Japan's TT Youtube outfit WRM visits Korea for a matchup with team of Youtuber Takkyu

This user has no status.
I've seen many times the YG serve tutorials from Hamakawa but unable to put it in practice

its a pity because wow, his opponent, who's not a noob, he can't handle it at all...

Gucchy's level seem to have dropped a lot. I wasn't impressed by his performance. I never liked his technique, he looks a bit awkward

And Kojima he's won without hitting a single fast drive... lol
when do i switch to long pips ?

• Haha
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
I've seen many times the YG serve tutorials from Hamakawa but unable to put it in practice

its a pity because wow, his opponent, who's not a noob, he can't handle it at all...

Gucchy's level seem to have dropped a lot. I wasn't impressed by his performance. I never liked his technique, he looks a bit awkward

Kojima actually attacked quite a few times against backspin with the classic LP attack. I think Kojima's opponent played a bit too impatiently and with not enough spin variation in his loops. LP penhold is indeed nasty stuff. Kojima didn't even need to twiddle to his inverted side to win?!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
YG = Young Generation

The reverse pendulum is a relatively new serve. According to Chinese sources, a Polish player by the name 布熱夫斯基 (which I haven't matched to the specific player) is often credited for inventing it in the late 90s.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.

Gucchy is probably the weakest among his team, he has quite a few technique issues... the funny thing is that there were others in the team who coached him and he never fixed them anyway.

Hamakawa's reverse pendulum looks nasty af. Even if you know exactly what spin is on it, you don't know how much and are you able to control this amount of spin?!
However, from the video his serve movement is not that deceptive in terms of concealing the sideunder to sidetop difference, both versions look too different to each other imo.

I feel like the Koreans play a little too standard and they didn't put a lot of thought into incorporating special weapons, which is why they lost. Imo Kojima probably eats these standard players for breakfast.

The way he lost was due to his BH opening loop, he just couldn't go down the line with it. If you can't do that then the LP player is just there waiting to handle your loop with all sorts of disgusting strokes. Also if he pushes, it's the easiest ball to attack for LP so he was in deep trouble. He didn't lunge forward to do aggressive pushes to put the LP player in time and positioning trouble. Also that BH opening loop had no spin variation in it, it was not to his advantage to open so spinny but yet he did time and time again...

In China, Fang Bo revealed that quite a few on the CNT 2nd team couldn't beat Zhou Xintong (LP + SP penholder). Kinda crazy to think about it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Gucci, the master of no backhand loop amateur table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Nah he's probably a bit over 2000 USATT. in the Chinese system I think he's less than 2000, provincial players are usually 2400+.
Really are you sure!?

Just looking at his videos, he seems a lot better than these WRM guys. His stroke seems more solid and confident and powerful. But yeah, I've never watched him play an actual match.

I don't think he's a bit over 2000. Even I can compete with 2000 guys, but he seems a whole different level from 2000 guys I've seen.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014

This is the only video I've found of Gan actually playing a match, its just judging from a single match but I don't think it's exactly fair to say that he's only "just a bit over usatt2000," but it does seem to me that he probably used to train a lot more in the past and was able to play at a higher level than what is shown in the video. It does say in his YouTube channel info that he is an ex provincial player for Guangxi province, but I'm really not sure the overall level scaling of these provincial players, at least the provincial players that come to the US to coach most commonly slot in pretty comfortably between usatt2300-2500. The way he played in the video it seems he would definitely get smoked by Hamakawa, Kojima and their respective opponents

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

This is the only video I've found of Gan actually playing a match, its just judging from a single match but I don't think it's exactly fair to say that he's only "just a bit over usatt2000," but it does seem to me that he probably used to train a lot more in the past and was able to play at a higher level than what is shown in the video. It does say in his YouTube channel info that he is an ex provincial player for Guangxi province, but I'm really not sure the overall level scaling of these provincial players, at least the provincial players that come to the US to coach most commonly slot in pretty comfortably between usatt2300-2500. The way he played in the video it seems he would definitely get smoked by Hamakawa, Kojima and their respective opponents
I didn't know these WRM guys were so good. I've never really watched them too seriously though. I thought they were just EJ enthusiasts.

I didn't realize Kojima was that good. I just thought he was famous for his crazy style. I only saw him play a match against Kenta Matsudaira once.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

And when I think of ex-provincial players, I think of Kou Lei and Ma Jinbao, who are both 2700. I thought Gan might be 2600 if he is ex-provincial as well but not as competitive as Kou Lei or Ma Jinbao.

So what level are these WRM guys?

This user has no status.
I didn't know these WRM guys were so good. I've never really watched them too seriously though. I thought they were just EJ enthusiasts.

I didn't realize Kojima was that good. I just thought he was famous for his crazy style. I only saw him play a match against Kenta Matsudaira once.
Hamakawa is seriously good and is probably the strongest WRM player and Kojima a close second. If you look at how tight their games are and the shot quality they would destroy Gan for sure.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hamakawa is seriously good and is probably the strongest WRM player and Kojima a close second. If you look at how tight their games are and the shot quality they would destroy Gan for sure.
So I guess Hamakawa and Kojima never made it to the Japanese national team?

But are they pro players for the private league teams? Are they just one step removed from being on the JNT?

After watching the video of Gan, yeah he doesn't seem really in form or consistent. But his match didn't look like anything that I imagine a provincial player match. I imagine a provincial match to be like Kou Lei vs Ma Jinbao. So that's why I thought Gan would be good just based on that.

This user has no status.
So I guess Hamakawa and Kojima never made it to the Japanese national team?

But are they pro players for the private league teams? Are they just one step removed from being on the JNT?

After watching the video of Gan, yeah he doesn't seem really in form or consistent. But his match didn't look like anything that I imagine a provincial player match. I imagine a provincial match to be like Kou Lei vs Ma Jinbao. So that's why I thought Gan would be good just based on that.
Japanese national team is damn strong lol with guys like Harimoto and Togami in it which is another whole new level.

Probably someone knows better but they're probably more like the Japanese provincial team level (similar to Chinese provincial team level). Also Chinese provincial team level has a lot of variations too, it depends on whether you're in the top tier or bottom tier, in a highly competitive province or not, etc...