Is it bad or wrong to use rubber cleaner too much in your rubber?

Did you know that some tt manufacturer made an 'evil' cleaner that makes your rubber wear out quickly so you can buy another rubber ?
LOL nice way to attract customers hahah nice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Currently I'm using Joola Cleaner, but I'm going to revert to plain water. I think the cleaner remove grip and tackiness... Anyone else using vegetable oils on rubbers?

Using water? i used it on my h3 neo and my coach said that i shouldn't use it as he felt that the topsheet lost its grip and tackiness o.o
uhmm... i use it with 2 drops in a car sponge cleaner :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The cleaners actually have chemicals that cause the rubber to break down. It is not like the tt companies are doing that on purpose. It is just that, if you use any form of detergent, it causes the rubber to break down. Water on a sponge is fine and does what you need it to. Not too much water. You want the dust off and the topsheet dry as fast as possible. There are some cleaners that are designed to make the topsheet more tacky for a short time like Spin Max. Those are different but the effect does not last. They are not detergent so I do not think they break down the rubber but, they are not really needed, and the effect is very short lived and only works on Tacky type rubbers not smooth grippy Japanese or German style rubbers like Tenergy. Oils expand the rubber and so, for a few weeks they will make the topsheet more grippy. But oils do cause rubber to break down and will ultimately cause the rubber to be dead sooner.

In my opinion, if the rubber is dead, then using something like oil, to get a little more use out if it is fine. Oil on the sponge makes the sponge expand and gives a mild speed glue like effect. Oil on the topsheet can make some topsheets more grippy for a few weeks. But I would not do either of these things unless the rubber is basically dead and you are trying to prolong the life of the rubber so you don't have to buy your next sheet quite as soon. Organic rubber just breaks down and deteriorates over time you cannot stop that from happening. However, things like cleaning solutions, detergents and oils can speed that process. But since oils expand the rubber, they can have an interesting effect if the rubber is already dead.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Most cleaners seem to reduce the life of the rubber. I thought spin max actually stripped the outer layer of the rubber off which is why it made it seem more tacky (if so it also drastically reduces the life of the rubber). Is Spin max not illegal as it changes the characteristics of the rubber?

I use spit (which is basically water). Life versus effect I suppose.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
For training and such you really only want to use water and what not, but at tournaments a cleaner would technically help get sweat and grime off of the rubber. I recommend everyone stop buying rubber cleaners from the name brands. It doesn't matter if it's in spray or foam form for it to clean all Rubber cleaners use a small percentage of window/glass cleaner and distilled water. There may be other chemicals in it, but usually that's just for it to foam up or if it's in spray form it's to keep the solution from evaporating too fast. You should just try using 10 % glass cleaner and 90 % water; distilled is the best, but any kind will do for a quick clean.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think water is good enough. I would not waste time putting glass cleaner into water when water alone does the job. The detergent in the glass cleaner would probably have some of those same chemicals that is in the cleaners from the TT companies that cause the rubber on your topsheet to break down.

I think the water based Spin Max just adds a film of something that makes the topsheet a little more tacky until it is washed off. But it is true that using it would be against the rules since it will change the playing characteristics of the tophsheet, and I would not use that either.

Just water. I have seen people use paper towels, I have a cool sponge that I keep in a travel soap dish but that is not needed either. I just like it. :)

Here is good info on cleaning your rubbers from About.com: http://tabletennis.about.com/od/equipment/a/paddle_care.htm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
I also use water at the end of my session. Most cleaners can dry out the rubber faster, making it feel more dead if they are used too often. The oil on the topsheet gives some of that life back into the dying/dry rubbers, so you can use them a few more weeks/months

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
Use a bit of water + a drop of "dreft" (the thing you put in the water to do your dishes)
It will degrease the rubber and remove all dust. If you have a little spraybottle, you can just spray it on the rubber and wipe it off with a sponge.

This user has no status.
Just use a drop of dreft or other dishwashing liquid and some water to clean, if you feel the rubber has lost his grip, use a thin layer of WD40 (Google it to see what it is) and spread it out on the rubber surface evenly, let dry for about 30 min or more (repeat 2 to 3 times if necessary), your rubber will have better grip/spin again. I use this method and play 2 years with the same rubber.

You can also lightly boost a rubber by using the WD40 on the sponge side (about 2 to 3 layers also), it is a lot cheaper than Bio Booster (this is just like paraffine oil = lamp oil).

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
OMG I just bought a Butterfly cleaner and Yasaka sponge yesterday. They r quite expensive.
Any advice on how to use them correctly? Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the site invisible :)

Hope you like it here, I use to use cleaners when I was younger. You apply a thin layer to the rubber and then go over it with a sponge.. Example below

5444_0[1].jpg

However, yes these cleaners are expensive and my coach has told me.. just a minimal damp sponge with water will have the same effect :)

Hope this helps