December 2011 World Rankings!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yup, it's true. But TT is not like tennis where it's a "full" pro kind of sport. In tennis you can choose your partner, not the nation/country that chooses your partner. So it's common to have partners from other nations. In tennis you have your own managers, own PA, own coach, own medic, own physiotherapist even your own dietitian and stringers (like Pete Sampras). Your country only chooses your partner in Feds Cup and Davis Cup, or any other cup tournaments that involves the country. Otherwise, these tennis players will have to travel with their entourage on their own, not being supported by his/her country.

So, for Chen Qi to partner Ma Long or any players for that matter, it is not his call, it's Liu's call, the country.

I saw some qualifier action at the Seoul Jamsil TT venue at a women's pro tour. Some South African woman was playing a lady from Japan (and won) while her Chech doubles partner was cheering.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Great to see Dima in the Top 10 I'm interested to see how high he can go. I think Ma Lin should be lower, he did have big losses. Not surprised to see Samsonov sliding out of there unfortunately :S

Must've missed that because I'm perplexed to see Joo getting a higher rank lol
Congrats to Dima, his hard work has been paid off at last but his journey as a young player is still very long.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Top 5 is now finally as I think it should be. Ovtcharov into the top 10 is great, I'm curious of his performance next year. Same goes for Koki Niwa and the other young players.

Its great to see Dima in the top 10! :) Lets hope he can push higher and dominate the Chinese more.

Its a shame to see Samsonov out of the top 10. First time since 1995!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Its great to see Dima in the top 10! :) Lets hope he can push higher and dominate the Chinese more.

Its a shame to see Samsonov out of the top 10. First time since 1995!

Hey Dan, does this mean you have access to ranking lists from before January 2001?
I've been on the lookout for such lists. If you can direct me to them I'd be most grateful :)

This user has no status.
The most impressive leap, (in the top 50) for the season so far must be; Kirill Skachkov! Who through some impressive performances during the fall and early winter has climbed, no less than 16 placements. From 49 to 33. Rest assured, this young russian took a set from Ma Long this fall and is on the roll. It will be interesting to see just how far it can take him, this season. Based on the courage the young russian has shown earlier, im betting on some further 5-8 placements. Thou it will probably need more than stealing a few sets from well-placed chinese.

Not to mention Lin Gaoyuan, who made a slightly more impressive effort. But he's from china.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I'm so glad Samsonov is out of the top 10. He hasn't been at that skill level for a very long time now. He's been in the top 10 specifically because he's been playing against some much lower rated players and beating them only keeps his rating where it is. He was getting pretty lucky there not playing anyone too tough until Liam came along and upset him. Now it's just a matter of whether he'll try and climb back up towards the 10 or 11 spot.

Dima's been doing well and deserves to be in the top 10 his mental fitness has been pretty high lately. All in all I think that this ranking is pretty on par. Timo might be a little higher than he's been playing lately, but that would be due to his injuries. If it keeps up I suspect we'll have an all Chinese line up from 1st to 6th.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I think Samsonov has got nothing else to prove. He's been there and done it. He got nothing to prove to anyone or himself. He still enjoys his TT, but probably not as competitive as he used to be. He knows it's time for the young guns to come up the rank and take his place.

Der Echte : I saw some qualifier action at the Seoul Jamsil TT venue at a women's pro tour. Some South African woman was playing a lady from Japan (and won) while her Chech doubles partner was cheering.

It's true buddy. It does happen occasionally, partners from different nationals, usually in qualifying stages. Most commonly this happens when the individual player travels on his own to participate a tournament, usually the represent a club rather than their country. So they just hook up with another player there, and play the qualifying matches. I did it quite a number of times myself, partnering players from China, Vietnam, Japan and Indonesia. Though they may sometimes wear a jersey with their country written on the back, they went on their own capacity, not the country. They are representing their clubs most of the time.

It happens in badminton too. Tony Gunawan (now US) partnering Chandra Wijaya (Indonesia) to win the Korean Open, Japan Open and Japan Grand Prix in 2007.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Maybe its a tad late but who knows that Yuto Muramatsu's leap is one of the biggest in table tennis rankings recently ;)
He is a short pips chopper who is using TSP Spinpips on his backhand. 95% inverted! He was an inverted chopper too. Awesome!

http://www.ittfranking.com/cgi-bin/ttplayer.cgi?number=115439&lang=0&format=detailed4

pl115439.png

His rank is 162 this December, a 51 rank leap from last month! Which is amazing :)
Man I have great hopes for him :D