Desperate cry for blade advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Hello to you all, i am new and its my first post ever to a forum. So, i just asking if you could suggest me a blade to fit my style although i am not an expert in blades characteristics. to help you a little i ll tell what i have been using and what was the problem with my previous set ups.
I have used for a year or more stiga intencity carbon witch was so far the blade closest to my style and my hand's playing. but it was a little to hard at some points, i loved the power of it and the speed but it had that stiga feeling which is weird in comparison with other blades and also low throw on looping/ then i tried timo boll spirit but althought its full of control it lacks power from far from the table and its soft so soft same goes for timo boll zlc. and now i m using dhs pg9 but man that even harder from stiga and u need chinese looping to play properly such a blade.
so now im just lost what to choose cause i sold my stiga and i m left with the dhs. any suggeestions?

(p.s. sorry for the long text)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Try a really heavy Viscaria or Boll Spirit/ALC (95g). They play completely differently and might be what you are looking for.

While searching for my current blade, I tried three different Boll ALC blades (light (84g), medium (89g), heavy (94g)) and the heavier one was much harder and had so much more zip. It even had a different sound. I liked the 89g one the best though but it seems like you will like the heavier ones more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Myself i have andro kinetic record off and is ligth also try to find some rubber as ligth as possible
This blade is just wood 5 ply and if you want something ligther you gonna have to look for balsa blade like thibar patrick chila and thibar carbon ligth if you want something fast !!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, 95 grams is a great weight for a blade. Most of the top pros use something between 90-95 grams. It gives you more inertia behind your stroke.

When I was a kid I swung a 44" baseball bat. Those old wooden tennis rackets weighed a lot more than 95 grams too. I've never understood why TT amateurs are afraid of a 200-220 gram (total weight) set up.

But you could also look at the Schlager Carbon, the Primorac Carbon or the all new Garaydia T5000. Those and the Akrasia should be fast enough. [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: phamster
This user has no status.
Carbonado 145, 190 (have a 80-ish gram one), ZLF or ZLC even SZLC blades from Butterfly (I use Photino which is fast but probably to soft for you). All wood blades that is a bit harder, maybe Rosewood or a heavy Clipper? Looked on the faster blades from Donic?

PS. I tried a Mizutani SZLC for a couple of months, hahahaha:cool: I couldn't hit the table;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
i echo Carl's advice... in Physics, the F=MA (force = mass x acceleration) so the mass is important thing..

my clippers are 97, and 95 grams, i had a rosewood 7 nct, and it was also 97, all all these blades have that MASS behind a swing, no matter what rubbers your using, the hit had some SOUL behind it..

so trust me pick what ever brand you want, but make sure the blade it self is 95 grams or heavier... also when you first start with a heavy set up, you will notice it in the first 2 mins, but after that session your be full adjusted.. and they your body will adjust over time.. and your balls that you hit will be very heavy and satisfying..

also when you have a heavy set up.. blocking is much easier... your blocks can be mis hits and still go where you want.. you don't have to be so perfect on them.. also when you play a player that hits a solid ball your racket won't react adversely, it will be able to absorb that fast incoming ball with out deflection.. due to the extra mass.

well that is my 2 cents bit of advise... gotta go.. training with the seemillers now..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I actually disagree with Carl on recommended weight. Yes a heavier blade will technically give you more stability and force behind your strokes. But for me, it's not worth it. I'm not in the greatest physical shape (pretty lanky), and adding another 5-10 grams that you'll be lifting for 1000 strokes can really add up. I simply can't get the raquet to accelerate quick enough to go through the ball properly after a couple matches. My prefered blade weight is 83-86grams.

EDIT: After thinking a bit more about this, I've decided that heavier would be better if you plan on getting in shape and pursuing table tennis in a long-run situation.

But if you're the kind of player that practices frequently but DOESN'T plan on working out as well, I think the lighter models of the same blades would be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I tried the tibhar cca7 unlimited carboand i couldnt put anything inside the table ! Too much power for my low nivel

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've got a few friends who are always fussing about the weight of their blades. On doesn't want anything above 85 grams which is in some ways a reasonable weight. The other guy wants blades under 75 grams. His blade is actually 69 grams. Now, the truth is, his blade is kind of magical. But not because of the weight. An Off- 5 ply Hinoki blade that is that thin and has that much flex has a totally unique and beautiful feel. But for years I thought that a weight over 88 grams was no good. And when I had this Clipper that felt awesome but was 95 grams, I was told by lots of people, it feels great but it's too heavy. Now I realize that a good part of why it felt so good was the weight.

At some point after I realized that more weight, to a certain extent, was better, I tried this blade that Der_Echte modified to add 35 grams to the handle. This blade is 120 grams. I think the total weight of the setup was around 220 grams. And it felt, not only a fine weight, it felt really good. Okay, the extra weight was in the handle. But, still, it was 120 grams and felt totally sweet. It made me laugh about the whole thing about people being concerned about a few grams here or there on the weight of their setup. My blade weighs 91 grams and when I first started using it, my previous blade weighed 85, it took an hour for the weight to feel okay, and another day for it to feel totally normal. But now when I use that 85 gram Virtuoso, it feels like a feather. And I much prefer the extra solidity and inertia behind the ball.

There is a range of weight that is going to be good for most people. I think between 80-100 grams is actually a reasonable weight range for most people but for each it will be a little different. Blades that are on the lighter side of that will not feel or play as well. Ones on the heavier side of that weight range will play and feel better. But there is a weight where the acceleration and recover will become a little too slow. I just think that weight is higher than most people are convinced it is.

But the real issue for the OP is actually what NextLevel said:

If TBS and TB ZLC are too slow for you, you are probably too good to be posting here.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't think its the weight that is the issue its the balance of the whole setup . Some blades are head heavy and then tend to feel heavier when you put rubbers on it, in fact lighter blades with light handles will feel the same way while certain others like TBS have more weight towards the handle and it feels lighter . So its more about the balance and what kind of rubbers you want to put on. For me personally, I just feel it for the first few minutes and then I can get adjusted to it

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
If TBS and TB ZLC are too slow for you, you are probably too good to be posting here.

I thought I said to soft for me in terms of feeling and tbspirit it doesn't have a lot of power from far from the table in comparison with the intensity carbon with was great at this point. That's all don't get me wrong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I thought I said to soft for me in terms of feeling and tbspirit it doesn't have a lot of power from far from the table in comparison with the intensity carbon with was great at this point. That's all don't get me wrong.

Okay, I think I better understand you now - so you like really hard outer plies (like walnut or rosewood) since I have never really considered koto soft. How far back from the table are we speaking about here and how often do you end up there when rallying?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
if you thought about this song reading this thread, then you, are the best human who has ever lived

Endless empty maze
despair, distress and silence
a poison vacuum, infinity
life, lies, deceit
Mute souls end in silence
oceans tainted with blood
empty promises of hope
buried deep, infected ground
Creation of insane rule
all we hear:
desperate cry

Last edited: