• Total voters

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I remember reading an article once which was about technology. It was about how technologists believe by 2050 there will be a robotic team that will be able to beat the current football world cup champions. Perhaps technology is moving faster then they expected? :)

Pingpong-playing-robot--i-001.jpg

Photo by Kim Kyung-hoon/Reuters

Do you think its physically possible for a robot to one day be able to beat the likes of Xu Xin, Ma Long or Timo Boll?

Discuss below :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Haha that is cool. But I don't think they will get a robot up to the level that it can run around the court playing countertopsins. Maybe not even receive a tricky serve. Cuz if you want a robot to challenge the human standards you should give him a bat with good rubbers to play a spinny game. And learn him a legal serve ;)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Haha that is cool. But I don't think they will get a robot up to the level that it can run around the court playing countertopsins. Maybe not even receive a tricky serve. Cuz if you want a robot to challenge the human standards you should give him a bat with good rubbers to play a spinny game. And learn him a legal serve ;)

Haha so true, could you imagine seeing a robot at the levels of Xu Xin? I'm sure it cannot be possible lol,, but then again Liam Pitchford is showing how anything is possible right now! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
What you guys aren't thinking about are the close to the table players. If a robot were able to calculate the spin and trajectory it could easily do the math necessary to block or push the ball. I think this could very easily happen because it's just a matter of time before we have computers thinking as fast as our athletes. I think the robot would never move from it's spot because it would only block, push, and counter the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
With anti spin the robot would not have to read the spin to the same extent. :) Oh, for those who don't know, I am joking. The amount of moving and predicting the ball and where it is going to go, and reading the spin, I don't think it is possible. Even though I know people who are good against normal rubbers and would lose to that very robot if it had antispin. :) Wait, do I have to say I am joking agian? :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
What you guys aren't thinking about are the close to the table players. If a robot were able to calculate the spin and trajectory it could easily do the math necessary to block or push the ball. I think this could very easily happen because it's just a matter of time before we have computers thinking as fast as our athletes. I think the robot would never move from it's spot because it would only block, push, and counter the ball.

But the question is: would he be able to step in and out to switch between short game and blocking/looping? I highly doubt it, unless it get's enormously long arms probably.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It would probably have to have longer arms, but with it's mechanical power it could literally flick any underspin service because it can produce the necessary racket speed.

@ Carl - when you are watching a match from third person or by video it's far easier to predict where they're going to be hitting the ball. In fact I've often guessed where a ball is going to be hit by the pros before they hit it just by looking at their footwork or swing. The robot would be able to zoom in and see the ball much better than any human could and because of that it would also be able to see the body mechanics of a player's swing.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that a human player could beat the robot as well, but the argument here was whether a robot could beat a human and I totally believe that's possible. Maybe even to the point where only the best players in the world could beat it, but think of it like the older guys at a club. Some of the really good old guys don't really move and they just block everything back. I've played a former Chinese coach who used short pips and just blocked pen hold all day. He's a wall because of his experience in reading the spin and mechanics of a player's swing. BTW his name was Ping which was just awesome.

says anyone tel me where can i buy the return board here in...
says anyone tel me where can i buy the return board here in...
Nov 2010
its possible!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
The main think that everyone should realise is: all about pingpong is just MATH (or PHYSICS)
And who can count that faster than computer ???
NOONE!
That is simply impossible!
So one thing is clear for sure: With a good code the robot would exactly know what to do, he would know it perfect in a split of second!
So now is just the second thing in there - can he do it so fast as he can find out the perfect shot?
NO .. not now.. But you can see how fast these things are getting better..

So I am sure in the future there will be a robot able to beat anyone!
Even Ma Long or Zhang Jike..
As far as you realise its all about counting physics, you have to come to the result that it is possible..

Another question is - will someone in the future spend that much money and effort to create a robot like that? .. I dont know :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
The main think that everyone should realise is: all about pingpong is just MATH (or PHYSICS)
And who can count that faster than computer ???
NOONE!
That is simply impossible!
So one thing is clear for sure: With a good code the robot would exactly know what to do, he would know it perfect in a split of second!
So now is just the second thing in there - can he do it so fast as he can find out the perfect shot?
NO .. not now.. But you can see how fast these things are getting better..

So I am sure in the future there will be a robot able to beat anyone!
Even Ma Long or Zhang Jike..
As far as you realise its all about counting physics, you have to come to the result that it is possible..

Another question is - will someone in the future spend that much money and effort to create a robot like that? .. I dont know :)

It might be able to exactly analyze the ball that is coming towards them in a split second, but... Just think about how many muscles and coördination of it goes in a good shot. I highly doubt that they will make a robot that perfectly times the twist of body, switching weight to the other foot (robots can just stand straight, they have no idea of gravity) and the snap of the wrist, all perfectly timed. When someone executes this well, we say they have feeling. Robots don't have feeling, if it will make any shot it will be with 'stiff muscles'. I seriously doubt if they can make a robot that will play topspin against block, the blocker being human so that no ball comes the same as the previous. But who knows what will happen in a couple of years. I just don't see this happening xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
It might be able to exactly analyze the ball that is coming towards them in a split second, but... Just think about how many muscles and coördination of it goes in a good shot. I highly doubt that they will make a robot that perfectly times the twist of body, switching weight to the other foot (robots can just stand straight, they have no idea of gravity) and the snap of the wrist, all perfectly timed. When someone executes this well, we say they have feeling. Robots don't have feeling, if it will make any shot it will be with 'stiff muscles'. I seriously doubt if they can make a robot that will play topspin against block, the blocker being human so that no ball comes the same as the previous. But who knows what will happen in a couple of years. I just don't see this happening xD

WiWa - who where said that the robot has to look like human?
Maybe he will look completely different..

Anyways - look how many things people thought is not possible 50 years ago..
And now there is a car working with sun energy..

You never know what can happen..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
WiWa - who where said that the robot has to look like human?
Maybe he will look completely different..

Anyways - look how many things people thought is not possible 50 years ago..
And now there is a car working with sun energy..

You never know what can happen..

Well if you pretend to make a robot that is an improved version of the human way table tennis is played, I think you should not make it much diffrent from a human. If you make a robot that is a cube fitting in a football goal it will be the best goalkeepr on earth, but that's not the way to go.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me, the reading and analyzing part of it is not the issue. I don't think they will be able to make a robot that can move the racket to the right spot and get the right angle on the bat. I could be wrong. This issue is not whether they can make a robot that can beat any human. I know people who are so bad that they might lose to these robots in the video. But they cannot even get the racket on the ball or serve. I don't think they will be able to make a robot that will be able to beat a top 100 or even top 500 player.

It is different than chess. The moving parts are the issue that I don't think they will be able to create a machine to achieve. I will be very surprised if they do that in my lifetime.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
IMHO .. even today we have the technology to make robots that will beat any human , if not anything by simply blocking the ball back. But the point is .. will it be fun to watch .. the answer probably is no . Pretty simple , some of the military out there have anti - ICBM technology ... that means .. tracking and predicting a projectile is no big deal .. especially in controlled environment .. and table tennis is an indoor sport. Also, robots will not get tired ... there could be issues with movement ( footwork ) .. but then if it can read the trajectory and spin on the ball to 99% accuracy it will at the least come up with weird looking blocks impossible to the humans . So , all in all , yes they could beat humans but no it won't be pleasing the eye.