How to read spin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Look at the direction in which the bat is going. The other way is to read the logo of the ball, but that is only if you are able to follow the ball

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There are lots of ways to read spin. But first, are you asking about reading spin on serves, or on other kinds of shots?

The first way to read spin on a serve is to watch the opponent's racket closely at contact. Sometimes you can see if they are doing top or underspin with their sidespin. The sidespin you should be able to read from the racket angle.

The next way to read spin on a serve is the path of the ball and its ark. A short topspin serve can trick you because it seems to float. But, the ark of the ball is rounder and if you watch closely you can see it kick. So of a ball has top and sidespin it will have a round ark, it will kick forward a little and have a curve to it. An underspin ball whether slow or fast will have a flatter trajectory, and it will slow down in its flight. If it has sidespin with the underspin it will curve as it slows down. A dead ball will sort of float and it will not look like it has much spin.

When someone is chopping they will mix their chops between heavy, light and dead. When it is dead they will hit higher on the racket (in relation to the direction the racket is going, on either the forehand or backhand chop, the ball will be closer to the thumb side edge of the racket) and not come through the ball as much. Also they may hit into the ball more. When the ball is dead it will float more. When they make the spin heavy, they will contact closer to the bottom edge of the racket (the side of the racket that the index finger is pointing towards) and they will come all the way through and under the ball with more of a brushing action. The sound will also be different. A heavy chop will have a flatter trajectory and tend to stay lower just like an underspin serve. You have to watch closely for a long time while you are playing and while other people are playing to be able to start seeing those things.

With topspin you have to read the ark as well. Heavier tipspin will have a much bigger ark and when someone is not putting as much spin on their topspin shots the ball will have a much flatter ark. Most people don't think about reading spin off topspin shots because it is sort of easier. But if you play someone who can smash or loop and they smash on you and you are not ready for a deadball your shot will go into the net. That will be even worse if you are playing a short pips player.

With a long pips player, you have to watch which side of the racket they use because most short pips players will flip their rackets, you have to watch how they contact the ball, you have to remember what spin you put on the ball and you have to read the flight of the ball.

Reactions: Dan
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
100% reading spin on serves, even if I know the clues hasn't registered 100% with me yet, so that is what is keeping my otherwise good game to my current level in my last two tourneys at Harford and Westchester. I'd be 2100 here if I could receive serves like the rest of what I do well. Oh well, prolly not going to be able to practice it a lot now that I/m back in USA, I'll be so far from TT action there will be no time on a weekday to do any TT live action. maybe after I retire I'll be in a good TT situation again.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
There are lots of ways to read spin. But first, are you asking about reading spin on serves, or on other kinds of shots?

The first way to read spin on a serve is to watch the opponent's racket closely at contact. Sometimes you can see if they are doing top or underspin with their sidespin. The sidespin you should be able to read from the racket angle.

The next way to read spin on a serve is the path of the ball and its ark. A short topspin serve can trick you because it seems to float. But, the ark of the ball is rounder and if you watch closely you can see it kick. So of a ball has top and sidespin it will have a round ark, it will kick forward a little and have a curve to it. An underspin ball whether slow or fast will have a flatter trajectory, and it will slow down in its flight. If it has sidespin with the underspin it will curve as it slows down. A dead ball will sort of float and it will not look like it has much spin.

When someone is chopping they will mix their chops between heavy, light and dead. When it is dead they will hit higher on the racket (in relation to the direction the racket is going, on either the forehand or backhand chop, the ball will be closer to the thumb side edge of the racket) and not come through the ball as much. Also they may hit into the ball more. When the ball is dead it will float more. When they make the spin heavy, they will contact closer to the bottom edge of the racket (the side of the racket that the index finger is pointing towards) and they will come all the way through and under the ball with more of a brushing action. The sound will also be different. A heavy chop will have a flatter trajectory and tend to stay lower just like an underspin serve. You have to watch closely for a long time while you are playing and while other people are playing to be able to start seeing those things.

With topspin you have to read the ark as well. Heavier tipspin will have a much bigger ark and when someone is not putting as much spin on their topspin shots the ball will have a much flatter ark. Most people don't think about reading spin off topspin shots because it is sort of easier. But if you play someone who can smash or loop and they smash on you and you are not ready for a deadball your shot will go into the net. That will be even worse if you are playing a short pips player.

With a long pips player, you have to watch which side of the racket they use because most short pips players will flip their rackets, you have to watch how they contact the ball, you have to remember what spin you put on the ball and you have to read the flight of the ball.

Great post Carl!

You covered all the points here. I think listening to the contact is essential. Practice spinning some balls and hitting the ball flat. You will hear a big difference to the two shots. How much someone brushes the ball on contact will also indicate the amount of spin and the speed of the ball.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
To read spin, you first need to learn how to generate spin, and then learn how spin works.
A lot of people that can't read spin properly, don't really understand spin.

Good point, learning to spin really does help. I find multi ball is a good method to demonstrate and getting someone to spin effectively.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Just looking at how someone impacts the ball will get you fooled a lot, especially by those who have very awkward strokes, who are deceptive with ability to manipulate spin, or by those who just fail to impact the ball cleanly. Sound of impact as discussed before is important and it can help you toss out the bullcrap. I posted earlier in the year about a deaf Korean player I played last winter in Pyungtaek who played at or above my level without the befenit of hearing the impact like I did.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes, sound of contact is important. One of the things the pros at Spin are always complaining about with Dirty Dozen (Friday night money tournament for the pros) is that you cannot hear because on Fridays, the music is always loud. It makes it harder for them to play because you cannot hear the contact.