Expert in a Year ( Discussion / Questions / Feedback )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
The real questions now, to Sam:
1) Are you going to keep playing, even if less frequently?
2) Have you become a TT lover?
3) And finally, are you going to become another EJ on the forums?

Hi Olio,

1) I am definitely going to keep playing, it will be less frequently but I have joined a Central London League, lower division team. I have had a year of playing lots of top quality opponents who outclass me, now I want to have some time where I can get used to winning and feel pride in my new skills :). Next season I will probably do some more Grand Prix's and move up to a more competitive division.

2) I think that I have. There were some really hard times, but now that a lot of that is behind me and I get to play 'for fun' I think I'll love it. It has been less than a week since the end of the challenge and I'm already itching to pick up a bat again. Someone once told me that you love what you're good at - and now that I am starting to get good at table tennis the love is growing.

3) That depends, what is an EJ?!

This user has no status.
the process of learning is never easy, but you have achieved a very nice level in only one year. as you acquire more experience and it starts slowly settling in you will discover the real beauty of this sport. trust me when i say this, what you have discovered so far is nothing to what is still ahead of you. you are very lucky to have had ben coach you from the very start because good technique allows you to go much further with time. both of you have done a great job!

Last edited:
Reactions: benlarcombe
This user has no status.
3) That depends, what is an EJ?!

EJ = equipment junkie. They lurk in the dark corners of the interweb, the table tennis forums. They will argue for hours / pages that this rubber / blade is better than that one, they test rubber after rubber, blade after blade, and wait for the holy grail of equipment, which will optimise their performance to make them win easily, suiting both their strength and their weakness, and replacing all other things in mind and body that make a good TT player.

Just look around you.

On a more serious note, what you and Ben have done has been great. I hope you both got much out of it It was certainly interesting to follow, both regarding your improvements and Ben's coaching technique / tips.
I guess many coaches have thought "I woud not have done it that way", or something similar after each video was released (I certainly did at times!), but we (coaches as well as players) all have different styles and ways to express what needs to be achieved.

One thing I wonder is whether you talked about the game. What to do, when to do it, concepts like where the spin is on the ball (spin axis), ways to play at different distances from the table, what is achieved with proper technique, shot selection, etc. These help players' understanding of "the game" and in the end improve their performance simply because of that.

Finally, do you think you have now reached a stage where you diagnose and correct your own technique?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Haha, yes I might well turn into an equipment junkie!

Finally, do you think you have now reached a stage where you diagnose and correct your own technique?

Yeah definitely. I know what I am doing wrong. In fact I have a massive list of things I know need slight improvements! I am sure that there is stuff I'm missing but certainly for the moment there is plenty of flaws I can diagnose and work on myself.

Yes we talked a lot about the game. I think that I have quite a scientific and logical mind so it suits me to talk about the mechanics. Although I am sure there is still much more to learn.

Thanks for the encouragement.

This user has no status.
We are shooting a Q&A video in approximately 3 hours time. If you have a question you would like to ask either me or Sam about the Expert in a Year challenge then please email it to me at [email protected]

Thank you very much. The video will be shot, edited and upload to YouTube this afternoon/evening.

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
1. Why didn't you get sponsors (I personally would have liked Matt Syed to put some money behind some of his biased writings in "Bounce")?
2. Why didn't you have Sam actively competing during the challenge (maybe leagued matches)? After learning basic strokes, my experience is that most of the required skills to play table tennis are forged as one trains to adapt to the demands of competition.
3. Did you ever consider giving Sam a pips rubber?
4. How much emphasis did you place on serve, serve receive and third attack vs. rallying?
5. Did you ever encourage Sam to take his shots whether he made them or not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Somehow I just watch Sam's video again in youtube, this time is the time elaps for the whole year. It definitely sees the improvement after 6 months of basic training.

During the first six months, Sam's stroke was so stiff. It took me quite some moment to think about why the stroke looks so strange lol... but in the end he start to become more relaxing. Which is a great performance improvement when we talk about someone who start from total nothing in the particular sport.

This user has no status.
Hi guys,

It's been over six months now since the Expert in a Year challenge came to an end and I thought it would be good to provide you all with a brief update...

1. The book

On Wednesday, we released the 'Expert in a Year' book on Amazon. It is Sam's story of a year of playing table tennis, in his own words.

EIAY Book 150px.jpg

If you are interested in hearing more about his experiences then I hope that you will purchase a copy. I've put the links below...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...iveASIN=B0142TUYE6&linkCode=as2&tag=pincoa-21

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=as2&tag=exptabten-20&linkId=4ZVEWTSTFCWQLYDP

2. The podcast episode

You may have seen that I started a table tennis podcast a few months ago (I had Dan Ives on the show a few episodes back talking about his trip to China).

To go alongside the launch of the book I decided to interview Sam and ask him a few questions about the book and some of the lessons he learned from the challenge. If you would like to listen to it you can do so using the links below...

http://www.experttabletennis.com/sam-priestley-the-expert-in-a-year-book/

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/expert-table-tennis-podcast/id989935950?mt=2

3. The future

Sam plans on continuing to play in the Central London local league next season for ISH. I will provide some updates on his results towards the end of 2015, once he's got a few matches under his belt.

We popped down to ISH a few weeks ago for a practice and I recorded a few videos of Sam playing to give you an idea of how he is doing after six months of very little table tennis. Has he slipped back a lot? Has he forgotten it all? Watch the video below to find out (I have two more videos still to upload).

That's all for now. I'll make sure to check this thread a bit over the next couple of days to catch replies and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan