Donic OTC Inner for daughter (20yrs)

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Hello, I play tabletennis a lot with my daughter, half a year now we joined a club, and she's still playing on a borrowed/given blade ..
The blade is from the '80s (yes, Donic couldn't find anything about the blade when I asked them) with second hand Stiga DNS Pro h rubbers on it.
She mentioned she wanted to buy new rubbers.
She likes to fh loop and backhand flick and we have all the basic swings in reasonably in check, pushing looping blocking.. ok.. blocking is still a thing for her and she just is making good progress serving.

I saw a sale online for a Donic Original True Carbon Inner, almost 30% of the price and I read reviews that this blade has good control. Though it's also fast (1371 hz).
I thought of pairing this blade with Andro GTT45 also available for a reduced price at the store. 1.8mm and 2.0 mm thickness.

Is this a reasonable combo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
No I am sorry, don´t buy a carbon blade. Buy a slow 5-ply blade with beginner rubbers ex. Donic Appelgren Allplay or Stiga Allround Classic. Rubbers Stiga Mantra Control or maybe Mark V.
Hello, I play tabletennis a lot with my daughter, half a year now we joined a club, and she's still playing on a borrowed/given blade ..
The blade is from the '80s (yes, Donic couldn't find anything about the blade when I asked them) with second hand Stiga DNS Pro h rubbers on it.
She mentioned she wanted to buy new rubbers.
She likes to fh loop and backhand flick and we have all the basic swings in reasonably in check, pushing looping blocking.. ok.. blocking is still a thing for her and she just is making good progress serving.

I saw a sale online for a Donic Original True Carbon Inner, almost 30% of the price and I read reviews that this blade has good control. Though it's also fast (1371 hz).
I thought of pairing this blade with Andro GTT45 also available for a reduced price at the store. 1.8mm and 2.0 mm thickness.

Is this a reasonable combo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
If your daughter has talent and potential and she's going to be coached profesionally an ALC blade would be what you would get her. If you plan to just casually play with her with no plans on getting her into competitive table tennis an inexpensive 5 ply all wood like the Yasaka Sweden Extra would do just fine. Other wise you can get both an ALC blade and the YSE and see which she prefers and you get the other racket. You have not mentioned if your daughter is a child is more grown but if she has the strength to hit the ball harder, then you would want a rubber that is at least medium hard 47.5 ESN for the current plastic ball. XIOM Vega Intro is a good modern beginner rubber that I have little reservation in recommending.

Reactions: riemsesy
says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
I realize with the title of my topic that it gives room for interpretation.
My daughter is 20 years, so not a child but still
good idea.. get a wooden blade and an alc (I have already) and let her try
about the rubber hardness, I thought that as a beginner the softer rubbers are more suitable?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Softness/Hardness of rubber is relative to the ball and style you want to play with. The average hardness of rubbers that people are using have gone up due to the adoption of the plastic ball and the harder you can hit, the harder the rubber you want to use because bottoming out on the blade tends to cause non-linear confidence sapping behaviour from the blade. A beginner with rubbers that is too soft will find it hard to learn and dial in strokes like counters and loops if they can put power into the strokes.

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Softness/Hardness of rubber is relative to the ball and style you want to play with. The average hardness of rubbers that people are using have gone up due to the adoption of the plastic ball and the harder you can hit, the harder the rubber you want to use because bottoming out on the blade tends to cause non-linear confidence sapping behaviour from the blade. A beginner with rubbers that is too soft will find it hard to learn and dial in strokes like counters and loops if they can put power into the strokes.
Thnx for sharing this knowledge

Somewhat use does soft sponge have nowadays?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
It's good for those who can't or don't loop hard as part of their gameplay style. The soft sponge optimizes for softer strokes but will have tradeoffs elsewhere.

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
About rubbers, it is all preference. Most people prefer medium (47.5d) on both sides. If you prefer longer dwell time and saving the ball, softer sponge helps. If you prefer speed over spin harder rubbers are better. Of course you can still give a lot of spin with harder rubbers, that is why Hurricane 3 is so popular.