DHS H3 and all versions

I've tried them all. And I believe H3 pro neo BS 39 is the best all around rubber for FH in terms of price/quality/durability/playability for amateurs. If you want harder rubber, can try H40 H41 but that takes quite some more of effort to play.
I agree completely. Personally, I have used H3 commercial orange sponge 39 degrees for 5+ years. Three months ago, upgraded to H3 neo blue sponge 39 degree. And I am done.

In between I got seduced into buying a sheet of H3 national orange sponge. I did not feel that that sheet is anything special.

It is pretty simple actually. Always start with H3 commercial orange sponge 39 degree. If you like it, then eventually upgrade to H3 neo provincial blue sponge 39 degree. And you are done.

If you something harder then go to 40 or 41 degree. Enough said. End of discussion.

I don't see the need to pay up for National blue sponge or Player's version.

I agree completely. Personally, I have used H3 commercial orange sponge 39 degrees for 5+ years. Three months ago, upgraded to H3 neo blue sponge 39 degree. And I am done.

In between I got seduced into buying a sheet of H3 national orange sponge. I did not feel that that sheet is anything special.

It is pretty simple actually. Always start with H3 commercial orange sponge 39 degree. If you like it, then eventually upgrade to H3 neo provincial blue sponge 39 degree. And you are done.

If you something harder then go to 40 or 41 degree. Enough said. End of discussion.

I don't see the need to pay up for National blue sponge or Player's version.
I have to ask You. Does the blue sponge have a higher speed potential? And in this case is it easier accessible?

The reason I am asking is I’m playing with H3 provincial 39 OS. I have to hit so hard from position 3 that I’m worried about my shoulder… It would be nice to get a little bit more for free 😁

Cheers
L-zr

On the serious side.

If I compare prices I can now see, that there are more and more offers, where pricing between H3 national and H3 Neo provincial are only a couple of bucks (50 EUR for national vs. 40 EUR for Neo prov).

Should I now get the national version? I play the prov version right now and feel comfortable with it.

Until start of season there is still some time, but I plan to buy a set for the next season and was wondering if should go for the national regular H3.

I have to ask You. Does the blue sponge have a higher speed potential? And in this case is it easier accessible?

The reason I am asking is I’m playing with H3 provincial 39 OS. I have to hit so hard from position 3 that I’m worried about my shoulder… It would be nice to get a little bit more for free 😁

Cheers
L-zr
I don't know how you play but you should give blue sponge a try (and blue sponge is only available from provincial level and up).

I feel that orange sponge, when boosted the heck out of it, it has this springy, ESN tensor-type of feel to it but yet it is not tensor. That's why some people, when going down on the hurricane route on the forehand, cannot go back and play with tensor or Tenergy on that side.

I have tried boosting my blue sponge and it did not curl up in the same way as orange sponge. However, I am still on my first set of blue sponge sheets so I have not boosted it for the second time yet. My first time playing is that blue sponge feels a bit "dead" but then once you start hitting harder, its top speed potential is higher than orange sponge.

So now I prefer blue sponge than even say national orange sponge.

But heck some people still buy national orange sponge so they are seeing something I don't see. In addition, it is true that orange sponge is easier to play with on the backhand (again because orange sponge feels more springy when you hit the ball at lower speed, the ball just kind of "catapults" out. You don't get that same effect with blue sponge).

So I think everyone should give both orange sponge and blue sponge a shot and see which one they like better. I am pretty settled on the blue sponge.

Reactions: Lazer
@Lazer...Maybe time to work on your wrist action/timing. If you try to gain speed through your shoulder, you are on the wrong path...
Absolutely correct, My swing is long and timing the wrist is difficult at that speed. I tend to shorten the swing close to the table…

From position 3 I miss Tenergy05, but I don’t spend too much time there and H3 is soooo much better close to the table.
Can’t have everything 😁

I don't know how you play but you should give blue sponge a try (and blue sponge is only available from provincial level and up).

I feel that orange sponge, when boosted the heck out of it, it has this springy, ESN tensor-type of feel to it but yet it is not tensor. That's why some people, when going down on the hurricane route on the forehand, cannot go back and play with tensor or Tenergy on that side.

I have tried boosting my blue sponge and it did not curl up in the same way as orange sponge. However, I am still on my first set of blue sponge sheets so I have not boosted it for the second time yet. My first time playing is that blue sponge feels a bit "dead" but then once you start hitting harder, its top speed potential is higher than orange sponge.

So now I prefer blue sponge than even say national orange sponge.

But heck some people still buy national orange sponge so they are seeing something I don't see. In addition, it is true that orange sponge is easier to play with on the backhand (again because orange sponge feels more springy when you hit the ball at lower speed, the ball just kind of "catapults" out. You don't get that same effect with blue sponge).

So I think everyone should give both orange sponge and blue sponge a shot and see which one they like better. I am pretty settled on the blue sponge.
I will try blue sponge, I have a sheet. Another thing I haven’t tried the commercial OS even yet, will do that too.

Thanks

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: longle and JJ Ng
says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews

Cheers
L-zr
BS has denser sponge so it requires harder stroke to engage, hence bigger power output, suitable for FH.
OS can release the power quicker, it's more suitable for BH

Reactions: JJ Ng and Lazer
BS has denser sponge so it requires harder stroke to engage, hence bigger power output, suitable for FH.
My BH requires some catapult and speed so Chinese style rubber is out…
Donic Bluegrip or Accuda S2 works fine.
H3 is for FH.
You say BS is more dense that implies more weight. Hmm OK we shall see.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: longle
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014

Cheers
L-zr
Have you tried 40 degree? Its for sure a bit harder and heavier than 39, but I felt 39 #20 to be a little unsupportive if I tried stepping away from the table whereas 40 #20 offers a stronger response and more support even at similar impact. The tradeoff is that harder versions have lower arc/a bit less easy access to grip the less active you are with it.

My BH requires some catapult and speed so Chinese style rubber is out…
Donic Bluegrip or Accuda S2 works fine.
H3 is for FH.
You say BS is more dense that implies more weight. Hmm OK we shall see.

Cheers
L-zr
Just weighed the OS and BS same hardness same thickness in the package. The BS was 4grams heavier so I figure 3grams mounted. Not too bad actually.

Cheers
L-zr

Have you tried 40 degree? Its for sure a bit harder and heavier than 39, but I felt 39 #20 to be a little unsupportive if I tried stepping away from the table whereas 40 #20 offers a stronger response and more support even at similar impact. The tradeoff is that harder versions have lower arc/a bit less easy access to grip the less active you are with it.
No I have not. I will try the blue sponge first. I don’t spend so much time far behind so I can live with it short term. Just need to be careful with my shoulder.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
That is exactly how I feel as well. When I boost the heck out of the orange sponge, it has a certain catapult effect but not too much.

I have lightly boosted my blue sponge. When it is time to re-boost, I will try boosting one blue sponge sheet by quite a bit and see how it reacts.

I just would not use H3, orange sponge or blue sponge alike, on my backhand. I am used to the catapulty ESN rubbers there so I cannot use any chinese rubber there at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
it's true. weight impacts heavily on your playing style. I use H39 for it's lightness, tried H41, it's heavy af and hurt my wrist
That's because you are cpen player, always use wrist. Try use more your body weight to make stroke will save your wrist. But that's depending on your body physics status. I change from cpen to shakehand because that.

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
That's because you are cpen player, always use wrist. Try use more your body weight to make stroke will save your wrist. But that's depending on your body physics status. I change from cpen to shakehand because that.
yes I prefer using wrist but still the body must be the base to generate force for Chinese rubber, H39 is softer but it's still relatively hard compares to other tensor :p this is how I do the FH, do you think I use too much wrist?

Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
yes I prefer using wrist but still the body must be the base to generate force for Chinese rubber, H39 is softer but it's still relatively hard compares to other tensor :p this is how I do the FH, do you think I use too much wrist?

View attachment 29975
Looks like you are using your arm more since your arm is already swinging out before you finish your body rotation.

Wrist motion wise, I think you have very good wrist motion since there doesn't seem to be any excessive motion, very fluid

• Love
Reactions: JJ Ng and longle

View attachment 29975
great technique you have. Any chance you have matches recorded? Would be great to see that FH in play :)

Reactions: JJ Ng and longle
says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023

View attachment 29975
You are still young so don't worry, I played cpen 20+ years , we will feel the same pain of the wrist.

• Sad