BH rubber for CPEN

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
sup ma bois

i am looking for recommendations for a new BH rubber for my yasaka goiabao 5

i am not really searching for more spin or more speed on my BH rubber, its more of a weight problem actually

my current BH rubber is Reactor Tornado V5. in my opinion this rubber performs well on my BH. it can do it all, it blocks well, it loops well, it drives well and it lobs well.

the only problem is that it is pretty darn heavy. combined with my FH rubber my total weight is 195 grams.

last week i got a pretty bad case of tennis elbow, probably because of how heavy my blade is than what i would normally prefer (my personal preferred weight is around 180g)

for now i will replace the Tornado V5 with my 3 years old 729 Focus 3 on my BH. to me 729 Focus 3 does not perform as well as the Tornado V5, but it is light so there's that.

any recommendations? tensor and chinese are both welcome as long as they dont kill my entire arm when i loop the ball.

View attachment IMG_20231206_134054.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Since you like your current bh rubber, have you explored if it is a grip issue?

When you grip the bat constantly at 100%, it will definitely induce muscle fatigue (aka death gripping).
Try gripping your bat at various strength levels and see what is the minimal amount of strength you need to use to grip the bat with comfortable stability.
If you feel you need more stability, you can try extending your middle, ring and pinkie finger to provide better support when holding the bat. (Google xuxin's grip for reference)
By gripping the bat at a relaxed state, you allow yourself accelerate when you do your strokes, thus generating more power.

I hope this helps

Reactions: netdriver
Aug 2019
Since you like your current bh rubber, have you explored if it is a grip issue?

When you grip the bat constantly at 100%, it will definitely induce muscle fatigue (aka death gripping).
Try gripping your bat at various strength levels and see what is the minimal amount of strength you need to use to grip the bat with comfortable stability.
If you feel you need more stability, you can try extending your middle, ring and pinkie finger to provide better support when holding the bat. (Google xuxin's grip for reference)
By gripping the bat at a relaxed state, you allow yourself accelerate when you do your strokes, thus generating more power.

I hope this helps

i dont think grip issue is the main problem, i cant loop well with a tight grip in general but the weight definitely did lead to grip issues

my fingertips slip more often from my BH rubber due to sweat + the heaviness of the blade

its not much of a big problem when my total setup was around 180g

also some update, i changed rubbers to my 729 FS3 and its head heaviness is more manageable and yet for some reason the scale shows that its the same weight for me

wtf is going on?? o_O i feel like it might be that my blade absorbed too much moisture instead from sweat and constant regluing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
sup ma bois

i am looking for recommendations for a new BH rubber for my yasaka goiabao 5

i am not really searching for more spin or more speed on my BH rubber, its more of a weight problem actually

my current BH rubber is Reactor Tornado V5. in my opinion this rubber performs well on my BH. it can do it all, it blocks well, it loops well, it drives well and it lobs well.

the only problem is that it is pretty darn heavy. combined with my FH rubber my total weight is 195 grams.

last week i got a pretty bad case of tennis elbow, probably because of how heavy my blade is than what i would normally prefer (my personal preferred weight is around 180g)

for now i will replace the Tornado V5 with my 3 years old 729 Focus 3 on my BH. to me 729 Focus 3 does not perform as well as the Tornado V5, but it is light so there's that.

any recommendations? tensor and chinese are both welcome as long as they dont kill my entire arm when i loop the ball.

View attachment 27663
Maybe try a 1.8mm esn rubber? Most Chinese rubbers are max and thus not light. But at 1.8-1.9 you still can loop but you get a very light rubber.

Also you could use a lighter blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
The biggest thing about RPB is in my opinion hardness, a semi tacky hard rubber works best. I haven't played penhold in a long time but i found Yinhe mercury 2 Medium work well. Dirt cheap and works well for block and counter. Feeling is terrible i.m.o. Weight is also very low. For the price of €4 without discount you might like it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
When I played RPB I sanded down the blade to a smaller size. They're usually 162-163mm long, I would sand them down to about 159-160mm, which saves about 2 grams in blade weight alone, and it's all on the head.

As for rubbers, I don't know the throw angle of your rubber, but if it's medium then T64FX would be an excellent light weight replacement. T64 is the lightest of the Tenergies and the FX sponge further reduces weight by a couple grams.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
i dont think grip issue is the main problem, i cant loop well with a tight grip in general but the weight definitely did lead to grip issues

my fingertips slip more often from my BH rubber due to sweat + the heaviness of the blade

its not much of a big problem when my total setup was around 180g

also some update, i changed rubbers to my 729 FS3 and its head heaviness is more manageable and yet for some reason the scale shows that its the same weight for me

wtf is going on?? o_O i feel like it might be that my blade absorbed too much moisture instead from sweat and constant regluing
Yeah moisture buildup does contribute to weight.
You can consider rubbers with japanese sponge. They tend be lighter ranging around 46-48g cut. Some that I can think of are:
Stiga mantra pro series
Mizuno Q quality
Friendship 729 visnatura (this is probably the best budget option)
Everything from butterfly
Victas vj series

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I play penhold RPB. I suggest AK47yellow. Light weight. No problems with BH flick etc as well. I use it with wooden blade and carbon.

Aug 2019
Yeah moisture buildup does contribute to weight.
You can consider rubbers with japanese sponge. They tend be lighter ranging around 46-48g cut. Some that I can think of are:
Stiga mantra pro series
Mizuno Q quality
Friendship 729 visnatura (this is probably the best budget option)
Everything from butterfly
Victas vj series

how about semi-tacky options?

i tried RPB with my friend's fastarc c1 and i prefer my tornado v5 more

Aug 2019
Check out Pimplepark - Epos. It's available up to 1.9mm and weight has been for me about 42-44 grams. It's soft, tacky and has a mild catapult. On a larger blade I guess you might add a few grams...
interesting but unfortunately it looks like it is hard for me to get such rubber due to location (i am in south east asia)

Aug 2019
The biggest thing about RPB is in my opinion hardness, a semi tacky hard rubber works best. I haven't played penhold in a long time but i found Yinhe mercury 2 Medium work well. Dirt cheap and works well for block and counter. Feeling is terrible i.m.o. Weight is also very low. For the price of €4 without discount you might like it.
tried merc 2 before and i kinda dont like it

When I played RPB I sanded down the blade to a smaller size. They're usually 162-163mm long, I would sand them down to about 159-160mm, which saves about 2 grams in blade weight alone, and it's all on the head.

As for rubbers, I don't know the throw angle of your rubber, but if it's medium then T64FX would be an excellent light weight replacement. T64 is the lightest of the Tenergies and the FX sponge further reduces weight by a couple grams.
sanding the head of my blade sounds too scary for me

I play penhold RPB. I suggest AK47yellow. Light weight. No problems with BH flick etc as well. I use it with wooden blade and carbon.
how light is it in grams cut?

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
sanding the head of my blade sounds too scary for me
Once you get down to it, it is not all that. Its basically just a larger scale version of sanding blade wings for penhold grip, y just need to properly mark out where you want to sand it to. You can take as long as you want or need to, to slowly shape the blade; in this aspect the process can take quite a bit of time depending on how exact you want it to be, but I understand it is not a process for everyone