Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Perhaps the number was 8 min.

BTW: I know boxers go through training where they are working out for 3 min on and 1 min off the get their bodies accustomed to the time intervals for the 3 min round and 1 min rest period between rounds.

And all of what I am presenting assumes a fairly high intensity. But multiball can be many different intensities.

The in out multiball drills that I have the most fun doing, I think I could go for 30 min straight without even needing to stop even without being anywhere near my top fitness level right now.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Korean amature coaches I saw in Korea (most of them were fromer pros or semi-pros) would give only 20 minute lessons. They would integrate a dynamic warmup into the workout (yes the lesson was more of a workout or a DRILL than a lesson teaching something) with some FH to FH, BH to BH, some easy one step, some easy two step, some multi ball on some stroke they were at in your level of development, and if you were advanced, coach would go into multiball and rapid single ball drills that required explosive movement, intense footwork, full power and recover, repeating without rest. I would pause a second or two (or ten if i was real wonded after 6 in a row) before starting the single ball combo drill.

Coach might have made it 10 minutes at that level of max or near max intensity with 10 minutes of gradual progression.

I don't care what kind of stud the player doing the "lesson" was, before the 20 minutes was over (really before 10 minutes of the hard stuff) they were all broke down like a 15 year old Ford.

The hyper intense single ball drills COULD have a rally lasting more than 8 seconds, but not so often... yet still, coach was beginning to feed you waiting only enough time for you to set your feet again, which was 1-2 seconds. Coach would spend 2-4 minutes on each drill scenario depending on your overall progression in skill. Linked together, it was almost like a non-stop death drill.

Coaches there offered 30 minute lessons, but for sure, these were for players who were not doing intense explosive movements and swings/recovery. They were for repetitive light stuff that coach rotated to avoid light overuse.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The higher level the player's technique the more advanced the skill level of the multiball (but not necessarily the cardio intensity level).

The better your cardio level, the more you will be able to handle the cardio aspect of a multiball exercise even if your TT skill level isn't that high.

When you have a high level player whose cardio fitness is very good, he will be able to handle a technically challenging and aerobically challenging drill for longer.

If you have a player whose TT level is high but his aerobic fitness is low, he will be able to do technically challenging drills. But he will have to stop soon.

The actual limiting factor is the heart rate. If you take someone too far the target heart rate for the person's age and weight, BAD THINGS.

But still, the issue is cardio endurance and heart rate. And 8 seconds is an odd number here because the length that a person can handle high level cardio endurance training differs person by person and day by day.

Someone can train to improve their cardio endurance and their aerobic capacity. And someone can sit on a couch and eat too much and make their cardio endurance get worse. So those levels are not a constant just like someone's skill at TT can improve or get worse.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
On a different note:

This weekend I got the two best around the net shots I've ever made. Wish I had footage. One was off a push to the wide FH and the quality of my opening loop was possibly one of my best ever. It was during a serve and receive drill. And usually when I get a wide, short ball like that on the FH side, I go cross court with a big angle. But I have been thinking about trying to open around the net on those.

Anyway, I blasted it. It had a ton of spin. And it skidded. It was too fast to roll. But it was awesome. Especially because the push kind of was not what I was expecting. But I read it and cut off the angle and really hit a shot that made my day.

The one yesterday was while practicing loop against block. But it was really good because the ball hit the edge of my training partner's racket and it was just a really weird ball that was a mistake. Often on shots like that, I fail to read it correctly and just mess up. And with this one, I just read it and responded perfectly. Not as good as the one during serve and receive practice. But it sure looked impressive and felt great.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl has been recently inspired and enamored by the awesumness of the around the net BH shots and has been covertly and overtly practicing them.

Carl is proud to land his shots and they can come when others are not expecting, yet he doesn't have the camera on when he hits most of these.

Carl knows the impact dynamics, but what is different is his willingness to attempt the shot and his recently much improved superior positioning to be in a good spot to have leverage.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl has been recently inspired and enamored by the awesumness of the around the net BH shots and has been covertly and overtly practicing them.

Carl is proud to land his shots and they can come when others are not expecting, yet he doesn't have the camera on when he hits most of these.

Carl knows the impact dynamics, but what is different is his willingness to attempt the shot and his recently much improved superior positioning to be in a good spot to have leverage.

Footage would be good. I want some more footage of myself.

BTW: BH, I'm not comfortable going around the net. I've done it but not actually on purpose or in pressure situations.

These two FH around the net shots made me feel like a....I want to say....BOSS. [emoji2]

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I lost two matches in league by nets on Friday... one with a net at duece point in 5th, and another game where we had 8 duece points and opponent got 5 nets to stay in it and later get me.

I really hate the net, but this has been a theme of 2016 with me. I am a net victim.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I play everyday with the master of net and edges ... his name is Frank and I have started to call all such shots Frankies ... acknowledging its a pure skill ... however, on a serious note, my conspiracy theory is that because the plastic ball is more rigid its going through the net more ...
I lost two matches in league by nets on Friday... one with a net at duece point in 5th, and another game where we had 8 duece points and opponent got 5 nets to stay in it and later get me.

I really hate the net, but this has been a theme of 2016 with me. I am a net victim.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I've often heard "the better player gets more nets" which is what I say when my opponent apologizes for their net. I've also heard "the nets and edges all even out". this is simply not true though, someone who's ball tends to be higher over the net surely won't get as many nets as a player who's ball is close to the top of the net. And a player who hits most their shots near the end-line probably would get more edges than a player who doesn't hit near the end-line.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I get a lot of nets in the short game. I'd be lying if I said I'm aiming for them, but my pushes ARE low enough for it to happen, so...

Better player gets more nets has some truth to it, I think.

So if a bad player plays you only in the long game you'll get less nets? And if that bad player's strokes tend to go into the net a lot they'll probably get more to trickle over than you.

Hitting the net for my game, means I'm lacking control on that stroke. When I play someone that's bad I almost never hit the net. Everyone's game is different, some styles will tend to get more nets or edges than others.

you getting a lot of nets in the short game to me sounds like if they added even the slightest bit more under spin, you'd go right into the net and fail to get it over

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
you getting a lot of nets in the short game to me sounds like if they added even the slightest bit more under spin, you'd go right into the net and fail to get it over

+1 for this.

Archo, any experienced enough player probably will over-estimate underspin rather than under-estimating it (except in serves). This is because when they do pushes, they're not only trying to return the ball but also trying to add rotation to the ball.

Watch the pro players. They're more likely to push a ball that actually has light underspin causing the ball to just jump straight up

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My theory on nets is, I go around the net whenever I can. And so do the best players. That is the real way to avoid getting nets.

[edit: Oh, wait, someone told me I'm supposed to add a smiley face: [emoji83] Is that the right one?]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Carl , that was a typical example of "Derrish" humor :rolleyes:
My theory on nets is, I go around the net whenever I can. And so do the best players. That is the real way to avoid getting nets.

[edit: Oh, wait, someone told me I'm supposed to add a smiley face: [emoji83] Is that the right one?]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Any tips on chopping? I was an attacker but discovered I was really good at hard bat. I'm trying short pips but am discovering it has less effect than long, long just doesn't seem to suit my stroke tho. Maybe I should try an inverted defensive rubber? I want to still attack the F/H. Any advice from good choppers would be brilliant!