says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Views are my own and I'm by no way acting as a spokesperson for the AC here. My view is the rule should be abolished immediately. It is purely an administration rule brought on by officials with little insight into the sport. It was not created to address any problem in the sport - spectators, players, doctors, coaches were not the ones requesting to ban boosters. The only justifications I have ever heard to this rule is that table tennis should be a clean sport (mineral oil is clean, no adverse health effects, heck you can drink it) and that everyone should have a level playing field (remove the rule and everyone will have a level playing field).

It irritates me to see these big rooms full of officials at major events getting our their eye pieces to measure 0.04mm on rubbers and blowing on their (unreliable) air sensor devices to see if a poor unassuming player accidentally spilled some oil while rubbing it on his baby's bottom.

I've never tried any Japanese national team level rubbers, but I heard many of the top top Europeans say they wish their Tenergy were as good as the Tenergy the Japanese Butterfly sponsored players receive.

I agree with this all the way. The Japanese team gets the best Tenergy so, for Jun to complain about other people boosting is a little off in my opinion.

Also, there is no real reason for a ban on boosters that are safe. If the ban on non-VOC boosters was lifted, then it is a personal choice whether you boost or not. If you choose to boost with non-VOC boosters I don't see a problem.

As far as making a level playing field, I agree that lifting the ban on non-VOC boost is the only way to do something close to that. You cannot make it so that everyone has the same equipment. That is ridiculous. Then we might as well ban sponge, pips, antispin, different kinds of wood, Carbon. Give everyone the same exact piece of equipment. I don't think so. Different playing styles use different equipment. There is more difference between antispin and Tenergy than there is between Tenergy and boosted Tenergy. There is more difference between Hurricane and Tenergy than there is between Tenergy and Boosted Tenergy. There is more difference between a Timo Boll ALC and a Primorac Off- than there is between a Tenergy and a boosted Tenergy.

So, if, by saying, "level playing field" you mean that you use what ever equipment you have, then there is absolutely no reason to ban non-VOC boost, because it does less to change the playing characteristics of a sponge than just getting a completely different kind of setup. If, by saying, "level the playing field" you meant that everyone should use the same exact piece of equipment, then you are dreaming, delusional, and don't understand how the presence of different kinds of equipment add to the texture, color and richness of the sport.

Back in the hardbat days there still was some actual variety because different kinds of wood are different. But Marty Reisman, much as I loved him, and I did know him, was a one of a kind character. But a lot of his protest about the introduction of sponge had more to do with the fact that, without sponge, he was the best player in the world at the time of the introduction of sponge. And once sponge was introduced, it was clear that he was just another great player. He preferred the idea of going out on top than sharing the throne with others.

So, lets celebrate the differences that allow a player like Joo Se Hyuk to excel and not worry about non-VOC boosters which help offensive players excel as well. And nobody needs to complain that the quality of the Tenergy that Jun Mizutani and the rest of the Japanese team has been getting is far and away better than what Butterfly gives to the rest of the world. :)

Last edited:
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
So Jun has confirmed he is competing in the Kuwait Open... I think he is now in main preparation phase for the WTTC 2013 and has realized that not much can change for now perhaps.... Also he sponsors will want him to play...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
So Jun has confirmed he is competing in the Kuwait Open... I think he is now in main preparation phase for the WTTC 2013 and has realized that not much can change for now perhaps.... Also he sponsors will want him to play...

Αctually I am speculating that his sponsors forced him to stop his boycott and he had no choice. His "fight" was too romantic to succeed anyway

Administrator
Oct 2010
Αctually I am speculating that his sponsors forced him to stop his boycott and he had no choice. His "fight" was too romantic to succeed anyway

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing... he would have been pressured by many various types of associations. Preparing for WTTC, sponsors etc..

This user has no status.
He should start boosting to be even. I actually do not see anything rightnow that will stop boosting. How are they going to do with rubbers that come factory tuned? Are they going to stop manufacturing them? Anyways of you boost your rubbers and have a fast blade a a fast rubber you still need good technique to be Able to perform well. Just remember When william henzell had to use his replacement blade. IT was slightly faster and it was harder for him to play his game...

Administrator
Oct 2010
Looks like Jun Mizutani is back in action guys :) He plays Ma Long in the next round of the Kuwait Open. Does anyone have any further information on this topic?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I would like to point out something that maybe many players dont know . The whole thing with the speed glue issue was not about health . Speed glue exists from the early 80's . Isnt it strange that after 28 years of existence , suddenly speed glue and VOC's are considered hazardous from the ITTF . Let's get the facts straight .

Cancer cannot be caused exclusively by hazardous substances . Of course im not claiming that if you inhale 1000 litres of speed glue in 20 years nothing bad will happen to you . That is common sense . Andreej Grubba didnt die just because of VOC's ...

The TT industry was hungry for more money and there was the time and the place to introduce tensor rubbers , plus the fact that ITTF wanted the game to be more viewer friendly than it was .
So , now we know that industry rules the game as it does in every economical situation in life . I dont know if Mizutani is totally alone in his decision (or affected by others, in higher influential positions in the game of TT) , but i dont think he will achieve boosters to be banned . Everybody knows the chinese boost and they will be the best even if they stop them from boosting

There are more important issues to solve for the ITTF , like the service rule . The olympic final was a disaster , and the men's singles quarter final also . Fans want to watch quality table tennis not some referee and the players arguing if the serve was legal or not . Even better ITTF has a difficult task to commercialize the game of table tennis in order to make it bigger and viewer friendly .

Personally i dont think boosters are much of a problem

What happened in the OG MS QF? I saw the WS final so know about that, what was the issue in the mens singles? which match had th problem with serves?
what do you propose be changed about the service rule?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
What happened in the OG MS QF? I saw the WS final so know about that, what was the issue in the mens singles? which match had th problem with serves?
what do you propose be changed about the service rule?

Michael maze against Dimitrij Ovtcharov was punished 2 or 3 times with the "fault serve" regulation. He lost his temper and played badly afterwards. Same thing has happened to WTTTC 2012 at some preliminary rounds where the umpire faulted 6-7 serves in just one set! This rule must change...it destroys the beauty of the game

I think that the rule must be more elastic, because almost none of the pro players serves correctly (throwing the ball "almost" vertical).

They should fault the serve only when the ball is not visible at its upwards or downwards motion (chen weixing and patrick baum hide the ball sometimes with their head being an obstacle, i dont know if they do this on purpose)

The rule should also be strict with serves that have a low throw height. Ding ning and kenta matsudaira for example they dont throw the ball up to 16 cm height and sometimes the opponent cannot read the spin. This happens because they cant react fast enough (especially if they are not used to these serves) from the time the ball is thrown to the time that it is being hit.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
This is interesting, from the Executive Committee of the ITTF:
  • ITTF Executive Vice President Mr. Koji Kimura presented a revolutionary way to detect "boosters" in rackets without having to remove the racket coverings. "Boosters" are types of oils that some players use by coating the sponge in the racket covering, which expands and provides more speed and more spin for the user. The new method would be 'Non-invasive" and measures the rebound of a ball off the racket. If the rebound is beyond the normal standards for "non-boosted" rackets then it would mean that the racket has been manipulated and boosters introduced and the player would be disqualified. "Further tests will be conducted and we hope to introduce this method in the near future" said ITTF President Adham Sharara.
Also, Sharara will be ITTF's President for another term xD

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
ITTF Executive Vice President Mr. Koji Kimura presented a revolutionary way to detect "boosters" in rackets without having to remove the racket coverings. "Boosters" are types of oils that some players use by coating the sponge in the racket covering, which expands and provides more speed and more spin for the user. The new method would be 'Non-invasive" and measures the rebound of a ball off the racket. If the rebound is beyond the normal standards for "non-boosted" rackets then it would mean that the racket has been manipulated and boosters introduced and the player would be disqualified. "Further tests will be conducted and we hope to introduce this method in the near future" said ITTF President Adham Sharara.

What a laughable suggestion. That guy is just obsessed about the topic.

By the way, there is talk of a suggestion to make the service rule so that both umpires (one each side) must be able to see the ball at all times. Understand that not many players play with 2 umpires but what are your thoughts?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Dear Mr. Mizutaney Jun
In response to your rightful protests we're pleased to inform as follows:

-- ITTF EQC has recently decided to enforce players submitting their rackets for special tests upon completion of the last possible match. The working schedule of final tests is under ITTF approval process for now. Yes, players will have to dismount their rubbers for the final verification.
-- To your special satisfaction, we have now got an ultra-sensitive testing instrument able to detect boosters even if a slight application on the sponge layer.

Be happy
ITTF engineering group

pending_resized.jpg

Last edited: