Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Had an interesting weekend. I played a local event, U2150 and Open. In the U2150, I was the B player in my group. Thr A player came late so I played the D player first, a guy with pips whose game I was familiar with from friendly matches. Then the C player played the D player and won as well. We were both about to play but then the A player showed up and played the C player. I was supposed to play the A player next but they decided to move the B vs C match to another table so the A player could play the D player and we could get more matches going on at the same time. Not a big deal, though I didn't like it.

The C player used a Koji Matsushita blade with Tenergy 05 forehand, Dawei Saviga V OX backhand. Since the A player had beaten him 3-1, I felt we would have a tough match and that I just needed to play my game. I won the first game but started to struggle more with his variation. But I never felt completely out of control other than my loss of consistency in the face of his variation. With many ups and downs. he won the next two games and I decide to play his forehand a bit more since his technique wasn't given to attacking backspin balls with it (he mostly relied on the pips to attack backspin). I got it to 2-2 and without video, I can't be sure what happened but I managed to get to 9-6 in the 5th and then I mindlessly served into the net. Then there was a point that had we had an umpire, it would have been a let (ball from another court), but I failed to call it immediately so it was 9-8. And just like that we entered the deuce cycle. We both had match points but then down match point, I served a long no spin serve with my backhand and it drifted off the table... WTF!

So I go on to lose to the A player, who is on the Texas Wesleyan back up team, and that was it for the U2150. I couldn't defend my seeding. I lost to a pips player. Oh well, gotta go rest and prepare for the open in the afternoon. Maybe watch friends play and cheer them on. But then something interesting happened.

The C-player who beat me beat an A player in the next round and then faced the #1 player in the event. The 1 player is a guy who used to be 2300+, has a low toss backhand serve with disguised spins and a brutal accurate third ball with powerful loops on both sides. He bashed the pips with his power in the first game. And lo and behold, I got a first hand lesson as an observer why players hate pips so much. You see the variation and consistency that my opponent used to come back against me had an even bigger effect against the powerful and quality balls of the #1 seed. His serve wad neutralized with pip bumps, his failed to attack behind the backspin bump thirdballs of the opponent and this sometimes popped the ball up or created a weak topspin that the pips player pivoted on and smashed with his forehand. In short order, the #1 rated player lost 1-3 to the C player. So hr wad on to the final, where he faced a junior who is up and coming in the state and almost 2100. And again. The pips troubled the junior as well as variation and the player won the event! So if you see me playing with Dawei Saviga V in OX and practicing diligently my pips blocks and hits, you now know why lol.

I lost to the 2100 junior in the Open but beat two young lefties who were significantly lower rated than I was. Then I lost to a 2300+ Texas Wesleyan player who used his "vs 1900" game.

I had a few takeaways. The biggest one wad that even without bending knees, there is some room to improve my movement. Also the collagen supplements make me feel better. Whether they have an actual health effect I don't know, I will be patient for the next few months to a year. Finally, I need to continue to work on just moving the ball around and varying my serve return, even if I sometimes pop up the ball. Unpredictability helps in TT.

Got some coaching today, working on building out a punch block and a forehand counter and smash, though the smash is the lowest priority except on high balls and the backhand punch is the highest priority as I don't want to be stuck looping all the time. We will see how it goes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Inspired by ML, I just ordered some H3N BS 40 for my FH and H3N OS 37 for the BH. Gonna try to use primarily reverse services and stand closer to the middle of the table as well. Let's see how that works out! The sponges should be lighter than D09c on both sides, so would help with transitions, something I'm gonna be working on a lot.

This user has no status.
Ordered myself some grip tape to try and make the handle just a little bit thicker. While I do love playing with my NACI, something eventually felt off when switching between FH and BH strokes. Took my old racket (currently being shared with my colleague at work) with a Donic Epox Offensiv blade in hand and immediately realised. I'd read about the small handle, but since my hands are pretty small I didn't think it'd be a problem. As it turns out, gripping a big handle still feels better! :LOL:

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Ordered myself some grip tape to try and make the handle just a little bit thicker. While I do love playing with my NACI, something eventually felt off when switching between FH and BH strokes. Took my old racket (currently being shared with my colleague at work) with a Donic Epox Offensiv blade in hand and immediately realised. I'd read about the small handle, but since my hands are pretty small I didn't think it'd be a problem. As it turns out, gripping a big handle still feels better! :LOL:
I like the handle thickness to be so that when I'm gripping it loose, my fingers would not touch the palm, but when I grip it tight, my middle finger would just touch my palm. I've found that to be the most comfortable without sacrificing flexibility in transitioning from FH to BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I had a great training session yesterday. I was hosting my in-laws and went to a wedding last week, so I hadn't played in about a week except for a session with the robot trying out the new FH form. Playing with a real person is very different, the much quicker speed of the returned ball plus the variations in spin, pace, and placement makes it so that I can't just focus entirely on the new form. It took a bit of time to start incorporating it into all my strokes, and I had some surprising findings.

First, the muscles activated were a but different than I thought. I immediately felt my left hip getting more work, this is surprising as the right hip is the one activated during the swing. Turns out that due to the increased right to left rotation, I had to use my left hip more at the end of the swing after the weight is transferred to my left side in order to stop the swing and recover. Secondly, my abs and back muscles were sore (in a good way), as this stroke as a whole activates my core muscles significantly more. Thirdly, when I really put power into it, I feel much more stress in my right ankle as it turns and then kicks off.

Second, I found that my shot now has naturally a bit more brush, and a bit less sidespin. I had to do some trial and error to find how to get a thicker contact. If I change nothing else except with the new form and a thicker contact, the ball just shoots way out. By the end of the session I could approach the consistency of my previous stroke, but it's not quite there yet. The less sidespin is also a bit surprising. I think this is because previously I had to do more rotation with my shoulder/arm, swinging it around, so that motion imparts sidespin to the ball. Now that I'm using my body to do the rotation my shoulder/arm can aim more forward, resulting in less sidespin, but increased topspin. My partner had more trouble blocking my shots, sending a lot of them long, I think due to the increased topspin.

Third, I found that this motion was more applicable to more situations. I've been having issues with balls that are returned a bit higher than I expect. I often had to lift my elbow to loop it back, which is bad form and leads to inconsistency. I tried fixing it with my stance, adjusting up and down, but when the ball comes quick that's not fast enough. Turns out, with this form, I could loop those balls just fine, with excellent consistency and no intentional adjustment. It's no issue dealing with lower balls either.

For the BH practice, I also made some nice discoveries. I've found myself whiff on the ball quite often when I try to amp up the power. When I don't whiff, I felt that I was often hitting with the trailing edge of the racket, or brushing a lot more than I intended. I tried a number of ways to fix that, different timing, lowering my starting racket position, going more forward with the stroke, different racket angles, etc. and nothing really helped. Turned out the fix was the easiest and most obvious one -- just try to hit the ball higher up the racket. I used the "overcompensate" method and tried to hit the ball with the leading edge of the racket instead, and all of a sudden the contact dramatically improved. I was launching BH drives with unprecedented power and consistency, and it felt sooooo good. It did lead to a few balls hit by the racket edge, but overall consistency was vastly better.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

• Gozo your blade is too fast!
  • Gozo your rubber is too fast! OK, Flextra here I come.
  • Gozo your stroke has no spin, it is mainly flat-hitting!
  • Gozo now make spin!
  • Gozo no more HULK SMASH.
  • Spin first then HULK SMASH!
  • FH Spin = checked.
  • BH Spin = checked.

But sometimes I get countered by a good block. It is all part of the game. Cest'la vie!

p/s: Flextra is not slow at all. It is pretty fast and can make the resulting ball be rather spinny when properly topspin'ed.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
View attachment 29551

View attachment 29552
  • Gozo now make spin!
  • FH Spin = checked.
  • BH Spin = checked.

View attachment 29553
But sometimes I get countered by a good block. It is all part of the game. Cest'la vie!

p/s: Flextra is not slow at all. It is pretty fast and can the resulting ball can be rather spinny when properly topspin'ed.
I like the spinny opening loops you're doing now, it's indeed setting up your smashes very well. Because you have a fairly short motion, and fast equipment where you can still generate good speed, I think you actually can get away with not moving much. With some practice, you should be able to get solid opening loops in even when you're out of position.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It's been a busy week for me at work, so I hadn't played since my practice on Tuesday until today. I mostly focused on the same things as the last practice, which is the new motion FH loop and the BH drive. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the new FH loop motion now, able to generate very good quality with solid consistency. The BH drive is getting better now too, just needs more practice. Adding just a tad bit of body usage on the BH side adds a good bit of quality and consistency, so I'm trying to do that, and also to keep my feet moving. I'm pretty good with that on the FH side, but on the BH side I'm kinda stuck in one place, so need to work that into my practices.

I also found my fitness band. I don't like wearing appendages, so hadn't used it for quite a while and then forgot where I placed it. I wore it today and it seems like I get pretty tired out when my HR hits 170, which happens on FH loop drills. During my BH practice I mostly kept my HR in the 130's. Overall my watch says I burned >1100 calories in 2 hours! Pretty good work out.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I like the spinny opening loops you're doing now, it's indeed setting up your smashes very well. Because you have a fairly short motion, and fast equipment where you can still generate good speed, I think you actually can get away with not moving much. With some practice, you should be able to get solid opening loops in even when you're out of position.
FH open up: status complete

BH open up: work in progress... loading ( 80% complete )

when BH open up is complete, he he he Gozo the two wing looper.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Tough weekend. Played TX State Champs. 4 events (over 30, over 40, u2000 and u2200). Got 3rd place in over 30 and over 40, got eliminated in U2200 and U2000 by a training partner who had never beaten me prior to eliminating me in those events (I beat him in the 040 quarters before he beat me twice, 3-2 scores in all the matches). Lost in the o30 semis to a 3-1 to a defender after going up 1-0, 10-4. It is crazy how just the memory of the loss doesn't hurt but the description is unforgettable. Makes me understand even better how hard it is for a player to take a timeout when losing a big lead.

Takeaways - I need to continue to work on my.movement - unfortunately my coach is on. BReak from school so I need to find another coach or just figure out how to build out something regardless. Also to work on a confident and powerful down the line loop with fade mechanics. Most of my work is definitely for my forehand and footwork, my backhand did great things, I just have to also focus on reading the float vs the backspin ball better.

Lots of stories but too busy to share the details. And yes, 1-0, 10-4 to losing sucks...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Tough weekend. Played TX State Champs. 4 events (over 30, over 40, u2000 and u2200). Got 3rd place in over 30 and over 40, got eliminated in U2200 and U2000 by a training partner who had never beaten me prior to eliminating me in those events (I beat him in the 040 quarters before he beat me twice, 3-2 scores in all the matches). Lost in the o30 semis to a 3-1 to a defender after going up 1-0, 10-4. It is crazy how just the memory of the loss doesn't hurt but the description is unforgettable. Makes me understand even better how hard it is for a player to take a timeout when losing a big lead.

Takeaways - I need to continue to work on my.movement - unfortunately my coach is on. BReak from school so I need to find another coach or just figure out how to build out something regardless. Also to work on a confident and powerful down the line loop with fade mechanics. Most of my work is definitely for my forehand and footwork, my backhand did great things, I just have to also focus on reading the float vs the backspin ball better.

Lots of stories but too busy to share the details. And yes, 1-0, 10-4 to losing sucks...
After reading the long story, I guess you moved to TX?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
One technique that I have been practicing for the past two weeks is the initial footwork before receive. I used to bounce my feet without moving similar to Ito, but I learned the technique from QSB to move my right foot (right handed) one small step when the server contacts the ball. It really helps on starting and most importantly, it helps focusing on looking at the contact of the serve and getting better timing for moving.

This user has no status.
View attachment 29551

View attachment 29552
  • Gozo now make spin!
  • FH Spin = checked.
  • BH Spin = checked.

View attachment 29553

p/s: Flextra is not slow at all. It is pretty fast and can the resulting ball can be rather spinny when properly topspin'ed.
I cant believe this Hinoki blade, this somehow makes Flextra look fast and spinny??!! This is kinda a feat lol...

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I cant believe this Hinoki blade, this somehow makes Flextra look fast and spinny??!! This is kinda a feat lol...
so next time some dude says Flextra or those ol'skool rubber being slow and all, show them my reel and tell them slow my foot!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
so next time some dude says Flextra or those ol'skool rubber being slow and all, show them my reel and tell them slow my foot!
It's an impressive shot, well done - it doesn't really make flextra fast, but it is an impressive shot. Are you using flextra on both forehand and backhand now?

• Love
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
It's an impressive shot, well done - it doesn't really make flextra fast, but it is an impressive shot. Are you using flextra on both forehand and backhand now?
IMG_8583.jpeg

Sir! Yes, Sir!

This user has no status.
That hinoki is a bit crazy then...it seems way bouncier than my Viscaria tbh which is already very bouncy! I have no idea how you played it with Tenergy last time, it must have been like steering a rocketship. Also how do you even do short pushes using that setup lol, i think it would be so difficult to control...