Drugs in Table Tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
(pasted from rfa.org [radio free asia, August 11, 2017])

A retired doctor who blew the whistle on the state-sponsored doping of Chinese gymnasts during the 1980s and 1990s has applied for political asylum in Germany after being persecuted by the authorities back home.

Xue Yinxian, who served as chief medical doctor to the Chinese gymnastics team during the 1980s, said that steroids and human growth hormones were regarded as part of the officially sponsored "scientific training" program as Chinese athletes began winning medals on a large scale.

Xue, who has hidden evidence overseas to support her allegations, said athletes were often injected with performance-enhancing drugs without their being told what they were being given. She first blew the whistle on the practice in a 2012 interview with Australia's Fairfax Media, telling reporters that staff members who refused to play along were marginalized. Xue's account, which came just before the London 2012 Olympics, was the first time anyone had publicly exposed the ruling Chinese Communist Party's direct involvement in the doping of athletes.

Previously, Beijing had always blamed personal ambition for a string of doping scandals to hit Chinese athletes during the 1990s. Now Xue, her son Yang Weidong and his wife Du Xing have arrived in Germany, citing continuing official persecution linked to her whistleblowing.

Studying stimulants Xue, who is now 79, quoted a top sports official as ordering trainers to include performance-enhancing drugs in their training regimes, saying that they were a "new thing" that should be used as part of China's new emphasis on the "scientific" training of athletes. "On Oct. 11, 1978, the deputy director ... of the General Administration of Sport addressed a plenary meeting, saying that if foreign athletes are using stimulants, then why not Chinese athletes?" Xue told RFA in a recent interview after arriving in Germany. "[He said we should] study the use of stimulants in athletes," she said. She said a sports doctor named Chen Zhanghao had been sent to France to learn how best to use the drugs, and he had come back recommending them as a way of combating burnout and exhaustion. "By the 1980s and 1990s, they were being used across the entire country," Xue said. "There were 11 national teams at the time, and the party secretary of the national teams training bureau Li Furong ordered all the athletes to take stimulants." "Anyone who opposed this was regarded as opposing the government and the party."

Chen Zhanghao later headed up a research group into doping, in which stimulants were referred to as "special nutritional medicine." "I was very opposed to it at the time, and they removed me from my post as head of the medical supervision team before 1984, although I still held on to my job in the gymnastics team," Xue recalled. "I wanted to stay on there to take care of the athletes' health, but I refused to give stimulants to Li Ning in 1988," she said. "I think I was a bit too naive, because all of the athletes who had won medals during the 1980s and 1990s were taking stimulants under the orders of Li Furong and Chen Zhanghao." The Chinese team was hit with a string of doping scandals during that era, in weightlifting, swimming, athletics, gymnastics and other teams targeting gold, she said.

On the one hand, Chinese sports officials were forcing their athletes to dope, while on the other studying ways to avoid detection in doping tests. But when they were found out, officials blamed the individuals and coaches and shrugged off responsibility, she said.

Seeking asylum The family is seeking asylum after their home was searched several times by state security police, who were looking for 68 professional diaries and work logs from Xue's time as an official team doctor. But Xue said she had already smuggled them out of the country several months earlier. Xue said she also fears official retaliation via the state-run Chinese healthcare system, after discovering that her personal doctor had been ordered to "prolong her treatment" for a recent illness, suggesting that her life and health may be in danger if she remains in China. Xue still isn't home and dry, however. Her son Yang Weidong told RFA that agents of the Chinese government is still trying to contact and threaten them in Germany, and the family has reported all such incidents to the German federal government.

Reported by Ng Yik-tung and Sing Man for RFA's Cantonese Service. Translated and edited by Luisetta Mudie.

Hmm. So the General Director of the Chinese Ministry of Sport is said to have said back in October 1978 in effect if those sneaky wai guei foreign jocks are all using dope then why can't we use dope too? So, Doc Chen Zhanghao was sent over to France to learn the best kind of '70s stuff available to avoid burnout and dog tiredness. And, if you were one of 10,000 or so national class Chinese jocks, you had to take this "special nutritional medicine" beginning at age 11 or there was no way you was gonna play.

Man. In 1970 I was 28 and not that bad of a ballplayer for an American. If Doc Chen and Li Furong (I wonder if that was the same Li Furong who duked it out with Zhuang Ze Dong in three World Championship singles finals) had had access to and could have come over the pond to Columbus and given me some of that there "special nutritional medicine", I mighta been a contenduh.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I know that Mondello when he wins against Persson, was under cocaine. Cocaine is probably the best drug for a table tennis player. Those who use cocaine in small quantities (up to 100 milligrams) feel euphoric, energetic, mentally active, paying particular attention to visual, auditory and tactile sensations.

I actually think coke makes you think you're the master of the universe, whereas outside observers just get to witness an irritating, inconsequential, tattering, clumsy, bumbling, fumbling concentration-deprived loony. I don't particular thinks it helps in the subtleties of timing, concentration and muscle relaxation/explosiveness.

Last edited:
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
yes I do
I know the story but at the end it proved, he is innocent

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think I had better wake some of you guys up. We are decades past the time in professional sports when the adage "innocent until proven guilty" applies. Way past. Whether it be betting scandals, rape scandals, or illegal drug scandals, professional sports has been neck deep in illegal activity for a long time. This is not unfounded accusations. Unfortunately, it is always years later that anyone pays for these crimes. So please stop acting all holier than thou and upholders of the law. We are way beyond that. If these sports figures, players, coaches, and sponsors had a shred of decency, they would simply speak the truth, and humble themselves about how much money they have made at what cost to millions of sports lovers. By not admitting all these scandals, there is a common coverup going on, and any mention is construed as vile, unfounded mudslinging. Awake yet? There is an adage thousands of years old, "follow the money" when doing any investigation. This is as true now as when it was first said. If you don't start with this, you will end up misled time and time again.

And yet in spite of your apparent hysteria there is no evidence that doping with PEDs is a pervasive problem in table tennis in the last twenty years. This is in marked contrast to quite a few other sports. If you know of facts that prove otherwise then present them. If they stand up to scrutiny you will convince us.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha, Baal just told her to show him the money...

Be careful about playing the guilty before innocent card... our modern governments over the years have gathered way too much central power, and our modern police forces are already pushy enough... do you really want to add fuel to the fire and have these entities have even MORE power to do stuff dirty?

Back 150 yrs ago, even if a mob gathered and hung someone for a crime that was the norm to be punishable by hanging, they were innocent before guilty... the trial occurred in public opinion and dude was convicted there.

Right or wrong, that worked back then. I don't think many of us will believe such an approach will work now.

I really do not know the answer either, but following the money, whether in bribery or research funding or whatever is a good approach.

Given enough time and data, one can look at who gained position, influence, power, money and the like in a matter and it is much easier to sift out the bullcrap to get to motives and facts.

Not to downplay crony fraudulent sports authorities, but in our world, we have bigger fish to fry. Bring your figurative rope and your frypan.

Reactions: yoass
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Be careful about playing the guilty before innocent card... our modern governments over the years have gathered way too much central power, and our modern police forces are already pushy enough... do you really want to add fuel to the fire and have these entities have even MORE power to do stuff dirty?

Yes. We should never, never, never forget the fundamental imbalance between the individual and large organisations - be they "modern" nation states, classic monarchies or theocracies, large business corporations, or other upscale criminal organisations.
Repression is always lurking near.

We should also keep that quote, often attributed to (Armand Jean du Plessis de) Richelieu, apocryphal though it may be, about any few lines from an honest man providing sufficient grounds to hang him with in mind. Because it's true and at present this truth is certainly no less dangerous in today's increasingly Orwellian ‘total surveillance’ society than ever before.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In cycling of all sorts everyone knows that certain PEDs will make you better, especially EPO, glucocorticoids, and, to a lesser extent, testosterone. This is true for distance runners and other endurance athletes like swimmers where delivering oxygen to tissues is the key thing (also quicker recovery). In baseball everyone knows that testosterone makes you better. True also for weight lifting, and any sport that requires strength from massive muscles. In archery and shooting, drugs that slow your heart provide a performance advantage. The key is that everyone knows this, so people at many levels who are looking for performance advantages seek these things out.

In table tennis, at least in the US and Europe, the culture is a bit different. It really isn't clear that PEDs are helpful, and if so, which ones? Possibly testosterone for reasons that Carl mentioned, but again, it is not part of this sport's culture.

I would not rule out that at provincial facilities in China there may be use of PEDs. But there are very few cases of TT players testing positive anywhere in the world, which is in very marked contrast to a lot of other sports.

I am not saying that the ITTF and national TT federations are good or useful organizations. In fact I personally believe that ITTF under Adham Sharara was useless and corrupt and did many things to damage the sport. Are they like USA Gymnastics? Can't rule it out 100% but no rumors have ever surfaced. It is worth noting that most good junior players in the US stop playing at age 18 because everyone here knows there is no future in it.

Let me also comment on the theme of the OP's last two threads. if you wanted to pick a sport for your kids, this one is probably safer than most when you consider the aggregate of risks. I am a serious cyclist, but if my kids took up mountain biking I would certainly worry -- not just about the possible use of PEDs, but about the injuries from crashing (depending on which of the many mountain bike disciplines they were doing). I simply wouldn't allow my kids to do downhill or Enduro racing. Road cycling is beset with PEDs. The even bigger problem for kids and pros alike is cars and crashes with resulting broken bones, etc. And to be honest, for many years I have considered that the kind of physical training young girls are subjected to in gymnastics approaches child abuse even without monsters like Larry Nassar. This includes the starvation diets used to delay menarche, for example, and also the orthopedic injuries. Ballet dancers too. Of course football and ice hockey cause head injuries to every player, the question is how severe?

When was the last time a TT player sustained a life-threatening injury playing our sport? Maybe hearing damage if you play against Harimoto or something. Here is one clue to consider. TT players have normal bodies. They don't look like the incredible hulk. They are not ripped like a 100 meter sprinter. They are not as emaciated as road cyclists. They are not children like Kerry Strug, still being urged to do a vault with a broken ankle. And they don't fall down or get hit in the head or push their body's endurance to the physiological limits.

So to the OP who is very concerned about safety and sees fit to lecture all of us who have been playing for decades and since we were children -- and whose kid wanted to be a professional mountain biker (!), I say this -- stop hyperventilating and get a sense of perspective and proportion.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Baal has IMO a proper holistic view.

To further articulate on my uttering of "We have bigger fish to fry" in the face of horrific events that are horrible and make people hysterical... It may sound like I am unconcerned, but it is more about making my concern more effective.

My main point being that yes, bad stuff is bad and rightfully gets people worried and all hysterical... but let's put it in a more big picture.

One example to use is the flu season. In USA, in the 4 months since Oct 2017, there have been 53 deaths (EDIT the number is CHILD deaths) attributed to the flu, according to a recent CNN news article on MSN. https://www.nigms.nih.gov/education/pages/factsheet_sepsis.aspx so, if we carry the numbers out for a full year, we get 159... to make things nice and round and even, let's bump it up to 200 to account for an increase. (EDIT - for Children)

The USA NIH says a million a year get it and 15-30% die from it... that is 150,000 to 300,000 a year die from Sepsis in USA. Let's get around the low end of 200,000, even if some other estimates are higher.https://www.nigms.nih.gov/education/pages/factsheet_sepsis.aspx

Just mathematically, USA people (EDIT - Children) who die from Sepsis (EDIT - 7000 est deaths of children per year from Sepsis - 2013 study) (EDIT - That would make a 28 times more statistical chance of a child dying from Sepsis than just the flu) are MUCH more likely to die from Sepsis than the flu.

Yet, where is the national panic. There is a national panic and a well concerted drive to immunize (haha that rhymes) and a very well founded concern of death from flu... and our nation is almost in a panic... over 200 deaths a year given the USA CDC input to the CNN news article. (CDC says a different number (EDIT - that number includes children and adults) on their website, so who is right?)

Sepsis cracks into the top 3 or top 5 of cause of death in USA depending on what number to believe. (And it can be treated with a very high effective rate if identified more than a few hours before it would kill you)

I am a lot more concerned with Sepsis than I am with the flu.

Is the threat of death by flu horrific and a concern? YES.

Is it a small fraction of the threat of death caused by Sepsis? Yes.

Should I worry more about a larger threat? YES

That is my holistic approach and allocation of worry. I apply it to a lot of other areas. This was a small example of how emotionally, people can easily get hysterical about the wrong stuff, as horrific as it could be... and could use their hysteria more effectively on something else, like deaths caused by drunk drivers, which is really only cracking into the top ten death causers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
(Baal) I would not rule out that at provincial facilities in China there may be use of PEDs....

I wonder what the rationale might be for the use of PEDs at the provincial level in present day China. To presumably or hopefully gain some sort of advantage over one's provincial opponents? To acquire the endurance needed to be able to train if accepted (doubtful, unless you are around five years old) in hope of becoming an eventual member of the Chinese National Team? Weird, if so. What could any provincial class player stand to gain, though what could any provincial class player stand to lose either if never tested?

Googling the use of PEDs among professional table tennis players in 2018 yielded no conclusive results. Instead, most, possibly almost all male, and many female players instead of being doped by their national associations or by themselves apply boosting oils used for increasing the speed and spin on both already factory tuned rubbers or rubbers amenable to boosting by such oils. This practice has probably been done since VOC based speed glues were banned by the ITTF in 2008.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And yet in spite of your apparent hysteria there is no evidence that doping with PEDs is a pervasive problem in table tennis in the last twenty years. This is in marked contrast to quite a few other sports. If you know of facts that prove otherwise then present them. If they stand up to scrutiny you will convince us.

100% agree.