Getting my timing correct

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi There,

Here I am back with another request. Firstly, I really don't have sufficient words or gratitude to thank all of you for your valuable time and inputs.

Friends, I am struggling to get my timing correct. The most troubled part for me is to get my timing right on my forehand loop against backspin.
A little background about myself, I have learned to hit topspins on my own without any formal coaching at the early stages. I have style where I will bend my knees, twist my torso and take my arm down and then swing hard on the backspin ball while attempting to generate power from legs and torso rotation. Sounds perfect! well it is not because during the execution I meet the ball near my waist or even back due to which I most often put high backspin balls to the net or just execute a weak shot which my opponent punch blocks.

As my friends tell me, I generate very good spin, however due to mis-timing my shots land in the center of the board and lack that sting. Sometimes in practice, when I get it right then I can really feel the reduction in effort and can also see the quality of the shot which is increased by leaps and bounds. However, in matches I more often feel choked where I don't find enough room to execute my shots. I am six feet tall, and I really feel that I don't get enough room for my shots most of the time.

Please help me by telling that how can I improve my timing?

1. Should I reduce my arm swing to meet the ball early, but then I am not confident of lifting the ball over the net?
2. Should I go back more to avoid choking, but sometimes I am not able to read the bounce on my side and the ball just drops before me?

This user has no status.
there is not really a special timing for this. Against backspin you just have to wait untill the ball is behind the table. you should not try to take any ball over the table.

But you have to vary your stroke on different lengths. is the ball long you just take it on the highest point. if the ball is half long the ball will drop more and you have to make your stroke more vertical.

hi there

i am working on exactly the same thing ... so here is what my coach has been trying to get me to do :

- read where the ball is going
- move into position as fast as possible
- when setting up for the loop against backspin your backswing should never be past "just behind" your back leg/knee
- when setting up for the loop against backspin you should step forward with your left leg (right hander) while you are doing your backswing
- wait for the ball to stop before doing your stroke (this means that there is less spin to overcome and that you will be able to put in the exact amount of power you want into the return stroke)
- aim to hit the ball at 3 o'clock
- make sure that you use your fore-arm "snap" to get that extra bit of blade speed for extra spin (done correctly your bat and arm should almost wrap around your head or just behind it at the end of the stroke)
- end the shot more "up" than "forward" (so more towards 11/12 o'clock depending on the incoming spin and what you want to do with it .. loop or loop kill)

the hardest part is getting into the correct position : left foot forward (right if you are a left hander), ball directly in front of you, facing parallel to the back edge of the table, balanced and blade just behind your back knee

it is hard work but, as you say, you can feel the difference when you get it right.

keep at it and if you are not able to get into the correct position fast enough then slow everything down. speed is your enemy when learning a new technique.

ymmv

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It would be great if you can post a video of you, I think you will get more specific inputs as to where you are going wrong vis-a-vis generic inputs on how to do the stroke correctly
Hi There,

Here I am back with another request. Firstly, I really don't have sufficient words or gratitude to thank all of you for your valuable time and inputs.

Friends, I am struggling to get my timing correct. The most troubled part for me is to get my timing right on my forehand loop against backspin.
A little background about myself, I have learned to hit topspins on my own without any formal coaching at the early stages. I have style where I will bend my knees, twist my torso and take my arm down and then swing hard on the backspin ball while attempting to generate power from legs and torso rotation. Sounds perfect! well it is not because during the execution I meet the ball near my waist or even back due to which I most often put high backspin balls to the net or just execute a weak shot which my opponent punch blocks.

As my friends tell me, I generate very good spin, however due to mis-timing my shots land in the center of the board and lack that sting. Sometimes in practice, when I get it right then I can really feel the reduction in effort and can also see the quality of the shot which is increased by leaps and bounds. However, in matches I more often feel choked where I don't find enough room to execute my shots. I am six feet tall, and I really feel that I don't get enough room for my shots most of the time.

Please help me by telling that how can I improve my timing?

1. Should I reduce my arm swing to meet the ball early, but then I am not confident of lifting the ball over the net?
2. Should I go back more to avoid choking, but sometimes I am not able to read the bounce on my side and the ball just drops before me?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It can be like that for a while. Making a heavy topspin vs an underspin. Contact for heavy slow is fine, so it can take a while to get down the proper bat angle and timing of everything. You could of course slow everything down a bit and open the bat more to hit with more solid contact, but the result wont be as heavy as you want it.

Stay with it. :)