Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
@JeffM watch out for what J-Slick sez... dude is 56 yrs old and weighs in at 230 lbs (104 kg).

Take it with a truckload of salt.

He might have been top fit for 40 yrs, but he iz now officially over the hill.

Wait a minute, who would that description fit, I wonder who?
bahaha we are in the twilight zone apparently! (and by that i mean, jslick actually would have a backhand if that was my true description)

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
BTW, @Jslick89 waz FH looping consecutive balls vs my chop at the end of league when he had the beat down on hiz Körper...
that blade was fun....honestly it didn't feel significantly slower than my viscaria/tenergy. maybe time to switch to a "slow" blade. I've been interested in chinese rubbers but murad was telling me i should try a donic rubbber for my backhand.... hmmmmm

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Has anyone used butterfly free chack II or know whether it is a good glue to use?
I am trying to figure out how I can change my rubber in a manner where I am only paying delivery fee once... (and also not a super long wait for the delivery also).
I am planning to get D09c from OOAK and maybe the free chack II (20mL) if you guys reckon it will be fine.
And if I do, the only issue would be that I don't have my 'roller' with me where I use it to roll the rubber onto the blade..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Has anyone used butterfly free chack II or know whether it is a good glue to use?
I am trying to figure out how I can change my rubber in a manner where I am only paying delivery fee once... (and also not a super long wait for the delivery also).
I am planning to get D09c from OOAK and maybe the free chack II (20mL) if you guys reckon it will be fine.
And if I do, the only issue would be that I don't have my 'roller' with me where I use it to roll the rubber onto the blade..
Rubber changing and setup management is only an elaborate science if you make it so. As long as the glue job isn't terrible (not a good adhesion to blade), I can roll with even an aerosol can if necessary. Or nothing at all sometimes. I am just not good enough a player that these things make a huge difference.

I am sure any decent glue will be fine. Even free chack.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Rubber changing and setup management is only an elaborate science if you make it so. As long as the glue job isn't terrible (not a good adhesion to blade), I can roll with even an aerosol can if necessary. Or nothing at all sometimes. I am just not good enough a player that these things make a huge difference.

I am sure any decent glue will be fine. Even free chack.
Cool, I’ll commit to that then. It is just a lot more tricky to try do things like this in regional areas where supplies are limited and expertise to fix things in case something goes wrong is absent.

I’m still thinking what to use to roll the rubber on. Maybe a wine bottle but I must make sure not to break it in the process otherwise I will be in deep trouble.

I’ll probably be using a scissor to cut my rubber too just to make things simpler.

Reactions: NextLevel and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Cool, I’ll commit to that then. It is just a lot more tricky to try do things like this in regional areas where supplies are limited and expertise to fix things in case something goes wrong is absent.

I’m still thinking what to use to roll the rubber on. Maybe a wine bottle but I must make sure not to break it in the process otherwise I will be in deep trouble.

I’ll probably be using a scissor to cut my rubber too just to make things simpler.
I have used free chack II. I bought a 50ml bottle and then another 500ml to refill that 50ml bottle. It is fine. I think it does its job. Is it the best invention on earth? No. I can always find something I don't like about certain glue.

I have noted that 1) free chack II dries really quickly. I think its viscosity is pretty high. Usually thin glues (like Revolution No. 3 normal viscosity) takes a while to dry, and 2) free chack II, when dry, can still leave some white streaks on the rubber. You can ignore those white streaks. Just put the rubber on and you will be fine.

I am weird. I don't mind taking 24 hours in between each layer of boosting since I just do other things like work and watching Netflix. But once the rubbers are ready to be glued to the blade, I am usually in a hurry. I am not going to wait 3 hours for the glues to dry. So free chack II drying fairly quickly is a plus for me.

Anything "tube-like" can be used to roll the rubber onto the blade. I used to use my Butterfly rubber cleaner (back then, it was aerosol and had to be shipped ground, no via air/airplane). Now I use ball box, like any of the following:

I use a scissor to cut my rubber. I also leave a little edge outside the rubber because I EJ so much that I transfer rubbers in between blades. The worst thing that can happen is to run out of real estate (you know what I mean) when you transfer the rubbers to a new blade. My clubmates have made fun of my blades and rubber as though my (imaginary) dogs have bitten into them. Well, I don't really care. Aesthetic has never been important to me. I like practicality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

The most important thing in my experience is to put two layers on rubber, one on blade, and to let the glue dry on both and then put the rubber on before cutting. This gives the best adhesion. Scissors I have always used, people who use razor blades I admire I think. I don't have that in me. Rolling on I do after I cut not before. But I am sure I can reverse the order. But my technique tolerates my imperfections.

PS: I also do oversize cuts for heavily boosted rubbers. But since I currently am using Golden Tango or Dignics, this is not an issue.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I have a new technical model now: Damien Provost. or at least how I imagine his game. I am not a lefty but I like the way he keeps his elbows close so that his rotation consistently generates power without excessive knee bend. Will play out of this model for the next few months and see how it goes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
So I have a new technical model now: Damien Provost. or at least how I imagine his game. I am not a lefty but I like the way he keeps his elbows close so that his rotation consistently generates power without excessive knee bend. Will play out of this model for the next few months and see how it goes.
Ok I just youtubed Damien Provost on Youtube. He keeps his elbow close to his body but don't many European players such as Timo Boll also do that?

I was trained by a Chinese coach growing up. For about the first two years of me learning the sport, he told me to keep elbow close to my body. With elbow further away from the body, you can lose control of your arm and your angles. I even learned how to loop with elbow close to my body.

Then one day he just suddenly told me to use my shoulder (i.e. my elbow needed to be away from my body now). It confused the heck out of me. It took my coach and myself about six months to re-invent or re-work my forehand completely.

I think both styles are fine. I can see how, with elbow close to your body, you have better control of your bat and you have a faster recovery between loops, and it is easier to go forehand to backhand and then back to forehand faster.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok I just youtubed Damien Provost on Youtube. He keeps his elbow close to his body but don't many European players such as Timo Boll also do that?

I was trained by a Chinese coach growing up. For about the first two years of me learning the sport, he told me to keep elbow close to my body. With elbow further away from the body, you can lose control of your arm and your angles. I even learned how to loop with elbow close to my body.

Then one day he just suddenly told me to use my shoulder (i.e. my elbow needed to be away from my body now). It confused the heck out of me. It took my coach and myself about six months to re-invent or re-work my forehand completely.

I think both styles are fine. I can see how, with elbow close to your body, you have better control of your bat and you have a faster recovery between loops, and it is easier to go forehand to backhand and then back to forehand faster.
Pretty much. I think if you are aggressive with your use of the lower body, the elbow away from the body model on forward swings is probably the way to go. But for me, I am trying to manage arthritis while still playing athletically. Elbow close to the body is one of the things I feel will make my technique tighter, but I usually give up because I need to keep my lower back strong when i do it. But I think there are ways to make it work better.

Timo Boll uses his lower body much more aggressively than Damien does.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
Practiced a lot of BH switches down the line at home using the Harimoto method of straightening the left leg to enable the body to face the wide FH of the opponent. Managed to do it quite well during training today with my usual training partner but I think it has limited use in matches against him because he actively avoids going BH-BH against me anyway... Unless I go down the line with my 1st BH rather than the subsequent ones. I did that and earned quite a few points that way, but it's usually not so easy when facing a big penhold FH, the quality has to be there to suppress the counterloop.

Reactions: OvrChkn and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Long work week for me, so I'm doing some small shadow practices at home today. Watched some of the WTT Rio Semis and Finals. Pretty great matches all around. Watching Hina Hayata's pushes and loops vs Linda Bergstrom's defensive play gave me a few ideas to try against our local pusher.

Got myself an inner carbon, but I probably won't get around to do serious practicing with it until the fall. I don't have any rubbers for it now. Potentially have a league event later this month and a tournament late next month, so I don't want to change anything drastically.

Reactions: JeffM and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I am going to record the new playing style and footwork. It is going to take some practice, definitely more physically demanding in some ways but easier In others. My third ball over the table is more aggressive. But basically the main thing the elbow close to the body does is force me to use better footwork. And the main thing I have to avoid is aggressive lunges with the right knee. Just keep up some drills and stay low carb and try to keep the arthritis away.

Finally, using Golden Tango without the protector sheets is doing great. Rubber still tacky but less so and this helps with the speed on counters and blocks. Right now just continue to do shadow footwork drills at home to build up the stamina. At some point will need to make it multiball to add explosiveness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
My skipping rope arrived.

GND Fitness.jpg

GND Fitness 1.jpg

This user has no status.
I am theorycrafting a new type of short "push" which produces sidetopspin instead of sideunderspin lol but looks exactly like a normal short push. It uses the same wrist mechanics as how I serve pure topspin using a hook serve movement. It is the next generation of the "pushflick" concept to incorporate nasty darkside like spin deception in "normal" double inverted play. Who says that long pips ppl are the only ones who can perform magic tricks?

Will try it when I play next

Last edited:
  • Wow
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am theorycrafting a new type of short "push" which produces sidetopspin instead of sideunderspin lol but looks exactly like a normal short push. It uses the same wrist mechanics as how I serve pure topspin using a hook serve movement. It is the next generation of the "pushflick" concept to incorporate nasty darkside like spin deception in "normal" double inverted play. Who says that long pips ppl are the only ones who can perform magic tricks?

Will try it when I play next
Can you push with sidespin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Tonight I went to the usual club session. I had a blast.

I first played with the nearby townmate, whom I view as better than me, as he did quite well in the last competition. Ranking wise, he is 120 points above me, but his ranking may not be accurate due to very few activity. The first 3 sets I playedd really well, and I stomped to a 3-0 lead. The 4th set, it got closer, it almost feels like he is coming back, but I won the set 12-10. So it was a 4-0 victory for me. The recent times it has been very close between us, and sometimes he would beat me close or badly. I am not sure exactly what clicked this time, but I think it is a combination of factors: 1. I stayed on my toes more at the start of the point, especially when I am receiving, and almost like I am slightly shuffling at the start. I received better this time, and I felt my fh flick was better and my bh banana were good too (perhaps because I am moving into position faster). 2. I take my time in my serves, I think about what serve I want to do and what he won't like, then I execute. I did not go into automatic mode and just serve straight away. 3. I started rope skipping, and today I brought my new rope with me to the centre, and I did a personal record of 75 times! The rope felt amazing, it has some weight, and I can feel it really well, so I am quite pleased with the purchase.

Then I played against a younger man who doesn't have a backhand. I have sort of figured him out as he likes to use his fh on everything. His bh is rather weak, so I exploit that, either by serving to his bh side to force him out of position then fh finish down the line, or serve a fast one down the line into his fh to do an ace etc. 4-1 for me.

Then I played against a club veteran. I know his game very well, so it was more of a game where I get to practice looping with my forehand, and using my bh to open up on his serves. 3-0 for me.

I will have to try replicate my findings next week to see how it works. The shuffling will probably tire me out faster in a comp, but then if it makes me play better, then maybe it is favourable for me. Sadly the nearby townmate has to cancel our training session tomorrow, so I will have to wait for a week for my next tt. Meanwhile, it is fitness building time.