How do i resolve some of my critical errors

This user has no status.
Sorry, I didn't mean over-straightening in the forward swing. I was specifically speaking about the back-swing, and @blahness too, I believe.
Yes I was - it's keeping the elbow bent and close to the waist at the end of the backswing, and only straightening it as you begin the forward swing (body first, and arm lagging behind)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Yes I was - it's keeping the elbow bent and close to the waist at the end of the backswing, and only straightening it as you begin the forward swing (body first, and arm lagging behind)

Yes, close and bent as the elbow passes the body back during the back-swing. That is what makes the difference for me - more close and more bent, relatively speaking.

It maybe just me, but it influences the whole back-swing movement, which then influences the forward swing, as you said too ;-)

Reactions: blahness
says preparing for a tournament
says preparing for a tournament
Sep 2023
Hey, awesome video! Good to see fellow players break a sweat :)

I recommend you take some advice from RSM, I mean he's FH GOD and what he's saying applies to shakehand as much as to pen.

I'm no coach but I can give my view. In my opinion, you make waaaaay too much arc on your drives. You don't even drive the ball just try to spin everything. Look at RSM, he attacks the ball properly you kind of just licking it.
You have the physicality to also attack it, need to hit it much more and stop licking it.
Also your balls barely go over the net, I mean you have the height to clear the net, but they almost fall short into the net. You should aim to hit at the end of the table to force your opponent out and for that you need to actually hit the ball more.

You should practice something like what Morizono is doing here at 7:40. No spin just flat-out hitting the ball.

I do this kind of warm-up almost every time and it helped me improve the speed of my drives so much. You can do this against pips too, it will improve your feeling not just your speed.
It might actually help you with your "seagull" wrist not to mention with higher balls and the bloody edges 😿

Wish you all the best!
Damn the RSM video made me realise the potential my topspin’s had, in practice I always went like 50% power and never tried full force with forward energy.

I always stay kinda close to the table and usually don’t get engaged in block-topspin rallys since I tend to try and end it with a flat shot even when the ball is low..

This results in less consistency, today I tried going full power mid distance and i was absolutely surprised by the power I could generate..

Ty for the vid, even though it wasn’t specifically for me..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Damn the RSM video made me realise the potential my topspin’s had, in practice I always went like 50% power and never tried full force with forward energy.

I always stay kinda close to the table and usually don’t get engaged in block-topspin rallys since I tend to try and end it with a flat shot even when the ball is low..

This results in less consistency, today I tried going full power mid distance and i was absolutely surprised by the power I could generate..

Ty for the vid, even though it wasn’t specifically for me..
Glad you found it helpful!

Let's make this thread a place to share our forms ? :ROFLMAO: sometimes all you need is a good blocking partner to fix your strokes - one key I learnt from the higher level player who is blocking my balls: relax your wrist, and use your body to guide your arm

View attachment 27682
Look at this absolute scam artist!!! I mean actor!

1702140040811.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Has anyone mentioned to the OP that having an always cocked and locked wrist in a forehand stroke is unnatural and makes it hard for the hand to naturally adjust to timing and to control placement just by changing the wrist angle flexibly?

Since last week i reached my all time high TTR but started struggling against players that are around 50-100 TTR points above me. Naturally that is not a big thing, but these games against those presumably better players were mostly really close. Many times i lost 2:3.
Ofcourse you can just tell me to train more, become better and you will win those but besides that i found several critical errors in my techniques that would have given me an edge over several opponents.

To give a little more insight, here is how my game plan usually works and how i force my opponents to play my game and not theirs:
Around a year ago i managed to learn to flick almost everything with my bh. Therefore i mostly serve short and flick those returns in 90% of the time. The same goes with almost every serve my opponents give me. If they serve short there is usually not enough backspin to prevent my attack. Long underspin serves are getting looped too depending on where they land.
The main issues usually start right afterwards. The better opponents (and i have a lot of those in my current league) can easily block those flicks or even counter them lightly. While the block itself is not the problem, the follow up attack that is crucially NEEDED is. Often times i try to do the FZD or Lin Shidong and clap those block but the successrate of those shots are too low, so i lose self-confidence and stop my followups. Not mentioning that they are quite risky in themselves.
Therefore i want to get better in my 2- wing loops and attacks overall so i can steparound too and use the safer forehand attack.
So i am back into more fh-training and seeing several issues that make me struggle, attacking blocks and weaker attacks (especially those):

- My wrist often times move down in mid-movement, which gives the ball much sidespin and it curves too much to the left side.
- My followup topspins has the tendency to go wide and nowadays feel somewhat off, not sure if my racketangle is the issue here or the angle of my movement overall
- My stroke could be too hard as well, but changing that would be the biggest pain imo, because if i currently try to play more cautious i tend to hit edges reeeeeeeeeeally often.

Maybe you find some more errors i werent aware of, so feel free to comment to your hearts content.
If you have any ideas and oppinions on how i might be able to fix the mentioned issues asap i would be greatfull too.

So here is some footage of the shitshow^^:

One thing I can say is that you're too stiff. the harder you want to hit, the more relaxed you have to be (that is what ryu seung min said)

Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
two cents... your swing is too big at the moment for the consistency you have. I'd suggest reducing the size of the swing and locking your wrist position until you can repeatedly hit a medium fast FH 50 times in a row. At the moment you are averaging 2-3 from a simple block.

It might sounds boring but once you have a baseline consistency you can bring the swing speed back up because your technique will likely have improved and you'll have found how your body likes to get the ball on the table reliably.

Also, get a good rebound board or robot to ensure the ball is always coming back to you. Or get your partner to give you multi ball instead of blocking, you need lots of consistent reps under your belt.

Reactions: Attitude