I Played Vs World Champion Werner Schlager | Speed Glue Edition

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
What’s going on guys, today we met up with a legend of the game, 2003 World Champion, Werner Schlager to go back in time and play with speed glue bats! We also get an insight into his career, his favourite shots, learn some of his top secret tips….. and a whole lot more!

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
AMAZING!!! Schlager is hilarious and gave out some great info here. The rallies and match were a lot of fun to watch. Thanks!

Hey Tampa! Glad you enjoyed the video, totally agree he's so much fun and his knowledge is just insane!

Just hearing the sound again after so many years brought back memories. Thank you :)
Would be interesting to know how you would rate speed and spin compared to your normal setup (and of course which rubbers were used).

Yeah Schlager really enjoyed putting the speed glue on, brought back a lot of memories :)

So we played around with a few setups. We had Bryce on 2 bats with speed glue and a couple of bats with speed glued Tenergy 05 too. Both were rockets 🚀🤣

I would say the new equipment is much harder and grippier. When you play with plastic balls and modern rubbers you feel the ball contact more and it's slower. With speed glue and bryce you feel all out speed and less contact time. We also used celluloid balls which have naturally a lot more spin and speed than the plastic ball.

Dan, what an absolute banger!

I love Schläger, the way he plays, the way he thinks about table tennis and I just really like his style. So much power and wo much brain combined is absolutely amazing.

Thanks for brining back the speed glue sound - that's a he'll of a ride through memories👍

Glad you enjoyed it buddy!

Yeah he's an absolute genius of the game! So much fun! More videos with Schlager coming soon :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Really nice video, and Schlager seems like such a character, what a legend! :)

Wish we could have seen more about the difference in feel of the rubbers and process - but i guess as its illegal you didn't go into detail?
I can barely remember speed glue as i didn't use it as was stopping playing around that time but remember trying some friends rackets and it was mental!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
It’s strange regarding Schlagers advice

I’ve always been told the contrary. If picking up the ball earlier then close the racket angle even more because there is more spin
I think Schlagers advice literally means picking up the ball right off the bounce and if so, you have to open the angle of your racket more or else that ball would go straight into the net.

Reactions: blahness
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Wish we could have seen more about the difference in feel of the rubbers and process - but i guess as its illegal you didn't go into detail?
I can barely remember speed glue as i didn't use it as was stopping playing around that time but remember trying some friends rackets and it was mental!
As go illegal, there's nothing stopping anybody from speedgluing and having fun with that. The only thing that would run contrary to ITTF's rulebooks would be to compete with it, in official tournaments/competitions.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

illegal in official competition only, outside of that... do what you want, I think using speed glued rackets with cell balls to work on serves, receives, short game and blocks is a very interesting way to train our control feeling. When you master all those areas of the game with speed glue, it's easier when you come back to "normal" setups.

Last edited:
Reactions: jammmail
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It’s strange regarding Schlagers advice

I’ve always been told the contrary. If picking up the ball earlier then close the racket angle even more because there is more spin
Hi Takkyu...

Look at the Physics involved without involving BB (but he would agree)...

Immediately off the bounce, there is maximum vertical energy/velocity... so inherently, one can open the blade more as you do not need as much lifting force.

There are also many variables of collision impact dynamics going on.... with so many factors. With a bat closed to only such and angle and a forward movement at impact, the spin changes to topspin much easier in larger amounts (WAY larger than if you just held bat)... this topspin will drop your shot in and you do not need a totally closed bat for this...

Then there is a firming at impact that will "Eat" the spin and create your own, which requires not a totally closed bat angle to do.

If you have a robot, set it to ridiculous spin and try different bat angles, bat speed, and grip pressure. Discover how they all do and you got some answers.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Dan, what an absolute banger!

I love Schläger, the way he plays, the way he thinks about table tennis and I just really like his style. So much power and wo much brain combined is absolutely amazing.

Thanks for brining back the speed glue sound - that's a he'll of a ride through memories👍

+1
I love Schlager and his style, too. And he is very funny as well, even in competitive matches in his prime. Please do more videos with him.