Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Had a great hit session with @Der_Echte tonight. Got some pointers on the BH drive. Can't believe I never figured it out myself! I was trying to make bigger swings with more body, more arm, more everything to get the power in, resulting in hitting the ball outside of my strike zone. Turns out all I really needed to do was to change the stroke to more hitting and hit it in the same strike zone as with my BH counters.

Also learned a lot in doubles footwork, kind of counterintuitive when you're used to playing singles, but it really shows how difficult it is to play doubles with 2 right handers compared to right/left combo.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Glad I could run into you @dingyibvs before you go underground for ur Black Ops undercover mission causing trouble elsewhere.

dingyibvs already had a BH opening shot with spin and consistency. Not dominant strong, but some spin and consistency to cause the average citizen to block so dingyibvs could go crazy on next ball. he just had to learn his strike zone, get the position and leverage set, and hit ball in the effective part of strike zone. he started to do that and his first shots had double the quality...

... he also started to get the timing of the second BH follow up when he kept his bat from going 5 ft below the table.

if you wanna make this dude smile, give him and underspin return long when he wants to use the FH.

You could also get a smile outta him by suggesting a doubles match. So much stuff different in doubles and he has some things to consider to make doubles more effective for him, but he loves doubles and is adaptable/coachable.

We both had our heads stuck up our azz in game one, thereafter promptly pulled head out with a loud sound and attacked everything... but we made it easy on ourselves by figuring out what it took to get slower non-attacking balls long... then it was a matter of where and how we wanted to kill them. @dingyibvs and Der_Echte were all high percentage the rest of the way winning 90 plus percent with just one attack.

I was strong on the BH flip going crazy and ditto for anything they tried for a faster shot at my body. They got sick of my BH and pushed to my FH... different kind of poison there too.

These opponents were each OX LP and MP players who would normally trouble some advanced players. @dingyibvs caused them a lot of trouble on FH and hit several BH for points too. He adapted and got it done.

One other thing that impressed me was after or despite when I scolded him a few times about going crazy cowboy attack vs balls he had no chance to get into position for... but to just extend arm and get bat there to ball and get it over the net with the grip... He did that in match pressure later and gave us a chance to stay in the point... and we did win that point when he just got it over low instead of crushing it with zero chance.

@dingyibvs is very lucky he ran into whoever that adult coach he has been working with for some months. There is a NIGHT and DAY DIFFERENCE in a really short timeframe that even Ray Charles could see. (uh, folks, that famous great dude waz blind) Such is the measure of an effective coach and @dingyibvs got it going on.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Pictoral evidence at tt club.

1000003335.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Just wanted to share this...

That is some nasty quick underspin serve to the bh lol! Must be so good to play at amateur level. Never tried to learn the shovel serve. It looks like the serve that is easiest to bring variation/deception in terms of spin, am i right? Can someone provide some quality tutorials on the shovel/hook serve tutorials?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Use Google translate on the Page of their Youtube Videos with the Browser add on, then Ctrl F and search for hook serves.
They got some Videos about it.

Edit:
2 things i remember them saying.
Dont draw your wrist back to early, keep it lose, shake it back very late.
Use your body weight to "draw" the arc of the ball, sebd it forward and keep it low.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Something wonderful happened.

Tonight's game was amazing for me. I was in a zone and I have no idea what happened but I just remember wildly swinging my hands and my ball goes over, no matter against topspin or underspin. It is like I was not aware what my body is doing and it moves on its own automatically without my brain involvement. I am Hooked on this feelin. I want it again and again and again... Please tell me you guys also experience such intense feelings.

Reactions: blahness and latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Tonight's game was amazing for me. I was in a zone and I have no idea what happened but I just remember wildly swinging my hands and my ball goes over, no matter against topspin or underspin. It is like I was not aware what my body is doing and it moves on its own automatically without my brain involvement. I am Hooked on this feelin. I want it again and again and again... Please tell me you guys also experience such intense feelings.
If it isn't on video, it never happened. I find that the game is never quite how you remember it lol.

But seriously, congrats on getting the feeling of invincibility.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Something I just want to share in my journey of TT.
  • I was coached in the modern two wing offensive looper by my previous coach. I never quite turn out the way my coach wanted it to be. I tried to play the modern two wing offensive but somehow it never quite work and I did not know why until today. My FH to BH transition always seems stuck.
  • When I was playing the two wing looping style, I experience this brain convolution, it is like my brain cannot decide to go for BH or FH, and my footwork tends to be unsteady as it is always not very sure to commit one or the other wing.
  • So I said F**K it! Gozo, just concentrate on one wing, that is, your FH and just use your BH for defend / support. You don't need to attack with it. Concentrate on your FH for now.
  • And voila! By eliminating one side, my brain became more clearer and my feet and body readiness is more aligned to what I want to do.
  • Something just came unstuck.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Something I just want to share in my journey of TT.
  • I was coached in the modern two wing offensive looper by my previous coach. I never quite turn out the way my coach wanted it to be. I tried to play the modern two wing offensive but somehow it never quite work and I did not know why until today. My FH to BH transition always seems stuck.
  • When I was playing the two wing looping style, I experience this brain convolution, it is like my brain cannot decide to go for BH or FH, and my footwork tends to be unsteady as it is always not very sure to commit one or the other wing.
  • So I said F**K it! Gozo, just concentrate on one wing, that is, your FH and just use your BH for defend / support. You don't need to attack with it. Concentrate on your FH for now.
  • And voila! By eliminating one side, my brain became more clearer and my feet and body readiness is more aligned to what I want to do.
  • Something just came unstuck.
It depends on what you want to achieve. I went through the same process as you when I lost my training avenues and ended up with an extremely FH focused game. I've spent the past year undoing that as I started training again and am trying to develop a two-winged looping game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

Now that we finally know where the BLUE comes from, which rubber do you have to put on???

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
It depends on what you want to achieve. I went through the same process as you when I lost my training avenues and ended up with an extremely FH focused game. I've spent the past year undoing that as I started training again and am trying to develop a two-winged looping game.
You made it sound as though FH oriented game is a dirty word...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
So, the season is over now, yesterday and today we played the last 2 matches, in a level called "divize". As a team we managed to stay, we're not going down to "KP1", which is perfect. However, my success rate this season was pretty low, cca 33%, among the lowest. This is the first season where I played in "divize". The thing is, during last matches I lost so many tight close 2:3 matches, almost getting under my skin. Yet I felt the level is there, close, just not through. In the very last match I did 2 wins 2 loses, at least that. Also, my team-mates I'd say are less unhappy with my performance than me myself, which is not bad. And I have good motivation to work off-season...

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
That is some nasty quick underspin serve to the bh lol! Must be so good to play at amateur level. Never tried to learn the shovel serve. It looks like the serve that is easiest to bring variation/deception in terms of spin, am i right? Can someone provide some quality tutorials on the shovel/hook serve tutorials?
Search for Craig Bryant's version - it is very good. But there's a huge variety of hook serves and contact mechanisms (theres even reverse sidespin versions lol), what he is teaching is the basics.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Oh, I'm still very much FH dominant, but I'm just sick of getting pinned on the BH side without an opportunity to use my FH.
Yup same same here. My opponent also likes to pin me in the BH corner with either pushes or topspin drive.

At my level, I can push / block all day with the occasional drive if opportunity arises. It is a struggle to see who makes the first unforced error. In my my case, his error is to return to 3/4 of the FH side. My Kryptonite is the wide FH side, footwork not fast enough still.

This user has no status.
i have been playing again now for 10 days. it is still a bit painful but i feel if i don't play anymore im quickly becoming a crumbling old man. I need to move

I can play BH normally, but i cannot make full swing on FH ie extending the arm quickly hurts unless im really warmed up which can take at least half an hour then i start to play more normally on this side. the right hand is hurting at fingers 4 and 5 which affects the FH grip.

but being hurt helps me to focus on my footwork and try to get the better timing of the ball. Its actually a good practice to improve my technique. Having focused on the BH, i have improved my feeling, and im becoming very confident on this side in any situation
--
im really working hard on being able to play more aggressively, especially 3rd ball attack and after a short or long push (especially after being dragged to the table by a short serve or short ball)

and what i noticed its really the MINDSET which is important. after a push now i want to go back quickly and attack any ball behind. normally the opponent should loop or drive it as i will push either short and most of the time push, or long fast aggressive. When attacking you need to be really quick to move compared to blocking. So if finally the ball which comes is a bit tricky (the placement or spin not really ideal for me to make a good attacking shot) then i always have time to block or take another decision.
if i don't have this mindset, i realize even a slow loop will surprise me as i will tend to be too passive, too upright, and the block would fly over the table.

at times i become really good at this and when its the case in matches its like im playing more than 1 level above "usual". I hope it will become the new usual.