How to play against high topspin loops?

This user has no status.
Hello table tennis experts!

Used to be an office-table, low-intermediate player, just coming back and trying to properly learn.

In a game (right handed vs right handed) yesterday, I came up against a player, who looped very heavy, BH topspin on both my FH/BH.

At least, I remember trying to block but the ball kept flying off. Any tips to deal with this?

1. Should I try to block the ball as soon as it bounces?
2. Do I just need to learn closing my racket more?

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hello table tennis experts!

Used to be an office-table, low-intermediate player, just coming back and trying to properly learn.

In a game (right handed vs right handed) yesterday, I came up against a player, who looped very heavy, BH topspin on both my FH/BH.

At least, I remember trying to block but the ball kept flying off. Any tips to deal with this?

1. Should I try to block the ball as soon as it bounces?
2. Do I just need to learn closing my racket more?

Thanks!
Yes exactly. You have block the ball as soon as it bounces to reduce error. And close your racket more.

One thing I always say is that the ball does not lie. If you hit the ball into the net, you have to open your racket more. If you hit the ball off the end of the table, you have to close your racket more. Physics and ball movements do not lie.

Another three important tips. One is you want to relax your arm (wrist, forearm and shoulder, and everything) when you block. The more relaxed you are, the more likely the ball will stay on the table! Very important to relax.

Second is you do not want him to get a chance to loop. Obviously that is easier said than done. But if he is good at BH loop, then feed ball to his forehand. If you are in the middle of the game and you don't remember anything, then just remember to feed the ball to his forehand, his middle and his backhand. Just keep on varying the placement of each shot.

Third is that if he is good at looping backspin, then you want to serve topspin and start a rally. If he is good at looping topspin then you serve backspin and keep on chopping on the ball hard!

Good luck!

This user has no status.
Yes exactly. You have block the ball as soon as it bounces to reduce error. And close your racket more.

One thing I always say is that the ball does not lie. If you hit the ball into the net, you have to open your racket more. If you hit the ball off the end of the table, you have to close your racket more. Physics and ball movements do not lie.

Another three important tips. One is you want to relax your arm (wrist, forearm and shoulder, and everything) when you block. The more relaxed you are, the more likely the ball will stay on the table! Very important to relax.

Second is you do not want him to get a chance to loop. Obviously that is easier said than done. But if he is good at BH loop, then feed ball to his forehand. If you are in the middle of the game and you don't remember anything, then just remember to feed the ball to his forehand, his middle and his backhand. Just keep on varying the placement of each shot.

Third is that if he is good at looping backspin, then you want to serve topspin and start a rally. If he is good at looping topspin then you serve backspin and keep on chopping on the ball hard!

Good luck!
This makes a lot of sense. Just need to get the practice in now.

Thank you for the very pragmatic, detailed tips!

Reactions: JJ Ng
Hard topspin’s I always try to get in phase 1 (after bounce while ball still going upwards). Both blocking and hitting. This also puts more pressure on your opponent.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Racket angle isn't everything. Too closed of an angle means that you will miss the ball a lot. Obviously you should close it but not too much.

You should learn how to control and press down with your body, and how to absorb the incoming momentum with sideways movements. If you use sidespin it makes your life even easier (and harder for your opponent). With these factors, blocking even the heaviest topspin is not that difficult.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
A few comments:

I probably would not smash the ball. It is harder than you think. At lower level, yeah, their topspin is not very strong. But when they put their bodies into the shot and the ball comes back high and slow, where do you think all the kinetic energy went into? Into the spin! You can see pro's messing up those shots when they smash it.

Take it off the bounce is the only correct answer for most players. When you take it off the bounce you do not need to close the racket as much and the ball will still go over with some margin of safety. That is part of the reason why you try to block off the bounce.

Finally I would not put any side spin on the ball. Just relax and block it back. Sometimes don't try to play too cute. Just play a simple game so you can learn touch and feel; it will be better for you in the long run!

Reactions: kindof99
What can I do if the blocked ball goes into the net and when I open it up balls go off long though there is no net clearance left?
Just smash?
There is always a correct racket angle. You need to practice more….
If you have time to smash it wasn’t a challenging stroke really, then just counter with a topspin drive.

Cheers
L-zr

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
What can I do if the blocked ball goes into the net and when I open it up balls go off long though there is no net clearance left?
Just smash?
Don't just keep the racket still, as in letting the ball slightly touch the rubber, keep your racket moving instead (so as to get the ball to somewhat sink into the rubber). Adjust the angle accordingly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
A few comments:

I probably would not smash the ball. It is harder than you think. At lower level, yeah, their topspin is not very strong. But when they put their bodies into the shot and the ball comes back high and slow, where do you think all the kinetic energy went into? Into the spin! You can see pro's messing up those shots when they smash it.

Take it off the bounce is the only correct answer for most players. When you take it off the bounce you do not need to close the racket as much and the ball will still go over with some margin of safety. That is part of the reason why you try to block off the bounce.

Finally I would not put any side spin on the ball. Just relax and block it back. Sometimes don't try to play too cute. Just play a simple game so you can learn touch and feel; it will be better for you in the long run!
It looks harder but it's not that hard once you get used to it. I've watched pingskill video on youtube about this and slowly implemented it to my forehand and backhand. I don't have enough confidence to do it on my backhand tho.

Just smash?
Hit through the sponge. You won't be able to hit it on the first try. The key is to get used to it through enough repetitions. As you keep doing it, you'll get used to it. Just need to build up confidence even if you hit it over the table.

I have never bothered with the whole racket angle. Early on, yes but as time goes by, I don't bother with it anymore. Just hit it hard to offset the spin and then my body will follow it.

Last edited: