Fun challenges or practices in table tennis

This user has no status.
Hi again,

So, until i can buy the robot or find a nearby partner regularly then i am spending time with my table doing some fun shots or tricks or practices, whatever you call it, so do you do these kind of things sometimes?

For now the thing i am doing or practicing on is to place targets on the other side of the table[opponent side] and i try to aim those targets, so if you do that, how many attempts do you do?

I am not super high level or very skilled to tell you that i am so accurate or consistency on hitting the targets, but i really enjoy the time and have doing it for now, once i try with FH only, then next time with BH only, did you do something similar?

I placed 3 plastic cups that used for water/juices drinking because they are unbreakable, and i try to hit them, i have 15 balls in the basket that i use for training, i don't want to use my other balls as i keep them for games with others, so i just do 15 balls and collect them and do again or collect few balls if they return back to me, i can video that if it is interesting for you, but i want to know how good you are if you all keep saying i am not good in TT but talking, show me your attempts until i can video myself doing it on proper time with my camera, hope you got my point.

This user has no status.
Here are the targets

_DSC1665.jpg

And here are the balls in the basket

_DSC1666.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Tareq, something you can practice when you are alone and have a bucket of balls is self hitting:

You can do this with targets like you are suggesting. But emptying a bucket without stopping can actually improve your form pretty decently.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
Tareq, something you can practice when you are alone and have a bucket of balls is self hitting:

You can do this with targets like you are suggesting. But emptying a bucket without stopping can actually improve your form pretty decently.

Actually, or TBH or the truth be told, your video what made me to think about that fun thing, i do the same as you did in the video above but i placed targets so i can hit the target to learn more about placement, so it is like 2 in 1, what you did is easy and i can do it with no problems, but to hit the targets to learn about placement or accuracy or consistency is really difficult, it may not get me anything, but doing it will make my hand keep moving and used to hits.

This user has no status.
And as i said, with targets i try to hit them once with FH only, when succeeded i try with BH only, and i keep back and forth, but just now about few minutes ago i was adding serving too, and honestly speaking, hitting the targets with serving is easier or more keepers than hitting them by smashing or looping/drive as in the video, dunno why, but it is all good practice for me and fun too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I was going to make fun of this thread before you posted. Oh well...

Usually, the first thing any serious player with a table does is practice serves. But of course, OP wants to challenge us to a duel of self hitting targets. Seriously?

He probably can't even serve backspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I'm teaching my SO to play at the moment. I usually put out 3 sheets of A4 paper, in 3 different colors, on the table, 1 in each corner and one in the middle and call out the colors for her to hit when I multiball her.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Actually, or TBH or the truth be told, your video what made me to think about that fun thing, i do the same as you did in the video above but i placed targets so i can hit the target to learn more about placement, so it is like 2 in 1, what you did is easy and i can do it with no problems, but to hit the targets to learn about placement or accuracy or consistency is really difficult, it may not get me anything, but doing it will make my hand keep moving and used to hits.

What I did was meant to be easy so you can work on form. I was showing someone who was self hitting and struggling with it. The double bounce makes it very easy. But if you know what you are looking at, you can see that I am putting a lot of spin on the ball. And for me, target practice has always been easy.

I can't wait to see the footage of what you are doing. That is very easy to film.

Other than just straight up practising my serves, I like practising heavy backspin/ghost serves and seeing how many balls I can get resting on the table. Also, the very simple game of recording my serve completion. 7 different serves 100 balls. Every serve is completed or missed, and if you miss you have to repeat it till you move on to next serve. Amount of balls hit at the end is accuracy. You get the idea.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
1. The "end of the handle" ball bounce, tricks. (I've done 100+ a few times :v though I do believe penhold is practical to use here)
2. Serve a backspin then try hitting the ball with another ball...
3. Try hitting the ball up against the edge of the table several times. (like kristian karlson did in some video...) with the racket, like you'd bounce it against the wall, just, edge of table on the side, it's harder.
4. Role the ball to the back of the table and top spin it from the edge, without hitting edge with racket or messing it up.
(try the same to the side with sidespin)

Also, if you're going to do the bounce or 2 bounce practice + hit, you should mix up the angles, and add in footwork so you make it more realistic to moving around. For example bounce it to the side and try to hit around the net shot :p

That's all that came to mind right now. :D

This user has no status.
I'm teaching my SO to play at the moment. I usually put out 3 sheets of A4 paper, in 3 different colors, on the table, 1 in each corner and one in the middle and call out the colors for her to hit when I multiball her.

That is a good practice too, but i have no one or nothing to do multiball practice yet :-(

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Well, pals, i titled the threa with fun, it is not everything is only practice/training and playing games, sometimes doing some kind of fun that is all, don't take it as serious and saying we never do fun things, only serious things, i can just focus to have only serious training and go somewhere for that only, but i just said between time and time having some kind of these fun things.

I do practice with serves too, believe me, even if i try to hit the targets with serves is a good practice, and i will have enough long time to practice many things or everything including serves, but i meant this thread to be that kind of fun off practice/training/playing sessions.

Anyway, i hope members here don't feel/think this thread is also a joke or a waste, if so then just pass and ignore it.

This user has no status.
1. The "end of the handle" ball bounce, tricks. (I've done 100+ a few times :v though I do believe penhold is practical to use here)
2. Serve a backspin then try hitting the ball with another ball...
3. Try hitting the ball up against the edge of the table several times. (like kristian karlson did in some video...) with the racket, like you'd bounce it against the wall, just, edge of table on the side, it's harder.
4. Role the ball to the back of the table and top spin it from the edge, without hitting edge with racket or messing it up.
(try the same to the side with sidespin)

Also, if you're going to do the bounce or 2 bounce practice + hit, you should mix up the angles, and add in footwork so you make it more realistic to moving around. For example bounce it to the side and try to hit around the net shot :p

That's all that came to mind right now. :D

I am so sorry, but i almost didn't understand some of your points above, i mean how to do it, English isn't my language so i am trying to know what are you talking about as to do, wish if you have videos of what you are trying to say so i can understand it better.

This user has no status.
What I did was meant to be easy so you can work on form. I was showing someone who was self hitting and struggling with it. The double bounce makes it very easy. But if you know what you are looking at, you can see that I am putting a lot of spin on the ball. And for me, target practice has always been easy.

I can't wait to see the footage of what you are doing. That is very easy to film.

WOW, you are super skilled, so target thing is very easy for you, i am not good at all then, it is not very easy or even just easy for me, i will not film then because then you will keep saying i am failed and i don't know anything.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
WOW, you are super skilled, so target thing is very easy for you, i am not good at all then, it is not very easy or even just easy for me, i will not film then because then you will keep saying i am failed and i don't know anything.

Don't worry. We actually realize you are an internet troll and had no intention of showing video of yourself and that you are scared to have us see how you play. It would be harder for you to tell people that you are better than everyone on here including players who are 2400-2600 USATT if you showed video of yourself.

But here is a video of some things for you to try:

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
Don't worry. We actually realize you are an internet troll and had no intention of showing video of yourself and that you are scared to have us see how you play. It would be harder for you to tell people that you are better than everyone on here including players who are 2400-2600 USATT if you showed video of yourself.

But here is a video of some things for you to try:

So do you think i can do what a player in top 20 o 30 in the world can do? you do as he did and show us, i am a troll so let's see what you can do ;-)