience of making sure not to tense up too much and try to relax when playing. Only apply greater force when about to contact the ball. Playing loose so i don't tense up and tighten my bad back(2 herniated discs and sciatica down my left leg)...Since i was only going 60 to 70%, i felt like i had some insight into my game and where i should be heading. Relax and take it easy.

Since i was coming back and wanted to try something new. I normally play with Stiga Clippa 2.0 short pips and saw on MYTT great reviews on the Spinlord Waran short pips. Spinlord Waran is a little faster and maybe a tad spinnier than Stiga Clippa unboosted. I also found the Spinlord Waran has alot of gears and gives you that speed glue popping sound that we all used to like...(those were the days) But i always played with Stiga Clippa 2.0 boosted with special sauce therefore i get more speed. As of right now i still may prefer the Stiga Clippa. I will try some special sauce on the Spinlord Waran to give it a extra kick and it may turn out to suit my tastes.

Got home...iced again... just in case....hope i am not too sore tomorrow.:D

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Duke Nuke 'em and Der_Echte in the club...

a68491cc93126bfb0b91f18bdb4f4903.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Duke Nuke 'em and Der_Echte in the club...

a68491cc93126bfb0b91f18bdb4f4903.jpg

Sent from my SmartAzzed NSA Phoney Beta Xi

Awesome photo.

I see you are sporting one of the production models of the new SpyPhone we are developing. How is that model working for you so far? [emoji41]

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
@ the underspn serves you're giving NL.

I often see no raquet until well after contacts been made. Does this mean that the contact is invisible to the person standing accross from you? or is it just the angle of the camera? it's borderline, because ocassionally I'm able to see your raquet again on the contact.

personally I didn't notice, but a friend was watching the video and he's a certified ump and was telling me "that's illegal."

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I often see no raquet until well after contacts been made. Does this mean that the contact is invisible to the person standing accross from you? or is it just the angle of the camera? it's borderline, because ocassionally I'm able to see your raquet again on the contact.

personally I didn't notice, but a friend was watching the video and he's a certified ump and was telling me "that's illegal."

The angle he filmed from is straight on, down the midline. A standard receive would be from the BH corner. NL would have to film for the BH corner for you to see just how visible the contact is. But these are totally legit. And what you are seeing is that his contact point is very close to the right side of his body: exactly where you want contact to be for maximum leverage on that serve. And exactly at the right point to make it so the racket appears just a moment before contact.

But the ball is always visible, EVEN FROM THIS ANGLE, and is never fully blocked behind the body, so the serve can't be illegal.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Saw the video, did not see any issue with the contact. I was marveling at the stance where the racket arm is so well hidden that the receiver cannot see the acceleration

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I also want it on record that I've never called someone out for illegal serves, even players hitting it directly out of their hand. But the umpire friend that was sitting next to me watching mentioned it, and that's why I made the comment. upon slowing the video and looking closely I'd agree with the ump. Still wouldn't call it out in a match though.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
from the center it's not visible but from a stance while he's serving it is? what if I was a lefty...

The first sentence is totally incoherent. Just checking: did you take the ADHD meds today?

From the this view, it is visible. The ball is never hidden. If the ball is always in view, the contact cannot be hidden. This is actually the view of a lefty. Yes, that is right. If a lefty is serving to you and you tell me that you stand where you stand to receive a righty's serves, I will simply tell you you are foolish because you are leaving your wide FH WIDE OPEN. Same thing if a righty serves from the FH side. You have to move towards the center. And a lefty has to do the same for receiving a right hander's serve.

So, if the ball is always in view, in the video, and a righty would receive that serve from the righty's BH corner, it would be more than easily visible. Those are excellent serves and that is exactly where you want to contact the ball on your serve. That took work and practice to get the contact in such an ideal location.

says what [IMG]
They look illegal, but the ball is always in view if you freeze frame it or just look close enough. Technically, the contact is as well. Even though it's hidden like a mother****er, you can still read it because the racket is visible at contact.

I believe this is different from all the blatant actually-hiding-the-ball that is possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

It's partly the angle of the camera, which is clearly a little to the right of the centerline, but I have never had someone tell me that I am hiding my serves in my life, though I have sometimes in annoyance vs people who hide theirs but never consistently as I don't practice it and it hurts my mental game. There is also no rule stating that the racket has to be visible before contact or throughout the serve.

My backswing is also extremely short so you are not going to see a lot of racket. Good luck to your umpire friend - at least, if he calls the serve he is trying to do his job, even if he has no clue what he is talking about.

Here is how it looks in a match:

youtu.be/gMDGHRfFj3M?t=233

Last edited:
Hi NL,

After watching your backspin serves I have noticed a couple of things that you probably noticed aswell.

1- your toss needs to be abit more consistent, on occasions I saw you throw the ball backwards on your toss which definitely doesn't make the serve illegal but it puts your racket whip mechanics out even if slightly which reduced the amount of spin you was getting on some of your serves.

2 - also on some occasions you used more of the sponge when serving instead of the top sheet for producing spin and this also caused a reduction in spin as there was more of a solid contact instead of a brushing contact.

Obviously these points will only start to decrease after time.

I was very impressed with the distance of the serve done well keeping it short and also with the height [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi NL,

After watching your backspin serves I have noticed a couple of things that you probably noticed aswell.

1- your toss needs to be abit more consistent, on occasions I saw you throw the ball backwards on your toss which definitely doesn't make the serve illegal but it puts your racket whip mechanics out even if slightly which reduced the amount of spin you was getting on some of your serves.

2 - also on some occasions you used more of the sponge when serving instead of the top sheet for producing spin and this also caused a reduction in spin as there was more of a solid contact instead of a brushing contact.

Obviously these points will only start to decrease after time.

I was very impressed with the distance of the serve done well keeping it short and also with the height [emoji846]

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Pricey. The serves are far from optimal - this was mostly a consistency of spin generation exercise. I think when I start serving to hit precise trajectories, points and depths on the table, I will be challenged more by the things you mentioned. My coach criticized the consistency with which I go after heavy backspin serves in matches, arguing that I had subpar whip mechanics far too often. Since I hadn't practiced in a while, I wanted to see where my technique was.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
The first sentence is totally incoherent. Just checking: did you take the ADHD meds today?

From the this view, it is visible. The ball is never hidden. If the ball is always in view, the contact cannot be hidden. This is actually the view of a lefty. Yes, that is right. If a lefty is serving to you and you tell me that you stand where you stand to receive a righty's serves, I will simply tell you you are foolish because you are leaving your wide FH WIDE OPEN. Same thing if a righty serves from the FH side. You have to move towards the center. And a lefty has to do the same for receiving a right hander's serve.

So, if the ball is always in view, in the video, and a righty would receive that serve from the righty's BH corner, it would be more than easily visible. Those are excellent serves and that is exactly where you want to contact the ball on your serve. That took work and practice to get the contact in such an ideal location.

upon watching frame by frame I see the contact of most his balls. However there are some that it's definitely not visible. this is the point of contact on one. I see no ball.

ALSO my sentence makes more sense if you don't think about it. Or read it. Yea just don't read it.

contact point.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
upon watching frame by frame I see the contact of most his balls. However there are some that it's definitely not visible. this is the point of contact on one. I see no ball.

ALSO my sentence makes more sense if you don't think about it. Or read it. Yea just don't read it.

View attachment 10830

That's a bad toss chased but maybe I should practice that for left handers. But if you are where a right handed receiver is, you will see the ball. What's the time stamp for that serve?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I like this clip. Just proves how different we all precive things.
Id have REAL trouble reading those serves. BUT, at contact, those are all legit, no question. Great vid. Great serves!

(Edit: yeah, id be over to the bh-side, were im sure even that ball would be visible on impact.)

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Have not posted in a while. Since my friend OldSchoolPenholder is posting, i might as well get back into the party. Been injured with a severe case of shoulder scapula tendinitis and have been out for about 6 weeks(took a anti inflamm shot 5 weeks ago).

It has always pained me to hear about your back and assorted injuries. You are younger than me and should not be in this state.

Hoping for a painfree or relatively painless recovery for you!