Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How do you find the balance of the racket? Rakza Z EH should be pretty heavy rubber, and you are using on both fh and bh
Golden Tango is pretty heavy already so it is pretty similar, nothing special. With all these things, a lot comes down to grip strength (so you are relaxed when swinging but your fingers are still able to apply pressur) and patience to train and adapt when you don't have it. My hands and fingers also larger than most TT players.

Reactions: Fedex78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
So I planned to have a hit today with my friends before my comp tmr.

While I was on the freeway, a major accident occurred and I was stuck on the freeway for 1.5 hours not moving...
My friends ended up cancelling the session. So I had my lunch at 4:30pm.
Guess that is it for the comp tmr, even though I had planned to practice, some things are just destined.

• Wow
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
the 3 steps before hitting a ball, are you talking about the split step? how can u make those 3 steps quickly in a close to the table quick rally?
This is only for short serve receive - the ball won't be that fast during a short serve.

Reactions: Mikey_TT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I need to digest everything what you commented here and in the video Footage thread. Everything is some adjustment which matters. I know that for FH loop I do to big arm swing and struggle to get back to position when ball returns to repeat. I have to do smaller swing but more engage body/hips to have more powerful shot. I feel that hit and it won’t fly… the same is with bh loop there isn’t consistency, more using wrist and fingers to get more spin and acceleration.
My service is another story not enough spin and lack of practice with reading the incoming spin and proper receive.
In general a lot to work on 😉

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I need to digest everything what you commented here and in the video Footage thread. Everything is some adjustment which matters. I know that for FH loop I do to big arm swing and struggle to get back to position when ball returns to repeat. I have to do smaller swing but more engage body/hips to have more powerful shot. I feel that hit and it won’t fly… the same is with bh loop there isn’t consistency, more using wrist and fingers to get more spin and acceleration.
My service is another story not enough spin and lack of practice with reading the incoming spin and proper receive.
In general a lot to work on 😉
How much serving on the floor do you fo?

says preparing for a tournament
Sep 2023
Today was great! I beat two players who i have a hard time beating usually, they are some of the best players in my club.

the first oponent had a flick style and great feeling, backhand dominant.
my main strategy was counter attack close to the table on his flicks and getting the first attack on his serve wether long or short (i pushed some for surprise)
i beat him in a best of 5
3-0

the second oponent was a lp chopper (very annoying for me) but since i have improved my fh loop and serves a lot since the last time i played him i beat him the 2nd game
1-1
had to leave since my timings are quite strict..
I figured out 3rd ball attacks for thr first time against lp since they are very predictable..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
How much serving on the floor do you fo?
Sorry I don’t get it ;/ You meant if I did practice services w/o playing?
If this is the case, I'm ashamed to admit it but none. I do not practice it at all. Have no time or maybe I hate wasting training time when we plays some drills.
But Tuesday and Thursday I have club training session which lasts 2 hours and I’m exhausted but on Friday I have private 1 hr session with my coach and after I can stay for additional 30 minutes and can focus only on services.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sorry I don’t get it ;/ You meant if I did practice services w/o playing?
If this is the case, I'm ashamed to admit it but none. I do not practice it at all. Have no time or maybe I hate wasting training time when we plays some drills.
But Tuesday and Thursday I have club training session which lasts 2 hours and I’m exhausted but on Friday I have private 1 hr session with my coach and after I can stay for additional 30 minutes and can focus only on services.
I mean training your serves and strokes to generate spin but not at the table, on a bed or on the floor so you can take powerful cuts with your serving form and see the full path of the ball and develop power into the serving stroke. Practicing all the time at the table makes it hard to develop good spin on the serves, the power required to generate good serves initially causes you to miss many serves so you don't need to develop it at the table. When you have the power, then you can control and modify it to serve at the table.

Can you bounce the ball with backspin on alternate sides of your racket? I am trying to see whether you have done some of the drills and work that improves whip timing and generating heavy spin with the fingers. Serving on the floor is one of these drills. When you learn to serve and generate heavy spin on the floor, you develop a better intuition for what generates racket head speed over small distances.

Most serve training is by yourself, a coach can only give maybe 10 minutes of instruction and repeat things over time. The real work is repeating the right thing and figuring out how to control the ball with it. It is just that on your pushes, the acceleration doesn't look tight so you are popping the ball up repeatedly in a floating way, you really should be accelerating a bit more so that even if it pops up, one can see that you have out action on the ball. But some of this will be obvious when you have done more service training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ohh, I got it.. yep I do not practice outside the table. I saw some videos to practice fh cut (underspin) on the coach to feel the ball, generate spin, relax and work with the wrist.. etc.. need to do this and then check on the table.
Do it over large distances on the floor using proper form or on the bed first. Then take it to the table.

Reactions: disaster3
This user has no status.
I found a much more effective way to tweak the split step so that it's faster and smoother, just do it with a very slight delay between the landing of the two feet. So for eg for service you transfer weight to the left foot during contact, then using that momentum rotate such that your right foot finds the ready position first, then swiftly followed by the left foot.

With this tweak the ready position is very flexibly tweaked, even if you serve from deep FH corner you can still recover back to left of the middle line if you want.

Landing with both feet together is a no no because it makes the steps a lot heavier and tiring plus it is less flexible.

This user has no status.
I found a much more effective way to tweak the split step so that it's faster and smoother, just do it with a very slight delay between the landing of the two feet. So for eg for service you transfer weight to the left foot during contact, then using that momentum rotate such that your right foot finds the ready position first, then swiftly followed by the left foot.

With this tweak the ready position is very flexibly tweaked, even if you serve from deep FH corner you can still recover back to left of the middle line if you want.

Landing with both feet together is a no no because it makes the steps a lot heavier and tiring plus it is less flexible.
gotta try this !!!

Reactions: blahness
Sep 2023

can you send a video of you or any other player doing it? could be shadow practice..

Reactions: draken_07
says what [IMG]
I don't know if anyone here still remembers me, but I might be getting back into the sport. Only problem is I'm out of a setup.

I had to leave the Stiga Allround Evolution behind, and while that was solid, I just want something different.

Opinions on Tibhar Allround Classic with H3 Neo on the forehand and FX-P on the backhand? Around 2 - 2.15mm or so. Unskilled beginner player for all intents and purposes, although I have played before. Not interested in performance as much as developing good habits.

I liked the "big forehand" style of the old shitty rock hard 729FX I had, but I think I would need something springier for the backhand. I actually have some money now, so I can spend a bit more than minimum. :p

Reactions: JeffM and SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
1.jpg

First time pairing with my partner, we did pretty well, lots of close matches.
Bit of background as to how the comp works: the average rating of the pair has to be below 1000, so if you have a strong player, then the other player has to be much weaker.
You might be asking why I join this event then. This reason is because this is the only event that I could join while I am in the city at the time. If I was in the city the next coming weekend, there are so many more events that I can join, but this weekend that I am in the city, I could only find this event that I can join and that means I have to find someone that has a lower rating to play with me.

First match was against a pair where the male is elderly 70s and the female was 60+. The male uses both inverted, while the female uses penhold with rpb inverted and front side long pimple. We got through the first 2 sets with relative ease, and then the 3rd set they started to cause more difficulty for us but we still managed to win 3-0.

Second match was against a pair where there is a big power imbalance. I played against the stronger player (a teenager with rating in the 1200s) earlier in the year 3 times in doubles, 2 of those were close ones, but I lost all of them. This time, he paired up with his friend, who is considerably weaker than he is. We were up in first set but somehow lost it in duece, then it was all catch up work, 1-0, 1-1, 2,1, 2-2, we managed to scrape by in the 5th set and made it 2-3. The weaker player in that pair could only do one serve, but it was low and short with not much spin to it. Surprisingly it causes me to have trouble doing a strong receive to it and when I do try, I often clips the net and loses the point completely. So what appears would be a easy match became a hard match.

Third match (semi finals), we were up against a pair where there is again a bit of a power imbalance, but not so much reflected in the rating. The stronger player uses penhold, forehand inverted, backhand anti-spin. It wasn't so much the anti-spin that was giving me issues, but it was his serves. He was able to do a very backhand heavy side-top serve that is really short whilst keeping it relatively similar in motion with his backhand side backspin serve. The anti-spin was causing some issue with my partner. We were 0-2 down, and 3rd set, we were down again, but we really held on and not give up, so we got 1 set back, and then another set back. 5th set, we had a bad start, 0-4. We didn't give up, we managed to duece it 10-10. We even got a chance at our match point, but I couldn't convert, we end up losing 12-14. :(

There is a match for 3rd place, and this was another hard fought battle. Against a pair first time that is relatively more even in level (slight stronger left handed shakehand male) and a right handed penhold female, all using inverted rubbers. First set felt like forever, we got it after at least 15-13 or more. 2nd set we took it with more ease. Then we lost 3rd rather poorly. 4th set, we barely lost it, it was sort of important, as there are certain receives that I am more comfortable with, and 4th set was that kind.. So 5th set was going to be a tough one. We managed to take 5th set thankfully without it being in duece.

So out of 14 teams, we had gotten 3rd place. We were seen as one of the favourites, with me being one of the stronger players. But the whole living rurally makes practice very tricky leading up to this event, and then accidents while I was in the city made planned practice impossible. Considering how little practice I have had in the past 3 weeks leading up to this competition, I am still happy with 3rd place. We possibly could have gotten into the finals and at least got 2nd or have a chance at 1st, but it is what it is. I also felt the need to perform better to carry more, and that added to my stress level during the games. The other thing that came to me during the games is the compatibility with my partner. My style is alot more aggressive. I would often create opportunity for him to attack when I serve, by no spin or backspin etc, but he isn't as comfortable in taking advantage of that. Then there is the whole issue with energy level at the end as this competition starts at 6pm, and I got there 5:30 to warm up, meaning I ate a little bit only before that, and by 8pm, my body is telling me to think about food and not the match.

Bonus: apart from the first doubles, I recorded all my games, so I am able to look back at them when I have more time to see why we have so much issues with serve receive.

After the comps, because of how infrequent I am back, I played with some of my other friends. I won a singles 3-1 after leading 2-0. Then we played a doubles before the owner told us he is closing down.

It was a good experience overall, and I will remember this one in my TT journey.
I think this is really the final competition this year.

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-22 at 11.14.43 PM.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I went into the gym where we meet up to play on Sunday. The dangers of EJing are creeping back into my game lol as I have 4 setups with which I play fairly indistinguishably.

I took a lesson and actually managed to record some of it. Then I played my lefty hitting partner and as always it went 5, but the storyline and ending were different. The first thing was that he was much more aggressive and much less passive. He spun with his forehand much more and his backhand was more confident as he has now switched to D09c on both sides. So I had to play a higher risk game. I was actually up 5-3 in the 5th, and then proceeded to lose 7 straight points. Something must have changed that I didn't catch, but hey, it's just matches. But if he stays this aggressive, his level will go up and mine hopefully will.

I worked a bit on my blocking game in practice matches and I think I will continue to do this, win or lose, vs lower rated players. I have a decent no spin game based on playing deadish kick blocks that I don't use often but it can be a nasty change up against some players. I am going to build it out for sure.

Right now, I have some kind of flu, either stomach or legit. It is making me miserable. All that said, just have to continue the grind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
hey everyone! wondering how to recieve the half long side-top, pendulum serve.
i can recieve them well on my backhand but on my fh i always end up lifting the ball since i am only used to half long backspin serves.. should the stroke be short? or long and forward?
Find a training partner, let him serve you the serves, and use your strokes and you will adapt quickly. One of the biggest mistakes in TT when people learn at an age where they have language skills is that they overly think about things that are best learned and mastered with trial and error. Adapting simply means, change where you start your swing, where on the ball you hit and where the racket finishes in your swing. Changing these things repeatedly will have different effects on the ball and then you will figure out what to do. But if someone tells you anything, it will not mean as much as you training to adapt with your strokes.

Last edited: