I like underspin coming at me than nospin , is that normal ?

This user has no status.
Hello everyone,
I just started my third year in TT. My style now is forehand topspin big stroke mid-range and working on my backhand to be more of a two-winged attacker. It comes natural to me to topspin underpin balls because I can transfer my weight really down my right knee/leg and then transfer all this to my body then to my hand etc .. after my serve or my first topspin I move back to mid-range because I can redo the same stroke even for no spin or topspin balls from mid range by letting the ball to drop down. I had a great difficulty with nospin balls close to the table because now I know I have to do the stroke in a more horizontal fashion but I can't generate the same power because I don't lean down to my right leg anymore. I just try to move my waist horizontally but this doesn't generate ni power nor consistency. any adevice would be welcomed.

two observations:
1- I'm right-handed and left-footed.
2- For some odd reason, I have less difficulty topspinning no spin balls when pivoting.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Opening up on backspin is a more upwards movement. Spinning over nospin, or counterspinning a topspin, requires a more forward movement. You go into the ball more, and to do so your starting point may be higher and you might have to dig a little less deeply. Even if you go deep, the key is forward motion while closing your bat angle. You can still choose how much power to deploy when doing so, balancing speed and spin that way.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Opening up on backspin is a more upwards movement. Spinning over nospin, or counterspinning a topspin, requires a more forward movement. You go into the ball more, and to do so your starting point may be higher and you might have to dig a little less deeply. Even if you go deep, the key is forward motion while closing your bat angle. You can still choose how much power to deploy when doing so, balancing speed and spin that way.

Thanks , you summed it up better than me. The thing is: to counter underspin, I can have my bat near the ground which allows me to generate tremendous power on the waist and then to the hand. It is a bit awkward for me to do the same in a horizontal direction. I hope this is a better version of my original question

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hello everyone,
I just started my third year in TT. My style now is forehand topspin big stroke mid-range and working on my backhand to be more of a two-winged attacker. It comes natural to me to topspin underpin balls because I can transfer my weight really down my right knee/leg and then transfer all this to my body then to my hand etc .. after my serve or my first topspin I move back to mid-range because I can redo the same stroke even for no spin or topspin balls from mid range by letting the ball to drop down. I had a great difficulty with nospin balls close to the table because now I know I have to do the stroke in a more horizontal fashion but I can't generate the same power because I don't lean down to my right leg anymore. I just try to move my waist horizontally but this doesn't generate ni power nor consistency. any adevice would be welcomed.

two observations:
1- I'm right-handed and left-footed.
2- For some odd reason, I have less difficulty topspinning no spin balls when pivoting.
You might like attacking underpin because ball is slower. There is more time to prepare position and leverage. You might also simply like the lifting spin stroke.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
You might like attacking underpin because ball is slower. There is more time to prepare position and leverage. You might also simply like the lifting spin stroke.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

While what you just said might be true as well, I just saw a slow motion of LGY and it seems like he has the same starting point of the two strokes, only he changed the angle of his bat and where he hit the ball I guess depending on the ball coming into him . If I could implement this I would theoratically avoid the awkwardness of my big strokes to no spin balls.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
While what you just said might be true as well, I just saw a slow motion of LGY and it seems like he has the same starting point of the two strokes, only he changed the angle of his bat and where he hit the ball I guess depending on the ball coming into him . If I could implement this I would theoratically avoid the awkwardness of my big strokes to no spin balls.

Well try it out and see what happens. Since you don't have video, it is hard to recommend anything. THe starting position looks similar because he is very low, but it is different contact point on the ball and it is different to him as well. IF you are as low as him, the starting points will look similar too as you will be playing most balls off the bounce.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
One way to deal with long no spin balls is to back power off down to 50 percent, do a lifting stroke go for heavy spin land it deep.

This I like. A lot. Yet finding depth on deeply spinny balls is remarkably hard, and net clearance is very high if you do. Which is what is likely to confuse the opponent somewhat. Until they figure it out, after which you'll bet scorched by blazing counterspins whizzing by, that is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I would say , your timing and touch is lacking on the no spin balls because of your "big stroke" that you mentioned already .. looping agianst no spin needs more precise touch and timing ... try to keep your grip loose so that can you can create "good touch" and more whip ... my general approach to no spin ball is to use a smaller stroke and a looser grip .. but then that is my solution , you can try it out / find your own solution ..

for more context , I am talking about looping and not power loop driving ... in case power loop drives, you are already doing a enough whip , then it becomes more a matter of timing than touch ....

anyways , my preference agianst no spin balls which are higher and than the net height if they are short is to hit them flat , I can get more consistency out of that .... and , if you talking primarily about flicking it with a chinese rubber its more a matter of adding a little topspin to the stroke ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This I like. A lot. Yet finding depth on deeply spinny balls is remarkably hard, and net clearance is very high if you do. Which is what is likely to confuse the opponent somewhat. Until they figure it out, after which you'll bet scorched by blazing counterspins whizzing by, that is.

I would agree this to be true at an elite amature and above level. It is likely the OP is not at that level. I am certainly not, yet this shot is very effective, even against many Div 1 city amatures in Korea and 2100 level USATT players. Anyone can ask Carl or NL or anyone who has played with me live... a heavy deep topsin will get blocked off the end of table often, even if they think they are ready.

Any advice we give would apply to someone's level and also some advice is for future.

Backing off the power is easy to do. Making a balance of solid and brush contact is simple enough to do, even when someone feels tight in a match. Landing it safe and high and spinny as deep as safely possible to an uncomfortable spot is the goal.

A high arcing slow ball to one's BH unexpectedly will really throw a monkey wrench into one's game, especially those who like to be close to the table and those combo players with pips on BH.

My suggestion is effective at his level and several levels above his level. I am sure that when the OP gets to a couple levels below elite, he will have plenty of things developed and planned. My advise was/is for something he can put to immediate use with a good degree of safety and effectiveness. it will lead to other possibilities later.

Maybe the best thing it could lead to later is a mindset to NOT power crush-kill every long ball like one is the hero in a CNT video game. backing off the power and going for change/placement is still a tactic effectively used by elite amatures and pros.

There is a power version of the shot that is pretty easy to do... if one is expecting the ball (like on a dead serve) and is in position... a pretty nifty point finisher.

However, I gave the response of slowing down and going for safety/spin/placement/depth because that is one response the OP could put to use right away and not piss away points, maybe even win points... or at least be in a position to win them.

Reactions: yoass