How far do you think Sun Yang can go?

This user has no status.
To be honest...no. His skill is impressive but he was born at the wrong time. If he goes pro now, he will meet too many people like Fan Zhendong and Wang Chuqin who can demolish choppers as they are in thier prime. If he was a bit younger, then he would have met them when they were a bit older and could jave a chnace against them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I don't think it is possible to win a World Championship as a chopper anymore.

The last World champion chopper was like in the mid 80s. I think about top25 in the world is the ceiling for a chopper and that only if he is excellent at attacking too.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
People can rail against the CNT's methods and ideology all they want, but in the end every player's destinies is up to them. The player that rises to the top gets catered to, those that cant; get fewer chances and cater to others. It's a microcosm of the world at large.
Sun Yang's career trajectory is up to him. The reason CNT is fielding him at the WYC is because he's arguably the BEST 15 YEAR OLD IN THE WORLD. His task is to keep that up at the senior level.If he can bring forth new tactics, attack ferociously and beat all the players in the world consistently, He'll definitely play in the majors. If he can't do this, and ends up being the run-of-the-mill "good chopper" due to the limitations of his style, He'll mostly serve as practice for whoever the Chinese has that can beat the rest of the world consistently.
It's all in his hands.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
best chopper in modern era was only 2nd place in world champs.
I actually rooted for JSH to win!

Sadly, JSH is a 1 in 1000 top choppers and it is difficult to get another one.
2nd, chopper in CNT is known to only be practice partner
It is difficult to break into the top 5

3rd, teams is a big thing now, chopper won't play singles only (since your main players will do that).
so how do you mix a chopper with another offensive player for doubles or mixed doubles?
the pairing of choppers makes them at a disadvantage
unless they are good enough to play 2 singles - which is extremely unlikely under CNT offensive ability.

When JSH played, teams was only singles matches. There was no doubles, so KNT never had to worry about him with doubles pairing.

Of course CNT could do a XD choppers pairing, but with only 1 entry in OG, that chance is pretty slim too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
best chopper in modern era was only 2nd place in world champs.
I actually rooted for JSH to win!

Sadly, JSH is a 1 in 1000 top choppers and it is difficult to get another one.
2nd, chopper in CNT is known to only be practice partner
It is difficult to break into the top 5

3rd, teams is a big thing now, chopper won't play singles only (since your main players will do that).
so how do you mix a chopper with another offensive player for doubles or mixed doubles?
the pairing of choppers makes them at a disadvantage
unless they are good enough to play 2 singles - which is extremely unlikely under CNT offensive ability.

When JSH played, teams was only singles matches. There was no doubles, so KNT never had to worry about him with doubles pairing.

Of course CNT could do a XD choppers pairing, but with only 1 entry in OG, that chance is pretty slim too.
Or he emigrates to a small European country like wang Yang or Cheng weixing did and plays bundesliga and olympic games:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Tbh I think he can go further than people here seem to expect. Filus is a decent chopper and he does quite well at the world stage. SY definitely has more talent and better practice opportunities. Also SY has in my opinion the best forehand topspin stroke of any youth player currently on the circuit, LSD and Lebrun included. You can see the Ma Long influence in every single forehand topspin.
But choppers do have their limits. They are relatively weak against strong powerful forehand players and have no opportunity to pressure players with a weaker or slower backhand. The transition from youth to men’s tournaments will be naturally a lot harder for him than for other youth players who are not able to compete with him currently since more power helps a lot against choppers. But tbh he is doing very well against top U19 players already. If he can further improve his variety of backhand shots, I am sure that he could potentially be a candidate for the CNT A team in a couple of years. However I feel like he will not be able to beat the top Chinese players consistently if they are regularly practicing with him so winning a World Championship/Olympics is going to be very tough for him.

This user has no status.
Probably no future in CNT, sorry to say. He will get absolutely destroyed in internal competitions unless he uses his LPs offensively and close table instead of always retreating to chop. Not just CNT but there are a lot of players out there with big FHs which will destroy him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
Probably no future in CNT, sorry to say. He will get absolutely destroyed in internal competitions unless he uses his LPs offensively and close table instead of always retreating to chop. Not just CNT but there are a lot of players out there with big FHs which will destroy him.

He use SP, not LP

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tbh I think he can go further than people here seem to expect. Filus is a decent chopper and he does quite well at the world stage. SY definitely has more talent and better practice opportunities. Also SY has in my opinion the best forehand topspin stroke of any youth player currently on the circuit, LSD and Lebrun included. You can see the Ma Long influence in every single forehand topspin.
But choppers do have their limits. They are relatively weak against strong powerful forehand players and have no opportunity to pressure players with a weaker or slower backhand. The transition from youth to men’s tournaments will be naturally a lot harder for him than for other youth players who are not able to compete with him currently since more power helps a lot against choppers. But tbh he is doing very well against top U19 players already. If he can further improve his variety of backhand shots, I am sure that he could potentially be a candidate for the CNT A team in a couple of years. However I feel like he will not be able to beat the top Chinese players consistently if they are regularly practicing with him so winning a World Championship/Olympics is going to be very tough for him.
I think if SY was representing another country and getting all the opportunities that Filus has on the world stage, then SY will shine.

But, since making the top 5 or top 6 to play WTT contenders/star contenders etc within CNT is the issue here, not SY,
SY... maybe just need to make way for others

Last edited:
Reactions: somerville
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I think if SY was representing another country and getting all the opportunities that Filus has on the world stage, then SY will shine.

But, since making the top 5 or top 6 to play WTT contenders/star contenders etc within CNT is the issue here, not SY,
SY... maybe just need to make way for others
It might help him that CNT has to choose their players based on wr. As long as he is more consistent than other CNT players against foreigners he can make his way to the top even if he is not doing too well in internal matches.
He will probably not make top 3 like this. With Wang Chuqin there is currently an offensive type player that is also very consistent against both foreigners and CNT colleagues.
But I think if he makes a good transition to men’s he could potentially go around top 10 up to even top 5 in world ranking. Lin Gaoyuan and Liang Jingkun also reach 4th without being very competitive against the top 3 and they are both not super consistent against foreigners. However they do perform well against CNT B team, probably better than a chopper in the a team could.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It might help him that CNT has to choose their players based on wr. As long as he is more consistent than other CNT players against foreigners he can make his way to the top even if he is not doing too well in internal matches.
He will probably not make top 3 like this. With Wang Chuqin there is currently an offensive type player that is also very consistent against both foreigners and CNT colleagues.
But I think if he makes a good transition to men’s he could potentially go around top 10 up to even top 5 in world ranking. Lin Gaoyuan and Liang Jingkun also reach 4th without being very competitive against the top 3 and they are both not super consistent against foreigners. However they do perform well against CNT B team, probably better than a chopper in the a team could.
lets wait and see

the previous short pip chopper was very good, but wasn't good enough.
funny that he still won the Chinese National Champs few years ago (can't remember his age then, but was 30 something)

Hou Yingchao made WR10, but was never in the frontline (he is 43 years old today)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Sun Yang shares the same problem of many, if not all, modern defenders after Ding Song who started the style - they don't/can't chop on the FH (but Ding Song can and does, and JSH got much better at FH chop later on). Unless Sun Yang changes that part of his game, no chance.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...s-dont-need-to-die-they-need-to-change#970957

LGL's comments on Joo Sehyuk, Ding Song and Hou Yingchao after WTTC 2003
https://sports.sohu.com/71/74/news212597471.shtml
https://sports.sina.cn/sa/2003-08-28/detail-ikftssap9949104.d.html

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Or quit CNT and emigrate to say Australia and be their No. 1 MS. 😁
I don't think he will choose a country where there isn't much funding to travel around the world for tournaments.
Australia is already good, but not good enough (NZ had to self fund themselves to the Durban world champs, that was sad)

Singapore is the first choice and then many smaller European countries.
Singapore is the quickest to get passport, so it is the easiest for Asians and the language is friendlier.

In fact, 3 years ago, I met 2 kids (can't remember the ages then but was young around 10 or 11 or so) at Taiwan Co-Op Bank table tennis head office, and both were leaving for Singapore in like a month or twos time, as the father was approached by authorities there to place the kids in the Singapore table tennis school and to represent Singapore.
Both kids were top prospects in their age category.

I didn't get the names of the kids, not sure if the kids went or not, but I was amazed they would even come and search in Taiwan.

This user has no status.
He use SP, not LP
In that case it should be even easier to train up a lethal BH punch. Not sure why the SP choppers don't actually train this shot...

So the idea is to chop with so much spin that they're forced to either take a lot of risk with their loops, or if they do a half ass opening loop, just crush them with a SP punch, and then take over with the FH attack.

Last edited: