Hurricane long 5 golden slam

says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Best to my research and knowledge, the GS version is a regular HL5 (Version from 2022), with a bit different handle (GS has the signature of Ma Long ontop of the dragon) a dedicated serial number starting with GH and special casing/wrapping. I don’t expect it to play differently from a regular HL5.
I just ordered one as a gift and only because an Aliexpress seller had a very good price for it during Singles Day. It is kind of a collector edition and not available here in Germany. But the GS version was even cheaper than the regular HL5 they sell in Germany, so it was a nice deal.

This user has no status.
That's pretty much what I was hoping for. The very limited info that I found was a bit inconsistent - 1 suggested it felt like a mid-point between inner and outer carbon, which sounded more like the HL5X.
My hope is that it's a refined version of HL5 with better quality control but the same flexibility.
If it is stiffer then I'd prefer to go with a regular HL5.
Thanks 👍

Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
I think you can influence flexibility, by choosing the thickness of the blade. The seller was able to offer from 5.8 to 6.1mm any thickness. Same for the weight. From 88g to 92g everything can be selected. Sometimes the combination is a bit tricky. Getting 88g with 6.1mm thickness might be challenge... :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Really? I've never even considered asking for a specific thickness, just the weight. That certainly sounds like something I should ask about as it must affect the flexibility like you suggest. I had always assumed the thickness would be directly linked to the weight. As I know what weight I prefer I can ask for the thinnest they have at 88g.
Thanks again!

This user has no status.
This all sounds very promising! I would love to try a W968 but can't justify spending that much yet.
If I really click with the HL5 (or more likely the Golden) then it will be a consideration for the future. At the moment this is an experimental step up from my HL3, so I'll have to see how that goes first . . .
Thanks for the input. 👍

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This all sounds very promising! I would love to try a W968 but can't justify spending that much yet.
If I really click with the HL5 (or more likely the Golden) then it will be a consideration for the future. At the moment this is an experimental step up from my HL3, so I'll have to see how that goes first . . .
Thanks for the input. 👍

Fair enough. W968 can cost a lot. I usually buy second hand ones.

This user has no status.
I want to finish my collection with W968 blade later, but before i go there i want to buy more cheaper blades first so i can have wider collection, or at least sell something i have and replace to something else, like selling my Long 5x and upgrade it to Long 5 Golden Slam blade, if you can call it as an upgrade or if it is worth it.