Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
For organizing, sorting and prioritizing things to improve, i have come up with this "Priority List".
Its pretty self-explanatory.
Important and urgent stuff into Cat. 1.
Important and helpful, but not so urgent and drastic things into Cat. 2.
Things that I can eventually work on, but not now go into Cat. 3.

Category 1: Super Important!
e.g. :

Stand lower and use more of your body
Footwork and mini-steps
Returning long serves

Category 2: Helpful and Useful!

Backhand placement and adjusting technique
Forehand loop backswing
Active blocking with spin

Category 3: Sometime Later!

Backhand flip on flat, very spinny serves
Chop Block

You can sort advice, tips, or any part of your game that needs some work, into this list.
It is useful for me, might help you as well.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi @dingyibvs ,

I notice with myself that my cramps come from heavy exertion over long time in the day... so if I ball real hard 3+ hours on one day or three days in a row... I will get cramps anytime at evening or worse, like you after I am in bed and slept a little.

NO FUN to wake up with severe cramp that gets worse and also spreads to another muscle when you try to get up !! Sometimes it is a calf cramp and I get up and now severe hamstring or quad cramp.

Drinking a lot of water seems to flush my minerals out of body and the key one I am short is Magnesium. A big meal can also deplete my mineral stores... so a day or three of long TT with much water followed by big sit down meal is a bad combo for cramps.

When I am in big multi day tourneys, I space out doses of magnesium throughout match day and drink one .5 l bottle of water with a pack of fizzy vita C powder (also has baking soda in it) for every 2 .5l bottles I drink and I seem to maitain well.

My problems happen when I am not in a big tourney and it is easy to not pay attention to the body.

When I do get cramps, I take several tablets of Magnesium - Calcium - Zinc - Vita D... USALLY relief within minutes.

I have also seen some say even sniffing or ingesting some apple cider vinegar works too... the study said it affects a region of the brain that tells body to stop the cramp.

My understanding of muscle cramps is, the biggest factor is the amount of rest your body does or does not have. When you are seriously tired, muscles cramp up.

But whatever works for you to make them go away when they appear is good. Even if it is based on Old Der_Ecte tales. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: I am not against the placebo effect and I am not against using something that works for you no matter how it works. But the story that muscle cramps are the result of electrolyte (mineral) depletion (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and manganese), scientific studies show those are not the cause of the muslce cramping. But adding the electrolytes back into your system (because they do get depleted during daily life and especially during exercise), is always good for you.

Physical exhaustion which could be because of extended periods of exertion, not enough sleep, or a combination of those and other factors, is shown to be the primary cause of muscle cramping.

As Der_Echte said, when you are really tired, they will happen while you are sleeping as well. If you get a real, full night of sleep, they will likely not happen during the first part of your day. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
BTW: I am not against the placebo effect and I am not against using something that works for you no matter how it works. But the story that muscle cramps are the result of electrolyte (mineral) depletion (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and manganese), scientific studies show those are not the cause of the muslce cramping. But adding the electrolytes back into your system (because they do get depleted during daily life and especially during exercise), is always good for you.

Physical exhaustion which could be because of extended periods of exertion, not enough sleep, or a combination of those and other factors, is shown to be the primary cause of muscle cramping.

As Der_Echte said, when you are really tired, they will happen while you are sleeping as well. If you get a real, full night of sleep, they will likely not happen during the first part of your day. :)
This article suggests otherwise.

The cause for muscle cramps is likely multifactorial, but it appears likely that electrolyte loss through sweating followed by rehydration and thus dilution of intravascular electrolytes is contributory. This theory makes sense on a couple of practical levels as well. For one, it's known that hyponatremia and hypomagnesemia can cause cramping. We don't lose a lot of magnesium in sweat, so I do suspect that sodium plays a bigger role. For two, two of my cramps were on my left upper and lower intercostal muscles. Being a right hander with a lot of footwork and body usage, those were among the least fatigued muscles on my body, suggesting something other than muscle fatigue is at play.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This article suggests otherwise.

The cause for muscle cramps is likely multifactorial, but it appears likely that electrolyte loss through sweating followed by rehydration and thus dilution of intravascular electrolytes is contributory. This theory makes sense on a couple of practical levels as well. For one, it's known that hyponatremia and hypomagnesemia can cause cramping. We don't lose a lot of magnesium in sweat, so I do suspect that sodium plays a bigger role. For two, two of my cramps were on my left upper and lower intercostal muscles. Being a right hander with a lot of footwork and body usage, those were among the least fatigued muscles on my body, suggesting something other than muscle fatigue is at play.

Yeah. I have seen a lot of research that suggest that. And then, a lot that suggests that no conclusions can be drawn. I would have to find the sources for what I said and I am lazy. But the best research on the subject I have seen is that there is no conclusive evidence that the electrolyte theory is correct. I believed it for years. I am not so sure any more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yeah. I have seen a lot of research that suggest that. And then, a lot that suggests that no conclusions can be drawn. I would have to find the sources for what I said and I am lazy. But the best research on the subject I have seen is that there is no conclusive evidence that the electrolyte theory is correct. I believed it for years. I am not so sure any more.
There's more to learn about this of course. In another study, while electrolyte solution was superior to water, a lot of participants still developed cramps despite receiving repletion equivalent to losses.

The study above did cite multiple other studies, and they've done a more exhaustive literature search than I have obviously, so I do believe the when they say that the particular circumstance they investigated has not been sufficiently explored.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There's more to learn about this of course. In another study, while electrolyte solution was superior to water, a lot of participants still developed cramps despite receiving repletion equivalent to losses.

The study above did cite multiple other studies, and they've done a more exhaustive literature search than I have obviously, so I do believe the when they say that the particular circumstance they investigated has not been sufficiently explored.

And the studies I saw, that led me to the simplified statement....I am not sure if they were saying that electrolyte replacement would take too long to effect cramping during an event. But it sounded like the conclusions were that it is not entirely clear that the depletion of electrolytes were the actual cause of the cramping. That some people are more prone to cramping than others. And that, when someone is sleep deprived or physically exhausted for some other reason, cramping is exponentially more likely whether there has been electrolyte depletion or not.

However, regardless of the cause of cramping or the people who are more or less likely to cramp up in their day or while playing TT, if you are electrolyte depleted, it makes sense to put them back into your system.

When I saw the comparison of studies on the subject, it was a few years ago and I am just a little to lazy to go look for it. But the information the guy gave comparing studies was pretty interesting.

Reactions: IB66 and dingyibvs
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Suxs man! Today an old timer serve a half long to my BH corner and I attempted a topspin open up on his serve and my rubber hit the edge of the table.
IMG_8243.jpeg
IMG_8244.jpeg
IMG_8245.jpeg

😭😭😭

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
And the studies I saw, that led me to the simplified statement....I am not sure if they were saying that electrolyte replacement would take too long to effect cramping during an event. But it sounded like the conclusions were that it is not entirely clear that the depletion of electrolytes were the actual cause of the cramping. That some people are more prone to cramping than others. And that, when someone is sleep deprived or physically exhausted for some other reason, cramping is exponentially more likely whether there has been electrolyte depletion or not.

However, regardless of the cause of cramping or the people who are more or less likely to cramp up in their day or while playing TT, if you are electrolyte depleted, it makes sense to put them back into your system.

When I saw the comparison of studies on the subject, it was a few years ago and I am just a little to lazy to go look for it. But the information the guy gave comparing studies was pretty interesting.
There appears to be many reasons why cramps happen, sometimes it can be an underlying issue like nerves, pinching a nerve or sciatica. A minor case of sciatica could result in a muscle cramp without any noticeable pain at the point of the slightly trapped nerve.
I remember being told that cramping up can also be a mechanism to stop injury or further injury??
Calcium can also build up where the muscles overlay each other, the term 'having a knot' in a muscle. My physio told me that the outer edges of muscles are a little like Velcro, so they 'knot' together and there is a calcium build up that occurs.
Sometimes they use acupuncture to break up the smaller Calcium deposits. A 'Sports Massage' with deep massage also helps to loosen up the knots, break up the calcium and Velcro effect.
I've never had a muscle cramp up during play, well that's a lie thinking about it!! when I was young I'd get a stomach 'stitch' when playing football !!!
I usually get cramp after I've played, toes a lot, calf and thigh occasionally. Stomach very rarely.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My cramps always come after prolonged extra-heavy explosive exertion and seem to be exasperated by poor mineral maintenance. They could be worse if I had several days poor rest... but I get bad ones at night after real heavy hours long exertion.

I do not think I am contrasting Carl very much if at all... mine are to me primarily a result of extreme prolonged heavy exertion compounded by rest/mineralization.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Suxs man! Today an old timer serve a half long to my BH corner and I attempted a topspin open up on his serve and my rubber hit the edge of the table.View attachment 28711View attachment 28712View attachment 28713
😭😭😭
The good news here is that the damaged part of the rubber is nowhere near where you should be hitting the ball. So this should have zero impact on your play using that rubber. Ignore it.

Unless you play in a league where they tell you you can't use that rubber, it makes no difference.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Played again after almost a week. My ball feeling pretty much went down the drain especially serve/receive but somehow still played well. I figured out a way to really punish fast quality pendulum serves down the line to my wide FH even when I'm completely caught off guard. Previously I can only feel comfortable looping back down the line which became very predictable over time. This time I figured out how to show the body position for the down the line loop but use the wrist action to make it a fast diagonal loop with sidespin. In essence this ensures that I can decide where to go at the last second.