ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals Busan 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The best thing about this result for France, which might get even better on the men's side but regardless even if it stops at bronze, is that it gives extra fuel to sell the hosts as Olympic teams medal favorites. Though in reality, doubles at the Olympics adds a layer of complexity that is real.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Third singles but Hirano probably drew the toughest player from Romania?
In terms of abs, yes.
In terms of level, she is 2nd in line now.

Samara
0 H2H 3 Hirano (including this win)
2 H2H 2 Hayata
0 H2H 1 Ito

BTW, Hirano beat her on the way to win World Cup 2016 [Samara (1st win) in R16, Ito, FTW (1st win), CIC (1st win)].

It's easy to forget that she is World Cup 2012 runner-up. Guo Yue withdrew at the last minute and so LSW was the only CNT player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HlxKw5wPfQ

Samara took Hayata to the 5th at WTT CT Doha 2021, their last encounter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onbmwWXQ80g

Last edited:
Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Shinooopy did a pretty good match against the Dragon... of course he lost, but he fought much better than expected.
I wish they had played Sora in that slot, I think he could have given the Dragon more trouble, though the Dragon would have been clearly prepared.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Third singles but Hirano probably drew the toughest player from Romania?
Come on, Samara tougher than Szocs? Not even entirely clear at this point whether she is clearly tougher than Diaconu and Dragoman and Zaharias. Romania has built a tough team for a while and will be strong for a long time.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Great back and forth match between Mima Ito and Bernadette Szocs. Ito just squeezes by 11-9 in the 5th by with a great read and response of Szoc's serve at 9-9.
Will love to hear the coaching rationale for fielding Ito. @zeio , please do not fail us.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
Charlotte is more promising than her sister Camille, who is short-tempered like Alexis.

https://web.archive.org/web/2024012...3043416426&w=3VVHb863ae50cMcFBrWyn563dBYXp3v2
Charlotte Lutz vs CIC
G1 810, 1210
G2 41, 42, 52, 53, 73, 75, 85, 105, 109 TO for Lutz, 119
G3 04, 24, 25, 35, 46, 66 TO for CIC, 611
G4 08, 19, 29, 211
G5 01, 31, 33, 53, 54, 64, 66, 76, 77, 87, 810, 1110, 1112, 1212, 1214
G6 31, 33, 53, 54, 55 Lutz served into the net, 56, 66, 611
The 18-year-old started playing senior event last year.

Jan 2018
An article by Takagi Mina on Tasei apologizing to his players for the poor draw. Harimoto was watching the live stream in his room while gluing his rubbers. He was in a confused state after seeing the draw and he had doubt about his glue job even until the next afternoon...

https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2024/02/032941.html
「自分の引き(の悪さ)にびっくりしました。ホント、驚いてます」

朝、選手たちが集合した際、「申し訳ない」と詫びたというが勝機がないわけではない。

「中国と前回(世界卓球2022成都・団体戦)あれだけの戦い方をしているし、あとは篠塚も田中も輝空も初出場で中国のトップの選手と(試合を)やるってなかなかないですから。みんな調子がいいので、持てる力を最大限に発揮してほしい。必ず難しい試合になる。最初は自信を持ってコートに入っても、試合中に自信をなくしたり。ただそういう気持ちも含め、最後まで強い気持ちで戦ってほしいです」

張本は真夜中に行われた組み合わせ抽選会の様子を滞在先のホテルでインターネット配信で見ていたという。ドローが決まった瞬間どう思ったのか?

「正直、引きたくはなかったですけど、第5シードで今大会を迎えてしまった僕たちが悪いので。抽選会はラバーを変えながら見ていました。(ライブ配信を)見終わった後にラバーを貼り終えたんですけど、いつもより力が入らなくて、『どうしよう、上手く貼れたかな?』と混乱状態。翌日の試合が午後からだったので、お昼に試打しに来て『貼れてなかったらどうしよう』って少し不安だったんですけど、ちゃんと貼れてました」

率直な心境を物語るエピソードだ。しかし、自力でパリオリンピック出場の切符を手にした今は違う。超えなくてはならない世界最強・中国の壁にぶつかっていくだけと腹を括っている。

「今の篠塚、松島のプレーだと2年前(の成都大会)よりも可能性はある。自分が2点取れるか分からないですけど、自分は自分の試合に集中するだけ。その先に勝ちか負けかはまた付いてくる」

Jan 2018
Nothing on the reasoning behind the order so far. Will keep an eye out.

In the post-match interview, Ito says this was the 2nd match for her, in which she played a very good match under a great atmosphere, that despite being an intense match, she was able to win in the end and she is overjoyed.

Hayata says Ito winning her first match made it easier for her and that she is happy Watanabe fields her in every match, likely referring to how she got benched against her will in the final at WTTC 2022 (11/02/2022 at 2:20pm).

Hirano says she got a ton of advice from "Coach Ito" and whenever she missed she would turn around and Ito would tell her through her face "this!" "right!". LOL

トップで接戦を制した伊藤美誠「めちゃくちゃ楽しかったです!」と満面のスマイル! 日本女子が5大会連続のメダルを決める【世界卓球】
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2024/02/032947.html
■女子日本代表 試合後インタビュー

Q. トップバッター、伊藤美誠さんです。苦しみましたが、素晴らしいスマイルもありましたが。

伊藤:私にとっては今回2試合目で、すごく雰囲気のいい中で試合ができてとても楽しかったですし、すごい接戦でしたけど、最後は勝つことができて、なんか笑顔いっぱい飛び出ました!

Q. 楽しかったですか。

伊藤:はい、めちゃくちゃ楽しかったです!

Q. 相手の出方に苦しんだところがありましたが、見事な適応能力を見せました。

早田:1ゲーム目、4本ネットされて、1本角があって、スーパープレーもあったりとかで、その中で1ゲームを落としてしまったんですけど、

2ゲーム目からしっかり気持ち切り替えて、自分の攻めの卓球というのを貫くことができたので、美誠も1番でしっかり難しい試合を勝ち切ってくれて、1-0で回してくれたので、私もすごい試合がやりやすかったです。

Q. 今大会は絶好調ですね。

早田:そう言っていただけて、本当にすごく嬉しいですし、監督に今のところ全て起用してもらって、こうやって勝利 に貢献できているので、引き続き明日の準決勝、そして決勝と、しっかり自分ができることを精一杯やっていきたいなと思っています。

Q. そして、締めたのは平野美宇さんです。決めましたね。

平野:ここが最終の目指すところではないんですけど、まずメダルを獲得できたことは良かったと思うので、ここからが本番という気持ちを常に持って、明日からも頑張っていきたいです。

Q. 「伊藤美誠監督」からはどういうアドバイスを受けましたか。

平野:本当にたくさんアドバイスをいただいて、ついに今日はミスした時に後ろを見て、「これ!」「合ってる!」って顔で言っていただきました(笑)。

Q. 明日は香港戦です。一言お願いします。

早田:今日みたいに本当に厳しい戦いになるとは思うんですけど、1点ずつ、チームとしても1点ずつ取り合って、みんなで5人で力合わせて頑張っていきたいと思います!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Shine
Jan 2018
Post-match interview with Harimoto, Matsushima and Shinozuka.

Courtesy of Google Translate.

日本男子 中国に敗れ2大会連続のメダルならず。張本智和「パリを終えたときに後悔しないように」【世界卓球】
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2024/02/032950.html
■日本男子代表 試合後インタビュー

Q. 試合を終えて感想を

松島:一番(1試合目)で出させてもらって、最初は少し緊張したんですけど、本当に楽しみがすごくて。最後競った場面での一本が遠いなと感じて。

でも逆に全然、戦える実力には来ていると感じました。

Q. どういったところが一番(相手の樊振東が)強く感じましたか

松島:最後の一本粘ってきたりとか、どんなボールを打っても返ってくるので、一本が遠いなとは感じました。

Q. その一本の差を埋めるために何が必要か

松島:少し焦ってミスが多かったりだとか、あとはサーブレシーブで少し先手を取られていたので、そこをもっと修正できれば、勝てる試合だったかなと思います。

Q. 張本選手、1ゲーム目はすばらしいプレーでしたね

張本:1ゲーム目を取らないことには試合にならないと思っていたので、第1ゲーム何とか取れたんですけど、2ゲーム目以降、相手の修正が早かったですし。

どんどん地力の差が表れてしまったので、やっぱり2ゲーム目、3ゲーム目を取るのは本当に簡単じゃないと思いました。

Q. 2年前と比べての王楚欽選手の成長は

張本:1ゲームを取られても崩れないところです。前回は1ゲームを取ったところで、少し凡ミスも増えていたんですけど、2ゲーム目以降、凡ミスどころか、より精度の高いボールが何度も来たので。

そこはメンタル的にも、技術的にも強くなったんじゃないかなと思います。

Q. 苦しい試合の中で、どういったところが効いたと思いますか

張本:バックハンドを振れているときは、相手のクロスに決まっていましたし。フォアハンドのカウンターも何本か、ミスは多かったんですけど、前よりは入っていると思うので。

この調子で、もっと練習を続けて、一歩でも近づけたらいいのかなと思います。

Q. これから半年、パリ五輪に向けて何が必要か

張本:正直、今日はラリー力ではあまり負けてなかったんですけど、やっぱり3球目(攻撃)4球目(攻撃)、サーブからの連携の部分ですごく差を感じたので。

先手を取れるように、サーブレシーブ、そのあとの3球目4球目の練習をもっと取り入れていきたいと思います。

Q. 篠塚選手、序盤はサーブにすごく苦労していたように感じましたが、馬龍のサーブについて

篠塚:最初自分で行こうとしすぎて、ミスしてしまっていたんですけど、3ゲーム目ぐらいから、そんなに無理しなくてもラリーしてくれるっていうことに気づいて。

そこから結構ラリーでも点数が取れていたので、もっと早く気づけばよかったなと思いました。

Q. 1ゲーム目は連続でロングサーブを出す場面もありました。それは試合前から考えていましたか

篠塚:そうですね。結構バックロング(サーブを)出したときに、入れてくるというのを動画を見て思っていたので。ロングサーブを多く使おうと試合前から決めていました。

Q. ラリー戦ではほとんど負けていなかったと思いますが、馬龍のボールの威力とか、試合前に思っていたことと何が違いましたか

篠塚:思ったより威力がなくて、自分としては結構取りやすくて、ラリーができたので少し自信になりました。

Q. 今回はじめて世界卓球に出場して

篠塚:少し前の自分だったら、1つ前のオーストリア戦でも勝てていたかわからなかったですし、そういった意味では成長しているなと感じていました。

Q. (松島選手は)中国戦、対戦してみて自信になりましたか

松島:そうですね、本当に少し競れたっていうのは自信になりましたし、でも、やっぱり一本が遠いなっていう風には今回感じました。

Q. ここから何を鍛えていきますか

松島:シンガポール(スマッシュ)だったり、WTTがあるので、そこに向けてフォアハンドだったり、レシーブの精度を上げていきたいです。

Q. 今回はじめての世界卓球で、自分に総合点をつけるなら

松島:80~90点(ほどに)はいいパフォーマンスを出せたと思います。

Q.張本選手、いよいよ半年後にパリ五輪です。これから半年間何をしていきましょう

張本:本当にパリを終えたときに後悔しないように、生活面もそうですし、卓球面も。卓球選手である前に、一人の人間なので、やっぱり普段、卓球以外の時間をどう使うか、そこが大事だと思いますね。
■Japan Men's National Team Post-match interview

Q. What are your thoughts after the match?

Matsushima: I was a little nervous at first when I was allowed to play in Ichiban (the first game), but I was really looking forward to it. I felt like the one in the last race was a long way off.

But on the contrary, I felt that I had reached the ability to compete at all.

Q. What did you feel the most strongly about (his opponent, Fan Zhendong)?

Matsushima: He held on for the last shot, and no matter what ball he hit, it came back, so I felt like it was a long shot.

Q. What is needed to close that one gap?

Matsushima: I was a little rushed and made a lot of mistakes, and I was a little ahead of the game with my serve and receive, so I think if I could correct those issues, I could have won the match.

Q. Harimoto, you played great in the first game.

Harimoto: I thought it wouldn't be a match if I didn't win the first game, so I managed to win the first game, but after the second game, my opponent made quick adjustments.

As the difference in strength became more and more apparent, I realized that it would not be easy to win the second and third games.

Q. How has Wang Chuqin grown compared to two years ago?

Harimoto: Even if we lose one game, we won't collapse. Last time he won one game, and he made a little more common mistakes, but from the second game onwards, instead of making common mistakes, he made many more accurate balls.

I think I have become stronger both mentally and technically.

Q. What do you think worked in this difficult match?

Harimoto: When I was swinging my backhand, I was certain it would be my opponent's cross. I made a few forehand counters and made a lot of mistakes, but I think I'm getting more in there than before.

I think it would be a good idea to keep practicing like this and get one step closer.

Q. What do you need to do in the next six months to prepare for the Paris Olympics?

Harimoto: To be honest, I didn't really lose in terms of rally ability today, but I felt a big difference in the third pitch (attack), fourth pitch (attack), and coordination from the serve.

I would like to practice more on serve-receive, then the third and fourth pitches so that I can take the lead.

Q. Shinozuka, I felt like you had a lot of trouble serving in the early stages, but what about Ma Long's serve?

Shinozuka: At first I was trying too hard to go on my own and ended up making mistakes, but around the third game I realized that I didn't have to push myself too hard and the players would rally.

From then on, I was able to score quite a lot in rallies, so I wish I had realized this sooner.

Q. In the first game, there were times when you made long serves consecutively. Did you think about that before the match?

Shinozuka: That's right. I thought from watching the video that when I served a long serve back, he would put it in. I decided before the match that I would use a lot of long serves.

Q. I don't think you lost most of the rally matches, but what was different from what you thought before the match, such as the power of Ma Long's ball?

Shinozuka: It wasn't as powerful as I expected, but it was pretty easy for me to take, and I was able to rally, which gave me a little more confidence.

Q. This is your first time participating in the World Table Tennis Championships.

Shinozuka: A little while ago, I didn't know if I would have won the match against Austria the match before, and I felt like I was growing in that sense.

Q. (Matsushima) Did you gain confidence after playing against China?

Matsushima: Well, I was able to compete a little, which gave me confidence, but this time I felt like I still had a long way to go.

Q. What will you train from here?

Matsushima: There will be Singapore (Smash) and WTT, so I want to improve my forehand and receiving accuracy in preparation for that.

Q. This is my first time at World Table Tennis, how would you rate yourself overall score?

Matsushima: I think I was able to perform well, scoring 80-90 points.

Q. Harimoto, the Paris Olympics are finally coming up in six months. What shall we do for the next six months?

Harimoto: I want to make sure that I don't have any regrets when I'm really done with Paris, both in terms of life and table tennis. Before I'm a table tennis player, I'm a human being, so I think it's important how I use my time outside of playing table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Harimoto played ok, but his style is overly dependant on bang bang fast paced rallying. When he gets hot, its amazing how many difficult shots he can retrieve with pace. When he is hot, he might be the best rallyer in the world. But it looks hard to do over an entire tournament.

Matsushima is younger, but plays a more "professional" style. He plays a lot more short points, creates and finishes more opportunity balls. He almost had fzd on the ropes a few times.

Jan 2018
That is one weird reason to field Ito over Harimoto...

日本女子、ルーマニアに完勝し、メダルを決めた! 準決勝で香港と対戦
https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/165168
日本男子と同時、20時にスタートする予定だったのが、その前に行われた女子準々決勝のフランス対ドイツが熱戦となり、かなり開始が遅れたこの試合。トップで起用されたのは張本美和ではなく、伊藤美誠。「遅れて始まったので、1ゲーム目は思ったより体が動いていなかった」という伊藤。1ゲーム目を先取されたが、2ゲーム目以降は速攻と多彩な技を織り交ぜ、終盤の勝負どころでは思い切った回り込み攻撃も見せた。

「スッチ選手は最近とても強いし、向かってきたらさらに強いと思っていたので、自分も『負けないぞ』と思っていた。今は世界ランキングもスッチ選手のほうが上なので、思い切ってやろうという気持ちだった。最後は回り込みスマッシュも入って良かったです」(伊藤)

2番の早田は序盤で回り込んでの強打がドラゴマンのブロックにつかまる場面が多く、1ゲーム目を落としたものの、2ゲーム目以降は「粘るところは粘る、攻めるところは攻める」と落ち着いたプレー。持ち前の強打を随所に見せ、隙のない試合を見せた。今大会の早田は本当に強い。

「私が1ゲーム目を落とした時にはルーマニアにもまだ希望が見えている雰囲気があったけれど、私が声を出すのにベンチの若いふたり(木原・張本)も乗ってきてくれた。それに自分も応えようと思いましたし、本当に良いチームになってきたと思います」(早田)

3番の平野は競り合いも予想できたが、サービスからの攻撃が正確に決まっていく。「得意の巻き込みサービス以外のサービスも、今大会は得点につなげられている」と語る平野。ベテランのサマラを相手に、今大会で一番出来の良い試合を見せ、日本はストレートでルーマニアを下した。明日の準決勝の対戦相手は、チャイニーズタイペイを大激戦の末に下した香港だ。

◎渡辺武弘監督・試合後のコメント
「(張本ではなく伊藤を起用した理由は?)伊藤は調子が良かったし、ルーマニア戦は伊藤に出てほしいと思っていた。競ってヒヤッとはしましたけど、勝つと思っていました。
2番のドラゴマンは調子が良くてびっくりしましたけど、早田は1ゲーム目を落とした後、2ゲーム目以降は良かった。3番の平野は体調も良くなり、スイングも速くなっていますね。明日対戦する香港はタイペイとの試合を見ると調子を上げているけど、しっかり勝っていきます。メダル確定よりもオリンピックを決めたときのほうが正直うれしかったところもありますけど(笑)、明日しっかり勝って中国に挑みたいですね」
The match was scheduled to start at 8 p.m. at the same time as Japan's men's match, but the women's quarterfinal match between France and Germany was hotly contested before that, and the start was delayed considerably. It was not Harimoto Miwa who was appointed as 1st singles, but Ito Mima. "Because of the delay, I didn't move as much as I thought I would in the first game," said Ito. Even though she dropped the first game, but from the second game onward, she used a combination of quick attacks and a variety of techniques, and showed a bold flanking attack in the final game.

"Szocs has been very strong lately and I thought she would be even stronger when she faced me, so I was like, 'I'm not going to lose,' and now she's higher in the world ranking, so I was ready to take a plunge. I'm glad I got a flanking smash at the end."

2nd singles Hayata dropped the first game because her strong hits were often caught by Dragoman's block in the early stages, but from the second game onwards, she played calmly, saying, "I will stick to what I need to do, and I will attack where I need to attack." She showed her strong hits everywhere and displayed an impeccable match. Hayata is really strong in this tournament.

"When I dropped the first game, there was still a glimmer of hope in Romania, but the two young players on the bench (Kihara and Harimoto) came on board and cheered on, so I tried to respond to that, and I think we have become a really good team," said Hayata.

3rd singles Hirano was expected to meet resistance, but the attacks starting from the service were decided precisely. "Services other than the hook serve, which is my specialty, have also led to scores in this tournament," said Hirano. Against veteran Samara, she displayed her best match of the tournament, with Japan beating Romania in straight matches. Tomorrow's semifinal opponent will be Hong Kong, who defeated Chinese Taipei in a hard-fought match.

◎Coach Watanabe Takehiro's post-match comments
"Why did you use Ito instead of Harimoto? Ito was in good form and I wanted her to play against Romania. Even though it was closely contested, I thought she would win.
I was surprised that Dragoman, the 2nd singles, was in good form, but Hayata was good from the second game on after dropping the first game. Hirano, the 3rd singles, is in better shape and swinging faster. Hong Kong, who we will face tomorrow, is in good form when we look at their match against Taipei, but we will try to win the match. To be honest, I was happier when qualifying for the Olympics than when winning a medal (laughs), but I want to win tomorrow and challenge China."

Jan 2018
Ito is really at her limit here. The point at 6:8 of G5 shows clearly. She could've reached that FH in the last Olympic cycle.
Ito's face after that point tells me she was stretched thin. You wouldn't see her make that face a few years ago. It was fortunate that Ito still had the TO there, the momentum was already going the way of Szocs. At 9:9, Szocs made the mistake of serving half-long instead of deep to the corner not once but twice.

https://youtu.be/rwdEjcj_eRo?t=2590

Harimoto played ok, but his style is overly dependant on bang bang fast paced rallying. When he gets hot, its amazing how many difficult shots he can retrieve with pace. When he is hot, he might be the best rallyer in the world. But it looks hard to do over an entire tournament.

Matsushima is younger, but plays a more "professional" style. He plays a lot more short points, creates and finishes more opportunity balls. He almost had fzd on the ropes a few times.
Indeed, Harimoto will never win from Wang again and will stick to 1 win. Rather, it will be one of his teammates who will be able to win from Wang CQ

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
What's the head to head again? 9-2?

I think Hari needs a Shinto prayer to evade WCQ's bracket in the Olympics.

Because if his ranking doesn't improve much this year, he just might be knocked out by the quarters.

Of course, he'll be very happy to face Fan, his reactions are faster, and Fan's predictable serves and placement gives him time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What's the head to head again? 9-2?

I think Hari needs a Shinto prayer to evade WCQ's bracket in the Olympics.

Because if his ranking doesn't improve much this year, he just might be knocked out by the quarters.

Of course, he'll be very happy to face Fan, his reactions are faster, and Fan's predictable serves and placement gives him time.
Harimoto largely needs to defend his middle more aggressively and I suspect that will happen more and more as he develops better footwork. At the age of 20, it is possible to write off a player but I am not sure it is a wise idea in this case, especially when this match could easily have been a white wash if played 3 months ago. But we will see...